Bad JuJu Toyota!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

2. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Would no one think to put it in neutral and let the motor blow up rather than try to continue driving?

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i really dont think is a 'mat' problem its something with the ECU imho

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

or turn the key to off.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

My girlfriend just got the floor mat recall in the mail for her Camry... I havent checked out yet to see if it actually looks dangerous yet.. Maybe I better get on that.

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Lexus's have a pushbutton start in which you have to hold the button down to stop it..

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I heard about this prior to this tragedy. Toyota was haggling with many owners who stated that their cars did this without the "pedal entrapment," caused by the floor mat. Sounds like throttle linkage, or cruise control and or ECU badness. I would be cranking that e-brake and exploding that tranny. Sad story though!

Definite marketing opportunity for the competition.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah the guy was a retired air force, and california highway patrol man. i wonder if he really was trying to take it out of gear or anything or if he just freaked

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Probably freaked! Happened to another guy who had the same vehicle as a loaner a couple of days before that family got it. He was able to put it into neutral and slow it down.

10. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

It would be quite a stir all of a sudden accelerating like that for no reason, but its not like the brakes don't work...? That would at least slow you down so you can think about taking it out of gear.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Turn the key off and the steering wheel will most likely lock.

I have a similar kind of problem with my WRX. My floor mat slides under the brake pedal, so when I push the brake in fully, sometimes it catches on the floor mat and won't depress.

I got a newer hook for the floor mat at SoG a few weeks ago, and it is holding the floor mat better, but it still twists a little bit and gets stuck on the edge of the brake pedal.

I think I am about to remove my floor mat again and just drive without it. I already wore a hole in the carpet where my heel rests when I am driving. Guess I will make that hole bigger now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Get all weather mats..

13. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-throttle29-2009nov29,0,5254584.story?track=rss

I am not buying the floor mat story. It may be true in some of the unexplained accelerations, but a lot of the ones reportedly still do it with no floor mats. Toyota has been all drive by wire since 02. The recall they are doing not only trims the acceleration pedal but changes the software so the engine will idle if the brake and accelerator are pushed down at the same time.

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

that's my next step, i also have the hook on the mat but the other side with a hole doesn't latch onto anything so it slides even more with one corner pinched.

15. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Thats pretty interesting actually.

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I hate my all weather mats because of this, there is nothing keeping it attached to the floor so they slide forward really bad and get taggled in the pedals. I took a knife and modded my driver's side one so that I could atleast put the lil peg thing in the mat to keep it from sliding forward.

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The subaru ones i have lots of plastic pegs that keep them from sliding..

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That is what mine are, the carpet in my STi doesnt have enough depth to keep them from moving.

19. This situation reminds me of the time when Audi went through almost the same thing.
    I am sad/sorry whenever any one dies in a car crash..
    After having driven hundreds if not thousands of cars over the years,I have yet to find one that the engine can overpower the brakes.I do not mean one that will break the tires loose,I used to power brake My mustang at the drag strip.I mean one that move forward with the brakes fully depressed.
    As far as what caused the acceleration,that can be verified through the on board computer.You just go back and read the throttle position sensor reading and determine if the gas pedal was pushed down or not.This would confirm or deny what was 'causing' the unintended acceleration.
    I am fairly certain that not all Toyotas since 02 are drive by wire.Esp. if you count Scion as part of them.I will do some research and get back on this point.
    Also,I have it on a very reliable source that as of now there is not a decided upon repair/fix.Again I will confirm this and get back to you.

20. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

just one more reason that drive-by-wire systems are bullshit.
    Sad to see Toyota giving so many people the runaround on this. :(