Nasty Little Holiday Scam

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRXCoupe, Nov 23, 2009.

1. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I didn't think much of this e-mail until I read it through. I thought "just one of another hundred scam alerts". After reading this I realized that there are times I will just pocket a receipt without checking it. It's actually a good "heads up".

It happened at Wal-Mart (Supercenter Store #1279, 10411 N Freeway 45, Houston , TX 77037) a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, and I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cashback of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back and to delete it.

She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. The supervisor came and said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover and I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it, then they would have to delete the whole order.

So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order and re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed, and a cashback of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier, and she deleted it. The total came out right.

The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me and at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co-worker went to a Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt, and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her.

My co-worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK! My co-worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money.

She then called her niece who works for the bank, and her niece told her that this is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards! This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents. This scam can be done anywhere, at any store, so watch out!

2. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Wow... Good heads up. Thanks for the info.
    What people would do for a little bit of money at the expense of others... Typical.

3. One time when I was not using my debit card frequently I got a call from the bank that asked if I had taken all of the money out of my account in three separate ATM withdrawals. I said "hell no!!." Then they asked if I had my debit card with me, which I did. I even got it out and said "I have it in my hand". She asked me if my pin number was written on it and I said "NO. I'm not stupid" and she said that whoever took the money out of my account used my exact pin number. She asked me if I had used my debit card recently and actually I had.... AT A WALMART.... She said they are getting pretty clever and that the electronic machine must have been rigged to capture my card info AND my pin. Thankfully the bank gave me all of my money back. They had ATM footage of the person using my card but I never heard anymore about it.

Definitely a good idea to choose "credit" instead of "debit" on the machines AND as stated above... check your receipts!

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Thanks for the heads up!

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks.

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Honestly, I've noticed the exact opposite happening at my work. Customers get the correct change, walk away and then come back demanding that you shorted them $10-20, most of the time we just give it to them but there's one guy who has tried it on multiple cashiers so he gets turned away now.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

This has been going on for years. I think a cashier at walmart actually got arrested for close to 10grand doing this.

8. Yeah,happened to me a couple years back,took until the next day to get straightened out.I was angry.Walmart has very poor customer service.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm so broke usually, I know +/- a few dollars what the total is supposed to be.. so if they did add a $20 I would think I would catch it... but good heads up though.

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Are you sure you can even get cash back on a credit card transaction?

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

You can do cash advances..

12. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member