Subaru Bucks at Classic

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by heathbar, Dec 9, 2009.

1. heathbar

heathbar Member

I don't know if this is really a dealer review per se...

A couple months ago I got some service done at Classic Subaru on my Saab 92x (aka Saabaru) and I used 200 subaru bucks that I got from my Subaru credit card. I've used some of these bucks before, about 2 years ago at SoG.

Well, the service rep at Classic calls me up last week to say that Subaru has denied the subaru bucks because my car is a Saab! BS! So, I check the fine print for my credit card and NOWHERE does it say service has to be performed ON A Subaru! I tried to tell Classic this, but they say it isn't their fault Subaru won't accept them.

So, what's my next move? I suppose I can pay the $200 and take the subaru bucks back to use later (I WAS thinking about buying a 2010 Outback). But, is it really MY PROBLEM??? Classic is telling me to take it up with Subaru. Should I even bother, or will they give me the run-around?!?! Do y'all know someone I can call/email at Subaru?

Cheers.

2. I would call the customer service number on your Subaru credit card and see what they say about using the bucks for work on your Saabaru.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

umm pay it, take the bucks back and go to SoK from now on. Let King tell Subaru whats up!

4. heathbar

heathbar Member

Is SoK better than SoG or Classic? As a midtown guy, they're all in BFE as far as I'm concerned (+/- 20 miles).

5. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I've never had a problem using my Subaru bucks at SOK. I used one for an oil change, and since they can't give you a credit for the difference, I got a T-shirt, a hat, and a front WRX plate. Sounds like total crap to me. BUT, SOG told me I couldn't use the Subaru bucks on purchasing a used car, so I don't know.

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well, you bought a hat, right? Thats not really a service on a Subaru..

7. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yeah, well that is specifically written, only "brand new" cars, on the subaru bucks (at least mine).

But it doesn't say anything about service being done only on a Subaru vehicle!

[​IMG]

8. heathbar

heathbar Member

Maybe that's considered a subaru "part". ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

You could always sell your subaru bucks to someone else but that may be a thrash to go with them to the dealership and they might not like that it's not your car being serviced. PITA though. Best of luck!

10. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Call SOK tell them what happened and go there from now on if they approve them!

11. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Call Subaru Customer Service directly...they are very helpful and have great customer service 1(800) 782-2783.

12. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

This sounds like trying to cash in your airline miles you get from using your credit card!!

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i would fight it if you verified before you got stuff done that they would work..

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Think about it this way, would a Subaru dealer be obligated to perform warranty work on a 9-2x?

Answer: No

The Subaru Bucks are funded by SOA, just like a warranty payment to the dealer.

SOA didn't received the profit from selling the car to a Subaru Dealer. GM / SAAB did received a profit when they sold it to a SAAB dealer, hence SOA has no obligation here.

It is a technicality that Fuji Heavy Industries made and sold the car to GM/SAAB for resale but SOA did NOT.

15. heathbar

heathbar Member

I don't agree with your warranty analogy at all. I received the Subaru Bucks as a result of spending money on my credit card. Those "bucks" are supposed to be as good as cash at any Subaru dealership for a new car, or car parts, or car service. Essentially I'm paying for their labor. It shouldn't matter what type of car the service is being performed on, in the same way that I could purchase a subaru sway bar with my Subaru Bucks then install it on my Saab without SoA's "permission".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Or buy a hat.

17. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Parts are different than labor. What if you brought a Lincoln to a Subaru dealer and asked SOA to pay the dealer for the labor?

Take my word as an industry insider, no manufacturer would honor the request you presented.

18. heathbar

heathbar Member

Actually, I've used them at SoG before for a protuning (courtesy of SS) and an oil change. That's labor. :dunno

I don't understand your arguement. I'm not asking SoA to PAY FOR ANYTHING! This is not a warranty or a free service of any kind. I have already "paid" for the Subaru Bucks, I recieved them en lieu of cash back. I'm simply asking them to accept what is essentially a GIFT CERTIFICATE.

If you don't like my sway bar analogy... it is similar to me having a Starbucks credit card and getting a gift card as a reward for spending money. Then I go to Starbucks and they tell me I can only use the gift card on biscotti or cookies. Who are they to tell me how to use MY gift certificate! I want COFFEE!!! ;)

19. heathbar

heathbar Member

Sorry, your credentials don't change my perception of logic.

20. heathbar

heathbar Member

haha I would except that they subaru bucks can only be used in $100 increments. :pssh:

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

40 hats.

22. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

But seriously, sell them to someone for 180 bucks...

23. heathbar

heathbar Member

:rofl: !!

As far as selling them, it specifically says not for resale. I wouldn't want the buyer to be SOL. In fact, NASIOC will close any threads trying to sell them.

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

While that is true, you can go to SOG with someone and pay for something for them.

25. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind, although I'm still entertaining the idea of using them towards a new subaru... Fiance likes the Outback. :coolugh:

26. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I remember the good ol day's when Scott worked at SOG he would let you use bucks in small increments :)

27. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

oh well, it sounds like you are the "customer is always right no matter what" type of person.

The $100 Subaru bucks come with a stipulation that they must be used on Subaru specific service, parts of labor.

To use your "logic" why doesn't Caribu coffee take Starbucks gift cards????

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

It says good for any part, or labor at Subaru dealership..

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ That.. I just don't see how it matters what type of car your getting worked on. The profits/subaru bucks still go to the dealership so who cares? It just doesn't make sense... you can use subaru bucks to buy whiteline sways from the parts department... A majority of the cash goes to whiteline, not subaru. Whats the difference?

30. heathbar

heathbar Member

Wrong. That's the equivalent of me trying to use my Subaru Bucks at a Hummer dealership! :slap:

31. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

technically you aren't allowed to buy non-Subaru parts. Now, if a dealer is willing to accept them is another story.

NSVWRX, if you can show me where it says that then I'll apologize.

32. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

SubaruBucks are redeemable toward the purchase or lease of any new Subaru vehicle in addition to the purchase of Subaru service and parts at any of the Subaru authorized dealers, and are earned by making purchases with the Subaru MasterCard from Chase (the “Card”).

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Terms_Conditions.html

Subaru Service and Parts means just that, Subaru pars and Service on a Subaru. Sorry boys, if I was wrong I would have never posted in here.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  33. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Subaru did service his vehicle.

34. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

and it was a Saab not a Subaru

35. heathbar

heathbar Member

The problem is the ambiguous wording of the terms and conditions.

- The majority (including myself) believe that "Subaru Service" = service performed by a Subaru mechanic.

- gotsol (and the suits at SoA) believe that "Subaru Service" = service performed on a Subaru.

The fact remains that I was deceptively lead to believe that Subaru bucks are as good as cash at a Subaru dealership, which they are obviously not.

BTW, saying "if I was wrong I would have never posted in here" is pretty ironic. If you really mean that, you are the first person in the history of the internet.

36. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

No your reading comprehension problem is the real issue not ambiguous wording. Let's not claim deception was at play here.

One dealer looked the other way to fraud and one didn't. Don't be mad at Classic for doing the correct thing. Now, they may have lost a customer for the sake of a few hundred dollars but that is their business.

Your attitude that you are entitled to something you don't deserve is a symptom of a greater problem and your reluctance to admit fault (for not understanding the terms of the program) isn't helping your delusion.

Its been a real pleasure discussion this topic with you gentlemen. Frankly I could care less what happened to you or Classic I just wanted to shed some truth and correct perspective on the mater.

Let me join the band wagon and post a more fitting response to the original post:

Dude! WTF was classic thinking, yo? they should have hooked you up with the shit man. Fuck Classic.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  37. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Sorry, i was under the impression you were allowed to do anything with it.. I went and bought tinting for another car of mine with my bucks.

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree with gotsol.....it's a Subaru perks program.....not a Saab perks program. The dealership obviously didn't understand that. They are out of money which pretty much is the same as writing a bounced check.

I can't blame the dealership in this day and age here....

39. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I think you're being incredibly harsh here.

I, like some others in this thread, would see "Subaru service" as service from Subaru, not service on a Subaru. Subaru is the brand of the service, and isn't specified as the brand of the vehicle. To this effect, I'd consider paying for a cup of coffee at a Subaru dealership a "Subaru service," whether they grew the beans themselves on whatever green factory they have or if they went to Costco and bought a billion pounds of Folgers. A Subaru employee still brewed it and still served it to me.

If it's a Saab/Subaru argument, then the same could be said for Honda dealerships performing services on my old Acura. Same manufacturer, different name. Where the Acura Integra is made by Honda Motor Co., a 9-2x is still made by Fuji Heavy Industries, just like every other Subaru in the world.

I don't care whether Classic took the bucks or not, and hold no stake in the outcome of this, but I still think what I think, and I feel like I have damn good reasons behind it.

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

To take this and think this applies to anything other than a Subaru (Subaru dealership for "Subaru" parts/service) just does not make sense and is a twist on wording.

41. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

perhaps I am being harsh but the attitude of entitlement pisses me off.

The Saab/Subaru argument isn't quite the same as the Acura / Honda or even Audi / VW. However I can tell you Audi and VW are VERY separate entitles as is Acura and Honda from a customer facing enterprise.

Sorry but Subaru Service seems pretty clear to me that it means service on a Subaru and I feel like I have damn good reasons behind it too

42. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Do you see Honda badging and names on the Acura? Yep all over it. Now do you see SUBARU on the Saab? Nope. On FHI and this is a Subaru rewards program not a FHI rewards program.

43. blaster

This might just be my ignorance, but did Saab actually make anything that's part of a 9-2x, or is it truly a rebadged Subaru? I figure the DNA is the same on the car, making it a Subaru at its core.

44. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

It is a WRX with pretty sheet metal and a few other tweaks (STI steering rack)

But don't mistake it as SOA had any part of this bastard. It is all between Fuji and GM

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ditto. Subaru can't control what happens on the upper level at the manufacturer.

46. blaster

Fair enough, but I think they're really splitting hairs.

I think if a customer is educated enough to know that a 92-x is a joint venture between FHI and GM, and is really just a rebranded WRX, they should suck it up and let whoever use their Subaru Bucks. It's not like they're losing anything anyway, as I'm sure they have an agreement with the card company that pays them back for all of this.

Companies that function in this way run a very strong risk of pissing off customers and affecting their reputation long-term.

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Actually Subaru either accepts the payment or not according to the first post. He said the dealership accepted the Subaru bucks but Subaru denied them :dunno:

48. blaster

Sounds to me like the dealership took them, and now it's their problem. The OP paid for the services rendered, and, not to be harsh, but Classic can get bent.

49. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

and back to my original point

50. blaster

Got it. Thanks. So you said this originally, then restated it for me since I was late coming into the debate, but I don't need it a third time.