XBOX Help..........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Aug 29, 2009.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok guys, your local AV retard is back.. I just made the switch from PS3 to Xbox, and I'm having some trouble with the set-up. The trouble I'm running into is with my receiver I believe, in the fact the my HDMI ports are "pass-thru" instead of true HDMI.

I had my PS3 hooked up like this, PS3->HDMI->RECEIVER, RECEIVER->HDMI->TV, PS3->DIGITAL OPTICAL->RECEIVER........ When I got the Xbox, I noticed it does not have a digital optical port on the unit itself, so I just used XBOX->HDMI->RECEIVER, RECEIVER->HDMI->TV. This worked, but the sound came thru the tv only. I figured out that the digital optical port is on the AV cable itself (which I shouldn't need since I'm using HDMI). So, I figured I could just plug in the AV cable and the HDMI and use the optical port and be good... Well, the HDMI cable will not go in with the AV cable installed, the AV cable covers the HDMI port.

So... ok, I guess I'm being forced to used RGB cables instead of HDMI looking like this. XBOX->RGB->TV, TV->HDMI->RECEIVER... XBOX->DIGITAL OPTICAL->RECEIVER..... But, I'm still not sure if this is going to get stereo sound. I believe most of you are using HDMI only, which I can not do because my ONKYO receivers HDMI ports are "pass-thru" and not true HDMI ports. This needs to be figured out, the sound on my tv sucks and I need stereo for movies/games...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

It might help if you post the model of Onkyo receiver, how old is it and are you 100% sure it's pass-through only?

I was wondering if it's possible that the receiver was "still?" set up to source audio from your optical connection.

Also avsforums.com has been a big help for me in the past.

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Receiver is less than a year old, and I'm 100% sure its "pass-thru" only.. I remember, because I was stumped as to what exactly that was... As far as your idea about the receiver still being set for dig. optical, its possible, but I really think my issue is with the pass-thru. Otherwise, I wouldn't have needed dig. optical in the 1st place with my PS3...

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

So your xbox has the hd component out or the hdmi out? You should experience very little loss running these into the receiver and having the receiver run HDMI into the TV (for 720p). HDMI obviously carries the sound within its cabling, whereas the components have a plug for each individual "task". There are certain HD comp sets that include optical out. This is what I am using as my Xbox is mucho old and did not ship with the HDMI out.

I would consider unplugging everything, resetting all settings on TV, Receiver and Xbox to defaults and trying again.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

The XBOX has both outputs, but you can only use one or the other(the AV cable blocks the HDMI port when installed).... The way I'm gonna have to hook it up will be screwy, because the RGB cables will go to the tv, and the dig. opt for sound will still be going to the receiver like it did with my PS3... It may work and be fine, I cant test it out till I get home in the morning... I just really don't understand why MS didn't put the dig. opt. port on the Xbox itself (not on the stupid AV cable), or at least make it so you can have both hooked up if necessary...

6. gte123v

gte123v Member

you can buy a optical and hdmi adapter for like $60 or just modify the AV cable (I did this) so you can get the hdmi to plug into the port.

[​IMG]

7. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

xbox sucks w/ HDMI - I have the same issue and I'm running a nice Denon receiver. The only way I got around it was running HDMI from the xbox -> tv, then running the optical out on the tv -> receiver so my surround sound would work. There's something w/ the HDMI 1.3 (I think) that doesn't like it passing through receivers. I've seen some work, some not - seems like it's luck of the draw.

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

your PS3 knew you were trading it in for an xbox, so it fucked shit up before you unplugged it.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I would pay for selling out and going for the dark side.....

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Hmmm... not sure if I have an optical out on my tv.. but that would fix the problem...

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok.. crises over. I used went XBOX->COMPONENT->TV, XBOX->DIG.OPT.->RECEIVER and we're good to go... Something tells me, even though HDMI is better than component, I'd never be able to tell the difference... Thanks for the help guys!

12. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

Ya the 1080p component looks fine on mine. The stupid little 50 dollar extender which unblocks the HDMI port seems useless in that regard.

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yeah, looks good to me..... But now after selling my soul and going Xbox, I have to buy a Bluray player. Someone told me they were down around $100 these days.... Someone was wrong.... Looking like $180ish for the low end, gonna have to wait.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

Blueray all day for around $100...check walmart.

Can't you change the settings in the xbox so that you change the HDMI to bitstream or something like that and your receiver is happy? Tons of people have the XBOX connected to their receiver via HDMI. I'll see if I can find the settings online....

15. Trey

Trey Active Member

Still looking but you can cut the plastic cover off the HDMI cable, the part that plugs into the xbox and revel the optical port.

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Alex

Nice trick, once again, only have comp out on mine :(

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Nice mod(I think you meant the AV cable cover)... looks like it would work ok. I'm gonna leave it the way I hooked it up though thru component cables. The picture might not be as good as HDMI, but I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  18. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just went to walmart online, but the cheapest was like $140, and it looked like a piece of shit. I want to make sure it can receive new firmware etc... It's looking like right around $170 for a decent lower end model. As far as the receiver issue, its due to my HDMI ports being "pass-thru" and not true HDMI. So, Xbox settings don't really matter. Using HDMI only, I'll have no sound. A few people earlier in this thread reported the same issue(one with a way higher quality receiver than mine)....

19. Alex

AFAIK, It is a common problem with many of the newer receivers.

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Alex, do you know if they are all due to the pass-thru HDMI issue I have? People keep telling me HDMI is picture and sound.. but I looked, and remembered I needed HDMI + Dig. Opt. to hook my DVR/Cable box to my TV to get sound as well... I'm confused (as usual).

21. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Just save up and buy another PS3 for $299 and use that as your blu-ray!

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ My transformation to the dark side is complete... I can not go back... lol.. Not a bad idea though. I'm trying to keep the costs low, I don't want to go higher that $170 or so for a bluray player...

23. Trey

Trey Active Member

HDMI is picture and sound in one cable, no need for Opt. You will need to make sure your source device is setup to add the audio on the HDMI cable. RTFM. :p

Pretty much any HDMI receiver will accept the audio as long as the source unit is sending it/ setup correctly.

Also, I have a Samsung BD-P 1500 Blu-Ray player that I will sell for $150. I got it last Christmas. I recently upgraded to the Oppo BD83 (also plays SCAD/ DVD-Audio) so I need to get rid of the Sammy. It's in perfect shape, has the box and manual too.

A Review:
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/06/04/samsung-bd-p1500-review/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  24. Jake

Jake Active Member

this is your best option, should net a slightly better picture (not having to go thru a receiver first and less length of cable) and unfortunately shittier sound

what a lot of people also dont realize is RGB will do 1080p. you just lose the digital sound, unless you have an optical out (which in this case you dont). the human eye can NOT distinguish the difference between 1080p digital and 1080p analog (if someone says they can, then its because of the quality of their cables, tv, equipment or how they have the cables run NOT THEIR EYES). so dont be afraid to use the RGB cables. the only REAL advantage RIGHT NOW with HDMI is the 1 cable for video/audio v. 5 with RGB/sound

25. Trey

Trey Active Member

The XBOX 360 is only HDMI 1.2

Link