Why wasn't I hitting target boost? Uppipe weld fail

Discussion in 'General Community' started by MrCoffeeATL, Dec 14, 2009.

1. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

So during my motor swap, it was discovered why I had a history of hitting target boost one run and falling horribly short on the next.

Here is the Helix uppipe that was in the car since 04:
    [​IMG]

All looks normal until you give it a little tug...
    [​IMG]

I was amazed that with this, I was still able to hit the 15psi mark (sometimes). I guess I should do a review of the pipe and give it good marks up till the 5 year point :unamused:

2. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

that sucks bro, i'd ask helix for a new one on the asap!!

3. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I already bought a new one and I have no idea who I originally bought the Helix part through. I think it's one of those smile and move on moments unfortunately.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Hhaahhaahahahaha you stupid n00b.

When's the retune happening?

5. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

lol n00b? How does one easily tell that the uppipe weld has failed with out the big hassle of pulling it out?

Tune should happen as soon as i can get an appointment and am sure we found the source of the coolant leak. The PEAK coolant didn't show up so well with a blacklight so I may add a few drops of UV dye if it becomes an issue.

6. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

What up pipe did you buy this time?

7. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Yeah, youre still a n00b:keke:

8. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I went with the GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Up Pipe (GRM 003002). It didn't have an EGT bung like the Helix but it did have a flex joint and got rave reviews for the welds and overall long term use. I pinged a few people on iwsti.com who had it and got good feedback. One guy had used his for years in an 04 STi that got rallied on gravel so I figured this one should hold up a little better, especially since I won't be snow rallying my car for the foreseeable future.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I bet there are quite a few people running around with fubar'd uppipes. Because the way they are held in place and their location it really can be hard to see if the weld has broken. This is the second one I have seen in person but have heard of many others.

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Wait a minute? Why are you putting a new motor in your Legacy? Did you break something?

11. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

hopefully oem sti uppipe is stronger than aftermarket (cross my fingers)

12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

understatement of the year :rofl:

13. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

My engine was drinking a quart of oil every 20 or 30 miles and my intake was coated in oil. Cylinder 4 had crap all over the heads and even more burned on goodness on the piston itself. It looks like the rings went south and the compression and leak down test pointed towards that before the engine was pulled. It was, as they say, le dead.

14. shiftynick

shiftynick Member

same thing happened to my helix.

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Could you not hear it rattling ?

16. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

cast iron, I believe?

alex, it's kind of wedged in there between the exhaust manifold and weight of the turbo/down pipe. there probably wasn't much movement, hence his ability to make 15# sometimes

17. integroid

Wow, that sucks...sorry to hear. So what are you putting in there?

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Wow that really sucks to hear about the uppipe and the engine!

19. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I got the 2.6 built shortblock out of Doug's 08 time attack car Lucy. It's overkill for what I'm currently throwing at it but it means I'll have less to worry about when I get the bug again and upgrade my turbo (again) :wiggle:

20. integroid

DAMN! that is awesome!

21. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

same thing happened to an old MRT uppipe I had.