Honda pricing help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bug-Rex, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

I am looking at a 1986 Honda Civic 3-door hatchback. It is super clean and has 200,175 miles on it. I still have yet to find more info on it, but he is asking $2200 for it. I think this is way too high, but KBB or Nada don't have prices for cars that old.

I was thinking of offering him $1200 and see what he says.

Can anyone find a basic price for this car in this condition? I have scoured the internet but can't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any insight about these cars would be great too!

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

i wouldnt pay more than $500 personally. I'm a honduh nut at heart. but that thing is a pos, pretty sure its carbeurated and carbeurated hondas are notorious for issues. granted it has 200k on it. i still would pay that much for it, unless it has some kik-ass swap in it

3. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Thanks for the insight. If I do get it I am definitely going to be dropping something sweet in it.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah don't pay anything over $750 for it. I don't care if its showroom mint

5. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Why don't you get an EF? The third generation Civic and CRXs had torsion suspension... torsion suspension is crap :(.

The EFs came with double wishbone... my EF is most likely the best handling FWD car I've ever driven. Hell my civic handles better than my STi or WRX ever did.

6. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

I am only looking for a little DD. This car just happens to be parked on the street with a sign on it. I just thought why not? I am only going to be dropping something in it to make it more reliable also. Thanks none the less Meredith!

7. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I had two 1st gen CRX SIs (which shared the torsion crap from the third gen civic)..... trust me it's worth the time to find a nice EF... I'm not quite sure but I belive honda went to direct injection over all of the E-series too. Actually there is a nice second gen CRX Si for sale on soloatlanta.com. The car used to belong to a member of wrxatlanta (Eric F aka Eyeballs). It's in good condition and if you have questions ask Brian as he helped Eric with the car a year or so ago.

http://www.soloatlanta.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2562

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Just like everyone has said...stay away...I am a Honda nut but wouldnt buy this car unless it was well under $1000. Get a 4th gen + Civic or 2nd Gen+ CRX. You can get a 4th gen+ Civic for under $2k easily. I have a buddy that has an 89 Miata for sale if interested. It is right at $2k

9. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Well, if I can't get it for close to 1k, I am also thinking about a Ruckus. My house is only about 2 miles from school. Anybody know anything about these?

10. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

other than they are awesome?

11. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

seriously stay away from 86... they have a carb and doing any aort of swap into them is a pain in the ass... you can easily find shells for ef's for 500 bucks and do a swap into them for not much more... best of luck to you

12. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

2200 for an 86...you can get a 90 crx for way cheaper. $500 tops!!!

13. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

If it is an Si, it is FI, otherwise, it is carb'd.

A lot of parts are becoming NLA for these cars, and aftermarket stuff is just about non-existent.

I sold all of my 3G Civic/1G CRX parts a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back.

Mere is right... solid axle in the rear, torsion bars up front is not the way to go. These cars are pretty notorious for rust issues too, if it spent any time up north.

You should be able to find a 88-91 at a reasonable price range, and it a huge step up from the 84-87 cars. I found my friend '89 civic si on CL for $1100 about 5 months ago.