gmail/facebook hacked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AtlxPat, Jan 4, 2010.

1. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

has anyone ever had this happen to them? today i woke up to a friend calling me, saying how my account was probably hacked. It looks like they emailed all my friends on facebook and said that i was stuck in london and that i needed money to get back home.
    gmail account resolve form is a bunch of BS and doesnt work. i cant get my account back.

i'm also paranoid about my bank accounts/ credit cards/ paypal being touched...this wont be a fun road

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Jake

Jake Active Member

dang, haven't heard of that one.

3. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yes, my Facebook was hacked. I got an SMS from some girl back in Harrisburg a couple months ago freaking out because I supposedly sent her a message through Facebook that I was in trouble and needed money. She was trying to find out what was going on.

Later that day I get home from work and there is an email from Facebook Security saying that my account was hacked, and quite possibly my email account also. The email said to reinstate my Facebook Account to reply to the email with my Secret Question Answer.

If my Facebook account was hacked, and they are also saying that possibly my email account was hacked, why would I respond to an email on the possibly hacked account with more information?

I have not been on Facebook since. I have deleted my email account with Comcast and started another one, and will have nothing to do with Facebook again.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

No way!!! I got this in an email from you this morning!!!! Here it is....

From: This sender is DomainKeys verified"Patrick Chang" <p.chang4943@gmail.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: undisclosed-recipientsAm sorry i didn't inform you about my urgent trip to London, i don't
    have much time on the PC here,so i have to brief you my present
    situation which requires your urgent response actually, I had a trip
    to London but unfortunately for me all my money got stolen at the
    hotel where i lodged due to a robbery incident that happened in the
    hotel.I had been so restless since last night because i have been
    without any money moreover the Hotel's telephone lines here got
    disconnected by the robbers and they are trying to get them fixed back
    i have access to only emails at the library because my mobile cant
    work here so i didn't bring it along,please i want you to help me with
    money so please can you send me 850 Pounds or any amount you can
    afford so when i return back i would refund it back to you as soon as
    i get home,Am so confused right now and don't know what to do, I had
    been to the embassy and they are currently looking into my case,Please
    send the money through Western Union Money Transfer so i will get it
    immediately its sent,i want you to please transfer the money as soon
    as possible.Here is the details you need for the transfer below,

Receivers Names:patrick Chang
    Receivers Address:328 Mile End Road
    City- London
    Country- UK
    Zip Code- E1 4NS

6. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

holy shit...did i ever email you? i thought we talked through PMs

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I believe so.. going back and forth about the xbox live acct etc... I recognized the name, but assumed it was just a spammer and the name was a coincidence...

8. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

hope you didnt send any money:eek:

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I keep getting spoofed emails from Facebook asking for account updates and login updates and security updates. They all go to urls with facebook as the sub-domain :rofl:

Use some common sense and dont be clicking links :)

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Damn it! I sent 2000 Pounds just to make sure you'd be ok! :)

11. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea thats the thing, i dont remember "updating" anything
    they got my email too, so its obvious that they started out with my email, then went onto facebook from there with a password recovery

12. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so far i've changed everything except for my import atlanta account, they can have that.

13. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

:rofl:

14. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

more bad news, i recently made a few sales on half.com and i guess they saw that and stole my ebay account and bought a bunch of stuff

15. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

how many numbers do you put in your passwords? You might want to consider at least 5.

16. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I have gotten that stuff in my junk email but it I never had it go anywhere past that. delete,delete,delete...

17. pankopp

pankopp Member

my ex girlfriend got the same message this weekend from one of her friends... Same thing: European trip, cash stolen deal.

Thats crazy!

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

thread title is misleading. you got phished from some kind of redirect site. nothing happened to gmail/fb

19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

what do you mean exactly? my fb account is deleted

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

you got pished, as in you gave someone your password, facebook didn't get hacked.

21. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

Finally, two people with some sense.

A few months ago I started getting Bank of america, paypal, home depot, lowes and other type emails and in the url it was obvious it was a phishing scam. I typically see 3~4 emails a day about how my bank account is frozen, paypal frozen, my house being repo'd by home depot due to my $1,328,302.44 outstanding balance on my biz card....the list goes on.

Some of the links are really good...YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE URL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Altho I would be interested to see what kind of phishing attempt it took for facebook, that is one thing I have yet to receive...myspace/facebook phishing email.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Paypal is a common one for me...

23. FACE

FACE Active Member

BOA and Paypal are daily for me I talked to BOA and gave them all the info and URL now I only get Pay pal bs emails... I should call them too.

NEVER EVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD OUT!!!

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

my password is **********

:)

25. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

cool! when I type in my social security it automatically comes up as ***-**-****.

but seriously, that happened to me once and all i did was change the password. I have stupid hard passwords that I have to write down on paper to remember. It never got to my email. I am thinking it probably takes your email and trys the same password it used for FB. FB is fine, just stop using all the apps because it's the apps IMO.

26. Alex

Well gmail has already been hacked. I pointed this out earlier with their captcha being broken. The problem is there is simply no anti-human spam preventions that will not disrupt normal use.

Spam has been rampant on facebook for a while now. This is just a new kind. The password reset account crack combo always seems to be the goto choice since it is so easy.

27. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

cracking a captcha scheme does not mean "hacked". no accounts were compromised

28. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I accidentally texted my gmail password to a couple members… One of them you'd never want to have your password.
    It was a pretty crazy password. Key word, was.

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

ugh...been there, been hacked.

thanks, nicad

30. blaster

How'd you guess?

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

:rofl:

also, derf you've never texted to your password to me.

32. blaster

I have, it just wasn't identified as my password, luckily. Mobile copy/paste mishap.

33. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

my wife's e-mail was hacked and someone sent spam form her account. We had the computer checked for viruses, changed her password and haven't have an issue since.

Sorry you have to go through this ordeal. I know how stressful it can be.

34. Alex

Do you not view breaking a security or checkpoint with the intent of creating accounts for a malicious use not hacking?

35. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i agree alex, i see that as hacking...

36. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no, and neither does google or any other people that work in secops/netops

like I said, bypassing a captcha scheme doesn't compromise security - it's just an annoyance for the provider

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  37. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I noticed that my me and my wife had to re-enter our user name and password when we logged on to facebook after the new year. i wonder if the cookie expired or if they purged their data.