:thumbsdow Dekalb Co. Pooolice.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RSConvert, Oct 6, 2009.

1. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

:fawk: For pulling me over and giving me a ticket for tint. Poooliceman had a "tint checker" gadget. It read 17%...I've been rolling through the same streets 5 days a week for the pass six years and they decide to pull me over today? I guess budget cuts in Dekalb Co. are forcing pooolice to write tickets. Mr. Pooolice said every Dekalb Pooolice car now is stocked with the "tint checkers". Well :fawk: for making my day.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

those things have been around forever. i got pulled over in 2005 by GSP with a tint checker.

where you been? lol

my 20% read 18% on it.

just take off your tint, show the judge or court person and they should drop it.

then you can get it retinted

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

:rofl: at POOOlice

I thought you still had to pay the court fee (minimal) even if they threw it out, though it sounds like now-a-days with the communist police dept around Atlanta they may still make you pay the fine. I have nothing against the police, but seriously - have you guys ever seen this many bullshit tickets handed out lately?

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

i didn't have to. it was in Jackson, GA south of ATL tho. maybe its different there/or its changed since 2005

5. RSConvert

So I spent all day trying to call the court office to find out what the fine was. It was busy all day and I never got through, not suprised. My boss told me he got a ticket yesterday for rolling through the stop sign on the same road. I guess Dekalb :)fawk:) found thier "money pit" street.

The best rate I found to retint my front windows, to make it legal, was
    $80.00. Maybe I'm better off just paying the fine, drive my other DD to work and keep my tint.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

take off your tint.....have you lost your mind. Pay the ticket its like 70 dollars. I tint my windows dark as hell, I just assume that I'm going to get pulled over once a year and have to pay a 70 dollar ticket. Hell my brothers windshield is even tinted on the vette.

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've had 20% sides and back since 2004 and have yet to get a ticket (knock on wood). My dad however has the same on his Z and has gotten ticketed for it twice within the last year. He also has 35% on the front but they don't say anything about that.

He just pays the fine, goes about his business, and loses more and more respect for the traffic cops every time.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Isnt the rule on the side windows 35%? and 15% on the rear or something like that?

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

well i forgot to mention i had a steal of a deal on getting it retinted. lol, but i neer got back down to statesboro to get it done.

10. What street was it? Dunwoody police are getting pretty bad too I hear..

11. RSConvert

Shallowford Rd. off 85.

12. RSConvert

anything under 32% for the front is illegal and rears doesnt matter.

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

WRONG, its 32% all the way around and NOTHING on the windshield larger than 6 inches PERIOD. unless you have a medical reason

i know someone who had darker tint on the rear windows than the front, and guess what the cop made them roll down the rear and they they got zinged for the rears and not the front (which was legal)

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  14. Deke

Deke Active Member

Any clue why this is the case, but almost all SUVs come stock with very dark rear windows? And I mean, panel vans don't even have rear windows. Seems like some arbitrary GA bullshit to me.

15. RSConvert

OK...than the cop gave me the wrong info than. He told me my backs were ok (20%) and it did not matter but my front (side windows) couldn't be less than 32. Damn pooliceman.

Cause most Suvs and vans have darker than 32% on the side and rear windows, right so thats kind of a f'ed up law.

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Stock is Okay.

17. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Sorry, I just feel like I have to say they can be forgiving, they let me go a couple months ago for doing 80 in a 55, but I always get lucky for some reason.

18. Deke

Deke Active Member

Ok.........any clue why it's a problem to replicate something that comes stock on SUVs/Vans? Or maybe why SUVs and Vans have stock tinted rears and not cars? Or maybe just in general what the harm of having a tinted rear window is?

19. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

This has been discussed several times. SUVs and Vans qualify as dual purpose vehicles and as a result also qualify for "privacy" tint for the rear windows as they may be carrying "cargo". I do not agree with the law but that is how I understand the most recent revision of it. It is such an easy ticket to avoid, and it kills me when people complain about getting tickets for it. The last couple officers I spoke to cited several reasons for not having dark tint, the most important is safety (visibility within the vehicle). Sucks but you pay the price for tinting below 32%. This is a given when you pay the nice man to put 5% on your windows :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  20. RSConvert

:rofl: so I leave work to go to lunch in my DD Outback and pass through the same intersection I get snagged in my bugeye. "Hello!" there is three black and silvers (Dekalb Pooolice) and three uniforms standing at the corner of Plaster and Johnson Rd. One poopoo throws his hands up and signals me to not move. He approaches my car with guess what a "tint checker" gadget in hand :sx:. So, I roll down my window and he says just checking to see if your tint is legal:eek:hnoes:....38%:clap: "Have a nice day!"

Wow with the crime in that area...tint is what they are concentrating on.
    :fawk:

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, suv's and vans can be considered cargo vehicles. also vans/suvs and TRUCKS can have the back glass completely blocked out (hence all the rednecks with camo/rebel flag/etc appliques covering the back glass.

i think suv's are the exception to the exception. they SHOULD NOT be included. now our construction/work van has $1000's of tools in the back, so i can see where that is necessary.

also, next time you get pulled over for tint ask the officer why its ok for his windows to be illegal and not yours ;) see how well that goes over

but yeah i understand it is for their safety so they can see all the occupants of the vehicle when they approach (make sure no one has guns/etc)

this issue was a BIG DEAL a few years ago, as this law varies from state to state and out of state travelers were getting ticketed on the interstate for their tint which was completely legal in their states.

-in case you don't know this is a breach of Article IV Section I of the US constitution which states "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof." basically means each state has to obey/respect other states laws. so if you get married in GA you are married in VA, HI, AK, etc.

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Please don't try this. He meant it as a joke. Be a smartass like that and expect to have the book thrown at you.

This is why, when I get pulled over, I roll down all the windows so the cop has a clear view into my car. The only time I wouldn't roll all the windows down is if it is raining, or extremely cold, and if in those situations, roll down both windows on the side of the car the cop is approaching.

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah that is always a safe bet. as well as ALWAYS telling him when/if you have a gun in the car

24. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Maybe it's just my personality, but I would've had to make some smartass comment...something along the lines of, you already gave me a tint ticket for my other vehicle, are you guys that hard up on money?

The thing that makes me mad about this situation is what everybody else has been reiterating - that CAN'T be the best way to spend tax payer's dollars.

25. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Last time I was pulled over it was pouring outside. I rolled down my driver's side window to talk to the officer and then requested to roll it back up. He seemed to appreciate my thoughtfulness but gave me the ticket nevertheless :unamused:

26. Deke

Deke Active Member

Ok, this is what I had heard before and what I was ultimately trying to get at. Once again though, this is a dual standard bullshit rule. I could be driving a cargo van with 6 ak-47 toting Taliban members in the back. Heaven forbid he can't see into the back of my car which two grown adults are lucky to fit in.

I understand that it's the law, and I understand that I have to pay the consequences if I'm caught, but the reasoning just always seemed retarded to me.

And yes, rest at ease, the one time I've been pulled over (for a headlight being out), I rolled the windows down, and I intend to any other time it may occur. I want to do everything I can to make a cop know that I respect them and their safety.

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah your point is completely valid about the taliban in the back.

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

not to mention it's none of their fucking business what's in my vehicle or home. if they want to look, get a warrant. the safety line is complete crap and everyone knows it. however, if something is in plain sight this does not apply. but the notions for probable cause and the misuse and applications of warrants have been getting more lax it seems as time goes by (get on that ACLU)

if an officer wants me to do something reasonable for him to feel safe, I don't mind complying but I'm not going to bend over backwards for them, especially nowadays when I'm just going to get a ticket anyway. 99% of the time I don't speak to them or answer their questions, for a good reason. as soon as he goes back to his car he writes down everything you said and yes this will be used as evidence in court. if you admit guilt to the officer, you just lost in court so don't bother showing up.

29. So much anger...

30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

me? not at all. I just like to protect myself legally

31. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

had to take mine off, my 5% read 6% on the cops tint tool every time, 3 times being pulled over in 1 month, i just took it off...here in barrow county the cop said the tint law just started back up a couple months ago, after going almost 2 yrs with no tint law.....i just see it as another way for the city to make a buck.....

32. Deke

Deke Active Member

Way to take my example literally...

I'm saying if a cop is worried about his safety, you could just as easy (in fact much much easier) conceal a threat to him in the back of an SUV/Van than a small sedan/coupe. And yet an SUV/Van can get away with dark tint or no windows at all. My point is COMPLETELY valid.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Since when does law and logic actually co exist?

34. RSConvert

That should make cars that have had tint put on two-three years ago exempt. But yea seems like Dekalb County is making a pretty penny this week from the intersection I got my ticket, cause they impound three cars within 45 minutes of me going back to work today.

35. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

ticket is not cheap either....mine was $135