What is Kia thinking?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bug-Rex, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

2. ballistic

ballistic Member

looks like the next victim of a ricer

3. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

car looks decent. I would never buy a Kia tho.

Nice try Kia

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

A Civic inspired Kia?

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Honestly I think its a smart move considering how many Scion TCs, Mini Coopers, and Civic coupes are being sold these days. Why shouldnt they make a 2 door car?

The wheels are hideous and the wierd bump under the side mirrors disturbs me but other than that the car looks pretty sharp.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Seems nice enough to take a small chunk from the civic-cobalt-corrolla market.... and it comes with built in diffusers for maximum downforce ;)

7. Its a ricer anyway you look at it. Yeah, its a good economy car, afordable, comfortable daily driver. I am not a KIA fan, nor will I ever purchase one. Who knows it could be a descent car. For example, who would of thought Hyundai would make a good sports car? Genesis turned out ok...

It does resemble the TC

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

looks exactly like a civic in the front, TC on the sides/rear

9. xerxesXXVII

xerxesXXVII Member

This seems to be a pattern with the economy foreign brands. I remember when the genesis sedan came out one of the car mags (Automobile, IIRC) actually lined it up next to all the cars that "inspired" -read "stole from"- the design of it. It seems that kia saw the success that hyundai gained from such blatant immitation, and applied it to their new entry into the compact vehicle market.

just my .02

10. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Front reminds me of the new Ford Focus RS.

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

so what it has similarities.
    i read above at least there are few opinions of what it resembles so
    it really does not look exactly like something like some believe.

competition is good
    that means the design has merit when so many look a like

all i see is 4 wheels and has similaritites of a car with some features i like.
    im more interested in how it performs for that price range and how it holds up.

12. I agree with the imitation thing. I have really noticed it with Hyundai and with this new Kia I think they are heading for the same route. Honestly, I just don't think they have it in them to come up with an original design. I think this Kia should sell well but I would never buy a Kia or a Hyundai. Artists are always going to be inspired by something that already exists (most of the time) but to me Kia and Hyundai are like the generic prescriptions or Equate brands of the car world. :wiggle:

13. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i'd buy that before i bought a Cobalt OR a Saturn, based on looks alone. it looks like a lot of small cars, it's small. can no other car have a hood scoop without us thinking they stole it from subaru? companies make tons of products that look like other products, like the watch industry, they all look like a Rolex but they ain't. it should be flattering.
    [side note]
    they were shooting a Kia TV ad at the corner of 14th and p'tree on thursday morning. the W hotel right there had every color they make of the small SUV thing.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

That was one of the first Kia's to come off the West Point GA assembly line by the way.

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you tell me....stolen from Subaru, or no?

this is the 'factory' exhaust for this model as well..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  16. b reel

b reel Active Member

Hey Matt do they have that in a wagon? or Hatchback since FACE is reading this

17. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:rofl:

nope, no hatch/wagon version in the modified RS.

I did find this though

[​IMG]

19. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

"The car was penned in Kia's California studio, under Frankfurt-based design chief Peter Schreyer. The ex-Audi designer's influence shows, especially in the rear-deck view, which has a bit of the new A4/A5 rear-end crease. Its overall shape is a wedgier, more modern take on the Civic coupe. In the sheetmetal, this is a very handsome car."

That explains it.............. But damn a 2.4 liter 6sp combo for under 19k(est). That will cause some healthy competition.
    Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ia_forte_koup_review/specs.html#ixzz0Vo6gXHPf