Thoughts on Powder coating my wheels?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by dustybottoms, May 7, 2009.

1. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Member

I'd love to either powder coat them or have them painted anthracite. Trouble is, the lip is chrome (which I badly want to change), I've never taken apart 3 piece wheels, and wouldn't trust my work. What do you guys think? Are there any good local powder coating shops? Any ideas on cost?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Millers powdercoating in lilburn has a set of mine right now. Its about 300 to 400 per set. As for taking apart a multipiece wheel, its not hard, but have new hardware available and do It correctly

3. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

+1 for Millers.

Great work and only charged me $250.

4. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

might want to talk to breel on here, he does powder coating from time to time

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

putting the three piece wheels back together is pretty tricky, you use some sort of lock tight/sealant on each bolt, if you use too much it will make a mess with dripping or if not enough then it might leak air, oh and of course torquing every single bolt in somewhat of a pattern. The person doing this has to have some sort of experience is all i am saying.

i say it looks pretty good as is

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

will not touch these, to much time to prep each part. people would balk at the price if charged by the hour plus material

Being 3-pc, I would think Miller would charge more also.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

Before you do anything with those wheels, contact the manufacturer in regards to assembly specs, I know that with the modular BBS wheels on the RSR, a lot of care has to be taken in reassembly after inspection.
    But BBS race rims and Lexan make good end tables after off-road excursions.

8. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

just trade me for my 04 gold bbs ;)