I think my engine is done.!.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Trancetto, May 28, 2009.

1. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well i drove the car turned it off, everything seemed okey. When i was heading back home, i turned the car on, and engine light kept flashing, revs went up, car shaking, and knocking from under the hood.

The knocking is coming from the drivers side near the battery.....

Knocking is like tic tack tick tack tick tack.

Any help.

02 wrx 123k stock

2. HKSTuner

HKSTuner New Member

time for a new motor carlos

3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

lol, i hope not.

4. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

eewww.. try smoke-b-gone lol j/k. go 2.5 and dont look back

5. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

yeah i dont have 5k to just throw away.

6. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

We are going to need more info sir...

7. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

That sucks, man. I'm sorry. :( Try a used stock setup till you can afford the upgrade?

8. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

I know its a long shot, but take off your intercooler (if its still tmic) and look at the small space that you can see your flywheel exposed. Could be something rattling on that...?

9. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

yeah i understand your frustration completely. ive been there. the good thing is that you have a great community behind you

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

The thing is, i drove my car all day, ran perfect. Parked it, later i turn it on and all hell brakes loose

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

What more do u need?

12. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

How loud is it? AK-47 loud or popcorn popping loud?

Oil life left? Kind of oil in it?

Details please.

13. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Good thing you never changed your screen name.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

is the knocking RPM dependant?

15. flat4ever666

flat4ever666 Member

the name is kinda funny now! j/k! sorry it hear this.

16. HKSTuner

HKSTuner New Member

dam carlos you fuked up man. Take of your timing belt cover see if its the belt if not I have a motor for you for a good price lmk

17. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I have a 2.5 hybrid I can sell you for 2500 plus your motor.

18. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

told you he'd have one!

19. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

whats a 2.5 hybrid? i never learned the hybrid part. But yeah, im gona take the kia to work today, and later ill pop the hood and check around.

And the tick tack sound is like popcorn sound. And rpms would be steady and it would still make the sound.

Also, what all do you need to do a comple 2.5 swap? just the motor, or motor + 1000 other things?

20. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

what motor do you have, miles, more info.

I can afford no problem, but throwing out 5k+ for a motor i was not expecting for, sucks.

I couldnt resist looking under the hood just before i leave for work. I looked at the spot that it was making noise, and right on the side of the block, there is this i would call it sensor looking thing, with a gold screw going through it, well its just hanging off. It seems to be like that part got unscrewed and fell off. Ill look more into it when i get back from work, im already 30 minutes late. :(

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  21. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

if you need any assistance with your car please let me know. I will work with you on project.

Take care!

22. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that sounds like the Cam Position Sensor...it NEEDS to be in the motor for it to run properly...put it back in!

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Umm that sounds like you spark plug coil pack. It probably came out, miss fired, and fucked your shit up.

A 2.5 hybrid is a 2.5 sti shortblock with wrx heads. Same set up I have. If its a longblock you should be able to just drop it in, plug everything up and go.

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

oooh yeah, or that. I wasn't thinking that low.

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I only drove the car for like 1/4 of a mile after. Im about to go and fix it up, and see how it goes. update coming soon.

26. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

if you want a 2.0 short block let me know... i know of one with low miles for super super cheap

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Back with some good news. After removing my battery, i saw the problem clearly. I took some pics. I dont know what the part is called, looks like some sort of sensor. Well i screwed it back in. Turned on on my car with prayer to god that "tick tack" anoying, worrying sound would go away. I turned the key, and booom that shit was not there, no tick tack noise. I was like WOOT! happy. So problem solved, some pics of what im talking about will be posted...good thing i saw this in time, and fixed it before all hell broke loose.

Thanks for all the help, and offers for a new motor even before i tried looking for one. Someone stated i have great community behind me, and you was right.

PICS:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mersad!

28. Jake

Jake Active Member

I don't see any pics

29. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

You are one lucky sob. Now go buy something new for her. Or better yet, dyno her on Sarurday...?

I see pics.

30. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Do u guys see the pics now?

31. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

yes sir, yes i am. Good thing i only drove for like 1/4 of a mile like that. I will buy something new for her, but nothing to stress the motor. She is at 123k and running. If i had to replace the motor, and had a 2.5 in there, gt35r kit here i come. Which is my plan in the future. college+bills+trying to support my hobby=major fail!

Just came with an idea. might take her for a tune :)

32. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Haha yea, that's not a sensor. Its the coil pack which ignites the spark plug. I bet is was misfiring like an sob. Did you get the check engine light checked/removed.

33. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

yes sir. No CE, revs are where they supposed to be, car sounds good. I guess i got lucky on this one. :eek:hnoes:

34. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I see pics and that is your coil pack that came out. How in the hell did your coil pack come all the way out? When was the last time you changed plugs?

35. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

No idea how it came out. I did try teaching my younger cousen to drive a stick earlier that day, and he made my car jump like 3 times till i kicked him out of the car. I dont think that had anything to do with it falling out that far.

i screwed it back in as much as possible, I will be checking on it monthly. I had no idea that was the coil pack, it doesnt look nothing like a honda coilpack. lol i feel stupid for not knowing.

36. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Subaru's have independent coilpacks for each spark plug whereas a Honda has the Distributor Cap and spark plug wires. No spark plug wires on the Suboo.

37. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, RX8's will sound the same if the plug wires come loose. They are hard to put on so its a common thing for them to pop off.

You might want to thread lock the bolt that hold the packs in and check all of them to make sure they are snug.

38. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

yeap, which is why i was little confused about it. :squint: