Heads up for Speeders!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eco Auto Clean, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

"Speeding Crackdown On Atlanta Interstates Begins
    Posted: 9:42 am EDT June 25, 2009

ATLANTA -- It's time to slow down on the interstates throughout the Atlanta area.
    Law enforcement agencies were set Thursday to crack down on speeders, part of a campaign by the governor's office of highway safety.
    The crackdowns were planned on I-85, I-75, I-20 and I-285 -- all heavily traveled interstates around Atlanta.
    Also on Thursday, DeKalb County began a monthlong focus on the "Move Over" law, requiring drivers to change lanes or slow down below the speed limit when approaching a stationary emergency vehicle with lights flashing on the side of the road."

Here is Link

2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

looks like 400 will be a racetrack.

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

On northside Pwky heading south from Mt Paron this am they were lasering it. its a 45mph and most days im doing 55+ and Im am being passed like Im sitting still.

4. FACE

FACE Active Member

Hasn't it always been :)

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I plan on hitting 120 mph on my ride home from work in an hour. :naughty:

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I20, through Douglas County, was crazy two weeks ago. There were no less than 20 patrol cars on either side of the highway.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i saw no less then 6 cops on 85n to 285e/s. be careful folks. Our counties need money and catching speeders is an easy way to raise some cash quick.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Even though 400 isnt included in that list I am going to guess that forsyth might do a copy cat action...

9. Alex

Good thing I am cruising low profile in the mini this week :ddirty:

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I have been crusing in my stupid loaner kia for 10 weeks now while my STi is in the shop.

11. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

when did u get a mini

12. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Nothing said for the mountains. WOO HOO!!!

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

no money in the mountains.

and its state PD patrolling mostly.

14. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I had a Porche Boxer fly by me doing about 90 in a 55 on 75N the other day. The cop was chillin' behind the bridge for 285. The Porche passed me about a mile after where the cop was, but I guess he was speeding there too, because the cop came a blazin' and pulled over the Porche.
    It's funny because I usually do about 63 in a 55 from midtown to windy hill when the limit changes, and I have to drive in the far right lane because EVERYBODY is flying past me. I'm more paranoid with the new crackdown, do you think I'll be rearended if I do 60?

15. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

X2. And if I get stuck in traffic I'm gonna rev at every Motherfucker.

16. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

lame crap. We need to build an underground no speed limit freeway and not allow any car that can't do 100 easily.

Someone go become godly rich and make it happen.

17. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

lol...how about we just make that the HOV lane?

I saw two cops at Jimmy carter exit last night and then a DUI checkpoint at boggs road getting onto 316. This was about 3am or so.

18. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Not to mention Superspeeder kicks in on July 1st...

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Full on police state now... got me paranoid. Cant go anywhere without seeing 10 of them, ready to pounce. This is getting way past rediculous.

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

100% agreed, they are everywhere, what's going on? Big budget cut?

21. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not sure.. It has allready been like this in Sandy Springs for the last 2 years or so, now its everywhere. I've allways been good about not drinking and driving, but would drive if I only had 1 or 2... not anymore, not risking anything. I guess the cab companys are going to start getting some new business.

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i thought it got shot down...

23. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

I went up to Rockmart and back on Saturday from NE ATL. I didnt see even one.

But I dont ever exceed the speed limit either! :keke:

24. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Your lucky.. I saw 3 on my 12 minute commute to work just now....

25. BelvnAWD

Nope, just got pushed back from its original implementation date. Goes into effect Wednesday...

26. BelvnAWD

So the legislature finally allowed Superspeeder to go through. Starts January 1. they are advertising/warning people on the DOT signs already...watch out...

27. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

just another money making scheme. :unamused:

28. Money goes to help fund trauma services.

Let me rephrase that: Money is supposed to help fund trauma services... what they'll actually use it for is anyone's guess...

I have mixed feelings about this bit of legislation, we'll have to see how it works out...

29. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ How exactly are your feelings mixed? Do you feel this could somehow be positive because it will cause people to slow down, making the roads safer? I've allready slowed down a good bit because there are more and more speed traps everywhere, so this won't really effect me.. but I still feel its a BS policy. I have a hard time believing this money will go to trauma services as its supposed to...

30. Alex

I am still less than thrilled with the idea. Red light cameras seem like they would be a much better "revenue-generator-wait-it-is-for-a-good-cause-generator".

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

how do you feel being turned into a glorified tax collector?

32. Because it's tough to find common ground between those who say it's a legitimate program intended to improve highway safety, and those who say it's nothing more than a ploy to generate revenue. I don't know enough of the details to predict how well the program will work once it's in full swing, we'll just have to see. In my line of work I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that the three biggest causes of fatal and serious injury wrecks, in any order or combination, are DUI, speeding, and no seat belt. Obviously any program targeted at reducing these wrecks is going to appeal to me. Now if all the money collected is really going to help fund trauma centers, that's great, however I have my doubts. Government is made up of politicians, after all...

Alex, the big issue they were having with red light cameras is that once people started behaving, the money stopped coming in. Sometimes it was to the point where the cameras were just barely paying for themselves. They were very effective though... injury accidents at intersections with cameras (in one particular city whose statistics I am aware of) dropped down to almost nothing while the cameras were in place. Victims of their own success I suppose...

33. I'm already a glorified insurance adjuster :)