Anyone hiring?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calmnothing, Jun 26, 2009.

1. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

As many of you know, I've been in the restaurant industry for many many many years. Great place to work and the money is awesome. But as I go on and start grad school soon, I need jobs that would be applicable on my resume. I need work experience. I feel that any sort of clerical/assistant/entry level job would be more beneficial to me in the long run than a serving job. What do you think?

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Definitely get someting entry level you are going to school for. That's the biggest problem I am having post-graduation. Everywhere I apply to requires years of workplace experience which I have little to none since I've done mostly freelance gigs.

Good Luck.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

Hahahahhaahahahaha. I just spent the last year looking for similar jobs and the last 6 months specifically looking for a pharmacy tech job. I just moved home last weekend because I couldn't find anything or anything paying more than I was making at the restaurant anyways. I read an article about a month ago that said graduates straight out of college take an average of 6-8 months to find a job nowadays. So expect at least that with a degree. I have numerous friends going on almost a year with degrees, and I was making more than them at the restaurant (only averaged about 12 an hour there). I am just trying to emphasize how bad the market sucks right now. Just don't give up. In hindsight I probly couldn't have spent more time looking than I did, but I know I put more into it than my roomate. Good luck to you brother!

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

And elaborating on the point sparta was making, it is a lot easier for someone like me to get a job with 6plus years of experience than someone my age straight out of college with no experience. But that's in retail, and I'm trying to get out of it.

5. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

it's all about networking...college academia doesn't compare to college connections. work with people, join clubs, especially alumni based clubs, and get your name out there

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

+1 on that. Its who you know. Not what you know.

7. calmnothing

Yeah that always seems to be the case. Only people I know are in the restaurant industry. Looks I start off at square one.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hi my name is Alex.

9. calmnothing

Hi my name is Wes.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

^this

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Hi my name is Chris, and I'm an alco.. oh sorry, wrong forum :)

12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

What area is your degree in, that might help.

13. calmnothing

Hmmm that would help, huh? lol

Mechanical Engineering

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

check out lockheed they are hiring like mad but as I told Drew you have to be on lockheed jobs daily searching.
    lockheedjobs.com create a profile and it will even email you when stuff comes up. The site is not the best but I know for a fact they are hiring as every one comes across my desk at some point. Not as many mech. engineers BUT 5 this month almost 40 this year.

whoever said it is who you know not what you know. yes and no you have to have skillz or they will see right through you. but who you know is BIG probably how I got my start.

15. donpage

donpage Member

We are hiring! Just go see your friendly local Air Force recruiter and he will give you a job in a heart beat!

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ I think that 4 year, non-negotiable contract is a big pill to swallow...

17. donpage

donpage Member

4 years is over before you know it, hell, I left for basic 13 years ago today, seems like it was last week.

18. calmnothing

Yeah a bit more than I was trying to get into lol

19. donpage

donpage Member

Well, what is it you are wanting to do?

20. calmnothing

Really I am just looking for a job that I can put down as work experience in my field or a pertinent area. I can't put down 12 years of restaurant experience when going into an engineering interview.

21. donpage

donpage Member

Well go be a jet engine mechanic for four years. They can't argue with that.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Yeah, while I'm sure that didn't hurt me after I got out(F-16 crew chief btw), I don't think it helps too much if the field your going into doesn't relate... but yes, having 4 yrs of service def. looks good on the resume...