Passed emissions!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, May 20, 2009.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Well, Happy Birthday to me... it was that magical time of year where I have to pay $320+ for my tag :( I was nervous because I've heard from 2 people they were cracking down on the visual test for Cats. Really don't have the $$ to put my stock exhaust back on so I was sweating it... I have one high flow, but its my understanding your not legaly supposed to swap cats unless one dies so... But, yeah.. little to no visual, and the guy was a Subie enthusiast!!! So, if your due, go to Speedy emissions on Roswell Rd and Northridge just by the Chicfilla/Wendys. Time to go get some rest for the night shift tonight :(

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

nice, thats good to know man

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am so glad I live in hall county so I dont have to go through that emissions bullsh*t.

4. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

just next to work. I'll stop by! :)

5. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

6. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

oh, yeah - do you have to get it done in your county of residence? Damn.

7. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

is that true?

8. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I dunno, that's what I was asking!

9. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

if you go open a p.o. box in a county that has no emissions and have at least two pieces of mail with that address ( i think) then you can get emissions in that county

10. gte123v

gte123v Member

nope

11. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

yesssssssssss! Awesome.

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

No, not true.

When I was in college, I was registered in Gwinnett, but went to some shady place downtown (Fulton) for my emissions every year. I think they're all linked to a state database, so you should be fine.

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just an FYI... I was bullshitting with the emissions guy, and he mentioned there were 7 counties that are going to start doing emmisions testing soon.. Not sure if he was talking out of his ass or not...

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It wouldnt surpise me, but it would just annoy me into paying someone $20 to get it done.

My car is stock at the moment, but I know a couple emissions places around that dont look for cats.

15. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

when you say little to no visual...did he look or not?

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Barely... He looked under the hood for a total of 2 seconds (not even looking at the downpipe)... then he "looked" under the car by the passenger door for about a 1/2 second. I'm lowered on yellows so... if he wanted to properly look under the car he would of damn near had to put his face on the ground. So, he looked, but I really don't think he was actually trying to find anything..... He told me he liked the STI right off the bat, so I was chatting him up to keep him distracted :)

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I may have to head over there tomorrow.

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

In other words he 'looked' just to say he did, and then went about the testing...

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ eggs-zachary....

20. MonikAWD

MonikAWD New Member

Yay Florida laws.

<<<<Catless. :D

21. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

older thread back to life.
    i am in alpharetta with some mods (full exhuast, high flow cat, intake) how strict are they and what do they do? is it a visual only or plug or do they run?
    i moved from savannah and they don't have emissions too.
    plus where is a good place to get it done?

oh yea i am 98rs non turbo

22. GregT

GregT Member

I went to the emissions place in the Goodwill parking lot on Peachtree Prkwy and Spaulding, they put the mirror under the car.

23. gte123v

gte123v Member

I haven't done an emissions test for a few years, do they turn the car on when they do the test? If they do, they'll definitely be able to smell it since I'm catless.

24. GregT

GregT Member

i remember this year and last year they started the car during the test.

25. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

You will pass provided that you don't have any check engine lights, and if they do a visual which alot/most do now and you have a cat... You'll pass! It makes no difference if they smell raw fuel. Its just those 2 things...no check lights and a cat...or a fake cat

26. gte123v

gte123v Member

then I hope they'll think the resonator as the cat :sx:.

27. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

That's what I told the guy mine is and he said....that's interesting...ok

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

They (the county government) has been threatening to start testing here in Bartow(where I live) for about 15 years or so. I will believe it when I see it.

29. senfinger

senfinger Member

<-- In Canton- Went to a hole in the wall place near the DMV and they looked under the car briefly for a cat shield I believe. I'm wondering if I should go catless or not for next year- thinking about getting a G200/V3 (Same setup as prior and custom fabricating the stock dp cat shield over the V3.) ohh the decisions and it sucks to have to swap a dp like that-

30. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'd bet he was just looking to say he looked.. I bet he wouldn't have noticed even if you were running straight pipes. I have a high-flow cat, but its near the turbo and you can't see it from underneath.. so, my inspection was just for show as well... I would just rock whatcha got until we're for sure their going Nazi on it.

31. senfinger

senfinger Member

I think your right SonicBoom- Those are some nice numbers on your 06- Makes me re-think the cat... I was thinking v4 with the G200 basically just the catted version of a v3 but still trying to decide- the black bumper and the emissions hassle is kind of making me re-think things...

32. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thanks... JMO, but I don't think catless is worth the hassles you mentioned. Just the stink alone is too much to deal with for the 4 or 5 hp you might gain going catless. I'd bet the average person couldn't notice the difference anyways on the butt dyno. Unless you have huge numbers and just really want to squeek every little pony out... Having one high-flow is the way to go.... again, thats just me.

33. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

yippee i just failed mine. no cats. does anyone know someone in cherokee

34. Matt

It's not county specific to get the emissions tested. I got mine in Fulton and live in Cobb. You just need someone to let you know where to go.

35. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

I just passed with 1 high flow cat in the mid pipe (at least it is visible from underneath). Guy didn't say anything, I didn't offer any info. Isn't that don't ask don't tell policy?

36. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

^^^ Not really, you have a cat. He didn't need to ask. Now, if you don't have a cat and he doesn't ask...

37. senfinger

senfinger Member

Thats sucks... did you fail on the visual? or... What happened? I took my to the place near the gas station right before the DMV off of Univeter...

38. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I failed the first two places i went I have a high flow cat in place. I found some good ol boys off briarcliff who were more convinced with the "taping on the side of the exhaust pipe near the bulge to hear the acoustic difference" method :)

39. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I went to the jiffy-lube next to the new tag office on 92 across from the target. I was told I have no cats on my car by King, and they gave me a pass. They were busy when I went, maybe they were in a rush and didn't look?

40. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

well has anyone tried to go thru emissions with a older engine in the car? i got a 1996 engine and a 1998 rs....any thoughts that i pass or fail? i will have all the emission stuff and obdII compliant except the older engine...

41. Matt

if it's all good then you should pass. No CEL and you're fine.

42. 98skuby

98skuby New Member

you know your the first to give me a complete straight answer and an answer period.

43. trouble06

trouble06 Member

That is time for me to go!
    Anyone knows one in Marietta that will not look for a cat?

44. Unidub

Unidub Member

Yeah my buddies dad owns one off roswell rd over next to the 120 loop and its next to the BP.. They also sell cars there on a small lot. Weatherby Lot..

45. trouble06

trouble06 Member

I know where it is!
    Thanks.

46. atlxkevinx

atlxkevinx Member

I'm located in Gwinnett County. Anyone know places that don't check cats? Do I have to get emission tested in Gwinnett?

47. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

you can get it tested anywhere

48. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

Failed this morning due to visual. They refused to proceed on the test after that. No mirror was used. He just popped the hood and used a flash light on the down pipe.

49. techlord

techlord Active Member

high flow cat FTMFW