Big problem. Look!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Trancetto, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Freaking rain today. I was driving and i went over a big pile of water. I have CAI on there, and the car just shuts off. I pull over some how and try to start again and nope. all i hear is the crank but engine starting.

I took CAI off and there was water in it. I checked turbo inlet and it was full of water. I checked where TMIC meets the manifold, and there was water. Is my engine done? I dried off what i could and still nothing.

I will try again tommorow.

Let me know what you got to say on this.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hmmmmm hydrolock? You went over a pile of water or you drive into a pond of water?

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If you have water in the throttlebody you must have submersed the filter completely under water. If so that motor is TOAST. Dump the oil and see if you see milkyness. Or pull the oil dipstick and see if you see milkyness.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

i mean just a little splash would definitely shut off the car due to the MAF getting wet. but water that far up you must have been DEEEEPPP. that or just deep enough for WAAAAY too long

5. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

the water was deep, and i was going slow over it. ill go check the oil stick.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah no bueno. i'm betting its TOASTY!
    [​IMG]

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

oil looks better than ever.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I hope its not toast but pulling in water is never good. I have seen a few hydrolocked engines and none of them would even crank over. If yours will crank there is at least a little hope.

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I mean, it sounds like its about to turn on, but than it doesnt turn over.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

thats could just be the starter. if there is water in the combustion chambers trying to crank the engine is NOT A GOOD THING. my dad had a small head gasket leak on his old F150 and when it finally let go, three of the rods bent trying to push against the water in the combustion chamber when he tried to start it.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Dry the intake and ic then pull the plugs and fuel pump relay and crank it for a while to push the water out.

Change the oil, put the plugs back in and hope for the best.

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I dried the intake. I tried pulling the ic off but i was having problem unscrewing the bolt thats holding the y pipe(than it started raining again). Im not talking about the 4 bolts holding the IC. Are you talking about spark plugs? And not sure how to pull the pump relay.

13. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yes, pull out the spark plugs. That will eject any water that may be remaining in the system.

14. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

The brown wiring harness below the glove box right next to the door. This contains the fuel pump power etc... unplugging this is like turning the pump off.

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

or pulling the controller loose in the trunk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well i read all comments and went outside to start the work. and weather was against me again, as soon as i popped the hood, it started raining. No garage FTL!

17. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

guess what...it's BROKEN!

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

haha, once again my name stands to its reputation.

19. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If you need a new motor Ive got a stock 2.0 here

20. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

slowwrx i will probably get it if i dont fix.

UPDATE:

I just took out my spark plugs. RIght side spark plugs of the motor were wet in water and had like gas smell to it.

Left side sparkplugs same thing, but when i took them out, water came out. maybe a half a cup from each spark plug.

I checked oil, oil looked perfect. So no oil and water mixing.

I cranked my car with spark plugs out: and i saw water just squirt out. I did this about 4 times.

I am waiting for further directions from one of the users on here, and one of my friends.

21. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

chances are if there was water in the cylinder then it bent a rod

22. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

yeah. thats a lot of water considering the volume of the wrx head is only 53cc. Certainly there was more than that and since water doesn't compress something else has to give.

23. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

the car sounded like its about to turn on without the plugs. Maybe if everything was to dry off and with new plugs and little spark, might turn on?

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

no its just trying to crank. its gonna do that without the spark plugs. all thats happening is the starter is spinning the flywheel and crank. Im willing to bet that you have a bent rod like matt said.....

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well i just got a call from my friend. He said to crank it up few more time to get all the water out. Than leave it over night, and put the sparkplugs back in. Start the car up, see how the car is working. If its not wroking right, then one of few or more of few pistons/rods/ might went out like matt just stated.

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn man, one thing after another, CAI FTL, GL

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Amen brother, amen. If my wrx survives this, than idk what will kill it. :unamused:

28. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I got code p1507. What do i need to do to fix it?

29. Jake

Jake Active Member

i could see getting that code from water in the engine. thats an Idle System Control Malfunction. i could see your car not idling correctly because it has water in it, lol

30. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well no shit. :rofl:

Car is idling good now, water stoped coming from the exhaust. Oil is perfect. Its idling at like 700. The motor just sounds more aggresive than normal. I got new code PFFFE

31. DiRtYHyEnA

DiRtYHyEnA New Member

wow that sucks.

32. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Good freaking news. I cleaned up my maf and the car is running freaking strong.

Thanks for all help.

33. Jake

Jake Active Member

good to hear. hope thats all it was. keep an eye on it

34. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Steps i took:

Took the plugs out.
    Cranked the motor like 10 times.
    Left it over night.
    Put the plugs back in.
    Turned the motor on.
    Oil mixed with water.
    Oil was milky.
    I took out the oil.
    Put new cheap oil in and new filter.
    Ran the car.
    Than did another oil change.
    Milk went away.
    Cleaned up MAF.
    And car is running good.

Thanks to Lil C,Lil E, and Big I for all the help.

35. longfury

longfury Active Member

You are lucky you did not bend a rod. I hope everything goes fine. I hope a rod is not tweaked and only slightly bent. That could lead to a broken rod and a hole in a block one day in the future.

36. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I think i was lucky cus as soon as i got water in, i only tried to turn it back on twice. I am one lucky SOB once again. The car was throwing out water through the exhaust at first and white smoke. But i guess after it threw out the little water that was left, it got better. Than i made a short ram intake from my CAI, cleaned the MAF, changed oil 2 times. And boom, worked like a new car. My plan is to go to godfather and get another oil change, because we put too much oil, thinking the car was fucked, and we used the cheapest oil there was.

Just like u said, i hope i dont have problem in future.

:bowdown: :bowdown: SUBARU!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  37. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

CAI Bypass valve?

38. Jake

Jake Active Member

??:nuts:

39. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Don't be surprised if you find out a rod is tweaked or one of the piston rings are bad. I'd pay very close attention to it for the next few weeks.

41. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yeah i had one when i had my CAI, they work well.

42. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I will never mess around with CAI ever again.

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

Oh ok now I know what you're talking about. CAI are actually better for tuning. Short rams suck in hot air from heat soaked engine bays. Just don't drive through rivers and streams anymore.

44. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Yeah they are, but i dont see why have it on DD. I rather be safe than have that extra little power.

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Eh you would be surprised at how much power you lose with hot ram intake.

Do the CAI properly and you have no issues. Or use the stock airbox. If you have no FMIC you can't beat the stock airbox unless you push more than 400 hp.