Alex's 2004.5 STi! -- 12/15: S204 Performance Damper Ordered! :p

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And who feels there dash while driving? I'm too busy feeling my knob....ooops I mean shift knob.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

which can also be wrapped in alcantara

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I know....it's in the process of being done now ;)

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

:rofl:

Well its a simple answer for me. I do not like flocking. I do not like its feel or texture, and even though I do not feel it whilst driving I know how it feels in the back of my mind and it will become a constant irritation (I know, I know, dont ask).

I love the way Alcantara looks. Yes, it is overkill to have it everywhere but at the same time its more of a promotional thing for me than something for shits and giggles.

Not sure if that answers your question, but you know how it is...Can you see your front bumper while driving your car? No. Yet you throw a aftermarket bumper on regardless of that fact because deep down you know it looks awesome :bigthumb:

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Understood completely man! And it looks awesome. I just didn't know that flocking looked bad and felt bad. I thought it was essentially the same thing just a different material.

6. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I thought it was 1000's of tiny little fibers...almost like fiberglass :dunno:

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I thought it was micro suede fibers.

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

/runs to google...

9. Alex

Nah, when you think about flocking think about the needles on fake christmas trees.

This image is courtesy of Wikipedia. The black part is "flocked"
    [​IMG]

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I just like the word...flocked!

[​IMG]

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

flock you mother flocker.

i love the ARC underhood components

12. Alex

First update in months :) With the rear struts going out on me, I had to do something. I am not ready to move to the TIC Coils yet, so these came up as a fun alternative to OEM struts (...again).

JDM Type RA 4 Way Adjustable...and they're pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

14. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Wow! Brand new, eh?

15. Alex

Yessir :)

16. Demo24

Demo24 Member

:naughty: Hope they serve you well!

17. Alex

Yes, thanks ross. Posting from the phone so the msgs are a bit terse.

18. Alex

Well I am not entirely sure how this setup will feel as I am still unable to install them. A couple of weeks ago I sprained my wrist on our way out of town to a show and it still is not feeling better. A trip to the doc may be in order. Anyways, the new suspension setup consists of Swift Spec-R springs, the 4 way RA STi struts, pde plates and grp-n rears. Needless to say, I am eager to get it together and on the car! If anyone is interested, the RCE yellows will be for sale whenever I get around to taking them off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Healing permitting, I really want to get out to an auto-x event ASAP.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Why don't you host a install day get2gether and I'm sure some people will come and install them for you for free! Shoot you run this site and make wrxatlanta possible the least they can do is help you install something. I know if I was close I'd do it for you with you watching and criticizing my every move ;)

20. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I think he's planning on it. He asked me about using my lot.

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

For real. Do it at 10th st. so everyone can see where the shop it and what you guys do. And allow a few others to do some installs as well.

22. Alex

We're moving this week actually to our new shop :)

23. calmnothing

Needed a bigger place? Where's it at?

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

x2... closer to me I hope :sx:

25. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I'd love an install day!

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

RULE #1 of install days should be you have to come to meets to get help! :fawk:

27. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I do when I can:wtc:

28. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I am down to help just let me know when and where.....

29. Alex

New place is not close haha...Villa Rica :unamused:

30. calmnothing

31. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

wat.
    I wish I'd known you were moving, there's a killer shop/warehouse available near me.

32. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

ghaaaaaay

33. Alex

You're :pssh:

34. Alex

Updates!

I am toying with the idea of re-doing the color of the car. I have removed the black Alcantara pillars and replaced them with Charcoal Grey. I am just diggin' this color more this year.

On Monday mmtasty, wrxin8or and captain slow were a huge help and installed the new suspension setup (type-ra struts & swift spec r springs) -- this setup feels great. I will be scheduling an alignment soon, along with an appointment at the Emory Sports Clinic for my wrist.

Also threw on the KB endlinks a couple weeks back. Other than some intense knocking noise from them (which I need to address), the front end felt noticeably different.

What's next? Who knows :)

35. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

37. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Holy crap! I didn't know you had these parts waiting to go in for 3 months?! Next time flippin' say something!

38. Alex

I was hoping for free time and for my wrist to heal haha.

39. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Your wrist is still bad after a month? I can help more with the wrist than installing suspension, let me know.

40. Alex

Yeah I do not know, it may be a pinched nerve but I am not sure. I really need to have it looked at but I have been working crazy overtime at the shop to get ready for a show in Denver.

I noticed the problem...two shows ago at Myrtle Beach. It may be a stress related injury from lift seats :rofl: Anyways, are you suggesting I come to you or do you do "shop" calls?

41. Alex

Here is the most recent / first used oil analysis (UOA) from Blackstone. I hope to have this done post-oil change from now on. They are not terribly expensive ($22.50), and really do provide some insight into how the motor is working. This is, of course, after you have developed a trend or history with them and your oil. What turned me on to the idea was a gentlemen who described that he witnesses his motor deteriorating month by month until it ultimately blew on him. I thought to myself, "Hey, this is not a half bad idea, I wonder how my motor is doing at 72,000 miles?" Blackstone Labs, BSL, also offers testing for transmission and diff. I think I will send my rear diff in when I change it out soon. I have added a UOA section to post #2, and will update it accordingly with results.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  42. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I noticed they mentioned the Rotella T, but that you're using German Castrol - are you switching between changes?

43. Alex

Yes, doing an UOA on the Rotella. Just to develop a base trend for both. I used to run GC in the winter and RT in the summer, but on this last change I am burning less oil on the RT. Not really sure what I want to do at this point.

44. Alex

Started this week on the new interior, not sure how far I will get before I take the car to the next event/show for the Solstice/Sky guys (hey, someone has to show up with some power :rofl: ).

The new interior will feature several different things, because frankly I am tired of the stock setup. Despite this, I am having trouble not wanting to put some sort of blue accent back into the car somewhere. Time will tell. The basic gist is I no longer wish for anything I touch to be vinyl, it will be replaced with either Alcantara or leather. Many people ask why I want to keep the stock seats, why not go Recaro or JDM STi. The answer is fairly simple, I daily drive the car and would prefer to keep the airbags. Project outline currently:

Color Scheme
    • Charcoal Grey
    • Dark grey stitching
    • Yellow / Kevlar stitching

Upgrades, Misc.
    • 04 STi Door Cards / Panels -> 05 STi Door Cards
    • Relocate mirror switch, red led conversion for the controls
    • 04 STi Dash -> 05 STI Dash (No difference here)

Details
    • Full Alcantara stitched dash
    • Upgrade to 05+ door cards, Alcantara door uppers and armrest area
    • Front & Rear Seats in Alcantara with some sort of black fabric material for the sides and rear as I do not feel like doing more alcantara or leather on that point. It may be a better wearing fabric as those are high contact / high wear areas.
    • Full Alcantara head liner, diamond or squared, not sure yet

Donor 05 STi Dash (And no it is not wrxin8or's dirty nondonor dash, Matt)
    [​IMG]

Will be updating this as the project continues to develop :)

45. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:rofl:

you never know!

46. Jake

Jake Active Member

i want a donor dash... :(

must post pics of finished product....

47. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I cant wait to see how this comes out. I would really love to do more alcantara bits in the my car also I always thought that the headliners look really cheap

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is gonna be one sick custom interior. Alex simply skimps on nothing!

49. Alex

Haven't posted any updates in a while, then again I haven't really had a chance to write anything.

Over the weekend I had a chance to pull the Godspeed DP (for sale soon) and re-install the Helix Catted DP that I picked up from Rutspeed (thanks again). Spec's on the Helix DP below. I installed the cargo net from the RS into the trunk. This thing is definitely handy. Finally, I got the ARC pulley cover on. Oh, and I had a chance to do the basic routine maintenance for a change. She is about to hit 80,000 miles :(

The wrap on the helix is currently drying. Tomorrow, time providing, I will spray it with their sealant. Hopefully I will be able to reinstall everything Saturday AM and go get the emissions taken care of.

Helix Catted DP
    - 200 cell Metal-Substrate high-flow catalytic converter and thermal barrier heat-shield
    - Cast bellmouth
    - 304SS, robotic tig
    - 76mm mandrel bent
    - Looks nice, almost a shame to have wrapped it :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cargo Net
    Part # F5510FS000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2009