Dragon Age? Anyone played this yet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mike@TTR, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Just curious if anyone has played this and what their impressions of it are.

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah, it's a pretty good rpg. no multiplayer though. I'd pirate it, especially with what they did with the DLC/addons

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Nope. Tell me why I should try it? :)

4. Decker@Forged

Decker@Forged Member

Actually, I picked this game up for PC and it's pretty cool. I don't play too many games at all b/c 1.) I don't have time and 2.) I get bored easily.

This game has peaked my interest to the point that I make time to play a little every day or so.

try it out.

5. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

From what I've been told, it's like Oblivion. An FPS RPG.
    Oblivion was a pretty fair game, so Dragon Age should be pretty good if you like those kinds of games.

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's not a FPS

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Er. First person RPG.
    Forgot that FPS is first person shooter... Rofl.
    I say FPS as in to say first person.

8. Decker@Forged

Decker@Forged Member

it's actually 3rd person that zooms out to overhead view :)

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Picked it up a couple days ago...if you like story RPG's it is pretty cool. Decent plot so far, decent action. Graphics are good. No complaints. If you are just looking for a hack and slash game this is not it. Lots of talking with folks, quests, couple puzzles, riddles, and of course there is fighting as well.

10. Alex

11. TouringBubble

TouringBubble New Member

I might have to pick this up for PC. My wife has been looking for a new game since we stopped playing WoW a while back. I know it's not an MMO, but it might interest her.

12. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

FFXIV is coming out for the pc and ps3. It's a linked MMO and if its anywhere near as good as the last one (FFXI) it will be incredible.

13. TouringBubble

TouringBubble New Member

I got tired of FFXI quick. Once you reach level 20 or so you can't solo ANYTHING, so you ended up sitting in town hoping someone in your linkshell had a group so you could play the game. then, you hit 30 finally and start going after the optional classes, and go through it all again.

But, this was when it first came out. It may have gotten better.

14. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Fable III is coming out in a year!

15. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Check out Atlantica online....free MMORPG and it is pretty darn good. Deborah and I play it.

16. TouringBubble

TouringBubble New Member

Will do. Thanks.

I played Dragon Age: Origins a little last night. I like it so far ... kind of a cross between RPG and RTS. It seems like a good solution to sort of building an MMO-styled game to play solo.

I like the dialogue sections, but they can be long winded at times. I understand the fact that your choices there can shape your character, but perhaps fewer choices would have been beneficial in some instances.

I'm still working on the gameplay mechanics as I've not played anything like this before. It's taking some time to get used to the way you have to play to be successful.

17. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Picked it up for Thanksgiving weekend. I like it. It has problems though. There's way too much *pause micromanage unpause* going on, and some of the skills are WAY more powerful than others. Results in the game being too easy if you get the 'right' skills, and too hard if you don't. Still, it's fun. I'd pick it up if you like fantasy games. Very much like Neverwinter Nights, only now you're controlling 4 toons instead of 1.

FWIW, there are multiple editions out there. Some come with all the DLC pre-purchased, while others are just the plain game.

-Chris!

18. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I got all the codes, but have not been able to use any of the items. The armor, yeah forget that till you go up in level...not sure about the golem, have not gone looking for him yet. I played a mage and have enjoyed it so far. What character class did you choose ptc?

19. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Technically I have one of each (warrior, rogue, mage), but after I played them all past their starting zones, I stopped playing the warrior. Been playing the mage the most as he seems to be the easiest of the three. Team is Tank, Rogue, Mage, Mage, and other than the boss->talk->ambush fights, I've yet to have a problem. The force field tree is overpowered IMO, especially with multiple casters. Not that I'm complaining. Compared to WoW where it would have been nerfed in the first week, I kinda like having a game to abuse. :D

Speaking of, there's a bug in the PC version where you can refund all your stat points. Having a 1 strength & running around in your underwear obliterating mobs is also quite amusing. More so at the cutscenes. "Yup, don't mind me, just running around in my underwear covered in blood."

-Chris!

20. TouringBubble

TouringBubble New Member

I've played it a little more, and the "pause and micromanage" takes some getting used to for me. I'm playing a rogue and I'm not specialized in one tree, which is probably to my detriment. I'm finding many encounters very difficult since I'm not pausing every 5 seconds and trying to play in real time a bit. This requires a well set up tactics plan for each character, and they just don't have enough tactics slots yet. I might start over and plan my skills a little better this time.

I'm really looking forward to playing a mage, but I'd like to get a little further with my rogue first.

21. Alex

Why on earth would you stop playing WoW? :)

22. TouringBubble

TouringBubble New Member

It consumed our lives.

23. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I thought the kiddies on there got old. That is the reason I quit Wow. That and you get to a point where you can't do any quests unless you have a monster group and 4 hours to burn.