International Relations or Nonprofit Jobs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GTscoob, Jul 22, 2009.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'm just throwing a feeler out here to the community, but I'm looking for a job around Atlanta with a non-profit agency. The overall focus of the agency is not a high priority but I'd prefer something focused on environmental or human rights activism.

I've got a degree in International Affairs from Ga Tech but have a good bit of mechanical engineering experience and know my way around a computer. I'd been looking for positions around the country but since I just signed a lease to stay in Atlanta for another year I need to broaden my search for job types while limiting them to the metro Atlanta area.

If you have any good contacts that lead me to a job I'll give you half of my first paycheck.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

but its non-profit... how will you get a paycheck? lol

my roomate's g/f has a degree in international studies from Georgia Southern and she works at Lockheed Credit Union. she did (may still) work for the Swedish American Council (she is half-swedish/speaks it fluently) and basically did a non-paid internship right after her graduation. She got some good connections from that, but i dont think anything has materialized yet. She also minored in French and speaks Swedish, French and English fluently. Not sure if you have any language minors, but i know that helps tremendously in International majors. I think Georgia Southern REQUIRED their International Major students to take a foreign language.

anyways, just suggesting to check into "internships" as a possible foot in the door, while you have a job.

3. GTscoob

I was pretty fluent in German but I havent used it in years. I can communicate reasonably in Spanish but would not consider myself fluent by any means.

Thanks for the insight, Jake, I'm about to just start volunteering around this town to make some better connections, not quite the same as an unpaid internship but unpaid nonetheless.

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Check CDC for positions as well. They do a lot of international work....You might also want to look at the UN. I believe they have an office downtown.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Can also try the Carter Center.

6. GTscoob

Carter is almost impossible to get a paid or unpaid job at, I tried to get an internship there a few years ago.

CDC is a good idea, I'll hit up my cousin to see if she still has any contacts over there.

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

brett's sister in law works at the CDC. hit him up

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

truf

9. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

10. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Some of my clients are involved with nonprofits. Next time I see them I'l ask for ya.