HELP - my car (Explorer) needs transmission

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by snakecharmer, Jul 15, 2009.

1. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Member

Looks like it may be time for an automatic transmission rebuild in our '98 Explorer with 180K miles. My wife shifted into reverse..I think while she was still slightly moving forward. She heard a loud popping noise and when she tried to go in reverse...nothing happened.

Any chance this could be a minor problem or is the transmission shot. Any ideas on a cheap reputable place to take it near Marietta/Kennesaw? I assume the cheapest option would be to get a transmission from pull-a-part and just swap it but I don't have the tools/skill/time to do that. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Note, I've been unemployed since Jan and just started a new job last week paying about 1/2 of what my old job paid so the cheapest solution is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

The only way I would put a junkyard trans in is if it came from LKQ or Weaver. You'll know it works before the install. Have someone who could do a rebuild on this side of town at a fair price

3. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Member

Thanks. I've pretty much ruled out the junkyard route now. I got the name of a local shop 5 min from my house that I'm going to check out. If someone would by my road bike, I could probably pay for most of the tranny work.

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Also, PM Andy at Saergant Performance. I know he does a lot of rebuilds of trannys...He is in Kennesaw Off of the Wade Green Road exit maybe?

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

Need work on my trans as well and didn't think of recomending Andy, would rather see you pay him for the repair as he does good work. Good luck with it

6. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

He is on my list of next & pressing mods (tranny). I have, heard nothing but good things about him and I know he was a Mustang guy as well so I am assuming he knows Fords.

7. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Member

Thanks guys. I PM'd Andy about the tranny.

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Sorry to hear about this David.

Good luck with it. Andy does good work and is close to you there.