Quick Question: Nikon DSLR Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

So my dad has had an older early 90's model Nikon camera with every lens available since it was brand new. It really is a great camera, however obviously since its become harder and harder to find someone to develop film and the fact that he is finally getting (me to) his website up and running for his construction business it just makes plain since to upgrade. Anyways, 2 questions im hoping someone can answer for me

A) will his lenses from his old Nikon fit a new Nikon DSLR?

B)what nikon DSLR you recommend for someone who has moderate-advanced photoshooting skills (not a pro, but just under that)??

thanks in advance guys!

-Jake

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the D90 seems to be a popular camera. Not sure if anything will fit though

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

got the lens question answered. feel free to throw around recommendations. he won't do anything other than nikon tho, he loves that old thing

EDIT: and if anyone knows of any used Nikons for sale lmk

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

You will need to use a higher end Nikon like the 300, entry level models like the 40 and 60 will only manual focus non motor drive lenses. The 300 is a phenomenal camera though!

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah not sure where his budget is. but i assume its gonna be SUPER LOW. so, we shall see.

all i know is the little digicam they have now is NOT cutting it. and my mom really needs to keep that at her store anyways to update her site. my dad however will have to deal with different weather, lighting conditions on different jobsites, so a DSLR is a little more practical. plus he knows enough about zooms, and lenses and lighting to take some good pics.

8. DaveH

DaveH Member

I just bought a D60 from Adorama for around $350. They had (yet another) special recently on Nikon-refurbished cameras. For a non-pro, the D60 is all you could want. Sure, you could step up to the D80 or D90, but I don't see the cost/benefit.

Any F-mount lens can be used. I expect that is what your Dad has. They may be manual focus only when used with the D60, unless they are AF-I or AF-S.

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

thanks!

10. Shewb

Shewb Member

I have a D60 also and love it. The D80 (body only) was as much as the D60+lens & case.

11. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Thats kind of the critical part...

Basically, if you buy a D60/D40 and your lens was built for film, you will loose quite a bit of functionality...

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

D70 is the bang for the buck, d40 and the like are a bit of a worthless investment IMO. If the budget is there go for the 90 or the 300.

Lenses are compatible, the issue occurs with where the auto-focus motor is located: body versus in-lens.

13. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

We just got the D5000 in at Target, seems like a pretty bauller camera. Does carry a $800+ price tag though.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

The D90 is auto-focus and can use the DX VR motor drive lenses too.

I just nabbed a used D90 with 18-105 DX VR Nikkor lens for $800. w00t!