Oil type for high mileage?

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by izzy_the_impressa, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SOOOoo, just got my hands on a blue 03 bugeyed wrx wagon. Upon checking the oil I noticed it needed some TLC so I put a quart of high mileage 10W-30. It's got 153k. No Sh*t, 03 with 153k. It drives so well so I can't complain but my question is... should I be putting the high mileage oil in or the 10W-50?

And I'm almost positive that the previous owner never changed the sparks or any wires. Would you recommend me change them... if so... what kind of replacements?

Cheers

Todd

2. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

I believe the dealership has a pretty massive replacement tune up at either 140k or 160k. Pretty expensive as well, if everything hasnt been replaced most likely the items you listed will. Not to sure about the oil but i'd contact the seller to see what he uses and what he's replaced

3. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

i would do full tune up just to be safe.

4. My 04 has 100300 on it.. the water pump, timing belt and engine seals were replaced by the dealer before I left the lot which was nice. I think they did the full 100K service on it but I don't remember what else was included in it.. a little piece of mind. I don't know if using high mileage oil is necessary or not... I'd like to know too.. I will definitely be staying proactive to make sure everything keeps up.. especially once we start modding.. hopefully soon!!

5. Well the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, tensioner and some other parts were replaced at 100k. So im gonna wait on replacing that for a little while longer. As far as spark plugs... I've researched the DIY and it seems it'll be time consuming and difficult. Not sure what kind to get either. A buddy of mine sayed to go to Napa and get a certain plug...idk

any thoughts? Do I need to replace coilpacks?

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My 04 (which was bought new in 2005) has 158,000 miles on it ;)

7. I think we need to start a 100,000 mile club.

8. Changing the plugs isnt all that difficult its just a pain in the ass. As far as the actually plugs...I went with NGk one step colder. And if youre going to replace the coil packs I got a good deal on them here
    http://www.fredbeansparts.com. I have an '02 with 150k on it and I have used full synthetic 10W-30 since I bought it at 90k and have never had a problem.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Plugs are fairly straightforward. They can be a pain if you have not done it before.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

you dont need one step colder plugs until you reach ~300hp, IIRC maybe scott or doug will chime in. but they arent necessary

11. So, since I have no need... just yet to have 300hp out of it. I will be going OEM sparks. So then what sort of spark plugs? Platinum? Prob going to Napa to get the set.

Thanks for all the help.