Any US soccer fans out there?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kokopelli, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Anyone else watch the US - Egypt game today?

2. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

huge fan but i completly missed the game... win or loose?

3. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

win 3-0
    they needed to win by 3 and italy to brazil by 3 to advance to the semi's.

now they get to go against spain.

too bad they still look horrid, i can't wait for beasley and donovan to retire. ts like they reverted to '94 all over again

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I try to get into it.. toooo slowww.... It takes em' 3 minutes to dribble all the way down the field, then someone from the opposing team boots it all the way to the other end.. repeat. I think I would like indoor soccer better, more action. Especially when I was overseas, I noticed how much the US is the only country that doesn't love it.

5. undrgrndrdr15

i have not been terribly impressed with the teams play... seams like something is just not right lately.... anyone else have any thoughts on this?

as for too slow, thats how i view baseball and football... really have to be a fan of soccer and understand the game to really watch it and get into it...

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Thats what I've been told. I have a friend who puts it on when he comes over since I have a sports package. I told him I might be able to get into it if I had a team to root for... I asked if Detroit had a team.. He says that American soccer sucks, the players aren't near as good as the European leagues... I would root for the US if they were on, but other than that do you guys just pick a team and stick with them?

7. A lot of people have a favorite player that they watch, and they'll follow him from team to team. But it's like any other sport, you have to understand it and really get into it to be able to watch it on TV and enjoy it. And it helps to have friends that are really into it to sit and watch and yell at the TV with you.

As much as I wish I could sit and fully enjoy watching the US team play, it's difficult because they're just not exciting to watch compared to many of the other team. If they were boring and good, or at least boring and consistent, things might be different... they are clearly not the team they were in years past.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The US is currently ranked 14th in the world and has steadily been moving up. I hardly consider that to be bad. I would argue that this team is better than the teams in the past. Quite a few of our national team players play for European leagues so the level of play is getting better.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

The team was a little off in the first two games of this tournament due to questionable red cards. Considering they were down a man against Italy (#3 ranked) and Brazil (#4 ranked) I think they faired ok. They also do not have a couple of key starters for the tournament so the line up has been in flux. This has also been an issue in the last two World Cup qualifying games.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Missed the game, but watched the Costa Rica game which sucked and most of the Italy game and was not much better. Once again the U.S. squad leaves a lot to be desired. Passing sucked the first game and after the first 15 minutes it seemed they just gave up. The Italy match they showed up for but were overwhelmed by the mediocre playing on the Italian side. I think the Italians knew they could take it easy and play a slow methodical game against us.

10. undrgrndrdr15

wihtout a doubt the class of u.s. players is improving but we are still far behind most european players i believe... when i played for the silverbacks pdp team they brought over several european players that were our age and it was a night and day difference, their first touch and speed off the ball is amazing... i will watch any european teams play over mls anyday... the speed control and understanding is just amazing

11. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

12. MaxPsi

MaxPsi New Member

Wirelessly posted

Can I get a hell yeah?

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Just finished watching the game and can't belive how it went. There certainly was a whole lot of :eek:hnoes: in the second half but amazingly the US held on.

I still don't get that red card. It was a good tackle and even a bad call would have just been a yellow. A big :fawk: to the refs. Four games and three bad red card calls. I don't think they like the US very much.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Oh well. At least the first half was exciting.

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Didn't follow, I'm assuming we lost?

16. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

got blitzed in the 2nd half.

gave up the match winning goal in the 84? minute i think

lost 3-2

17. undrgrndrdr15

yes but really that was a decent showing for the u.s..... considering the odds since they have beat brazil once out of like 15 times.... they played well... and really tim howard had a good game... two of brazils goals were pretty lucky

18. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

They choked today. They got owned the entire 2nd half by brazil.

19. undrgrndrdr15

look at 2 of brazils goals though... one was the turn and shot at 20 yds out... went through the legs of the defender... tim howard had nothing he could do on that one and it was bad luck it went through the defenders legs... as for the second header that came off the cross bar and then headed back... as a defender that is almost impossible to defend... they did not get owed the second half brazil simply stepped up and played like they are capable of

20. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

how many shots did the USA have the entire second half? Hardly any at all b/c Brazil was controlling the ball and the entire pace of the game.

I am not talking about the goals, but the crosses that sent up a few of the goals could have been prevented with some better defense. Seemed like they were double marking kaka.

21. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

couldn't agree more. and it really should have been 4-2. that one goal that Howard blocked inside the goal it ricocheted off the top goal post and then down into play defiantly Brazil's goal.

22. undrgrndrdr15

true... just goes to show that no matter how good the u.s. looks the rest of the world only has to step up there game and its a night and day difference...

23. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

If Bradley was in I think they would have controlled the midfield and held the ball better. Without a midfield Brazil was left with way too much possession.