Anyone been to the Florida Keys?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Wife and I want to spend a week in the Keys. I know nothing about the Keys but I do know that I do not want to be on the Key West end. We are looking for a nice sorta secluded area away from the hustle and bustle of beach tourism where we can enjoy some much needed time together and relaxing.

So anyone know which of the Keys fits the bill? I heard Marathon is very nice as is Islamorada.

Thanks for any input.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Marathon is nice. I have a buddy who has a house off Summerland Key. nice little area, very quiet and secluded...it's about 45 minutes from marathon and 25 from big pine key. That's the closest key that will have any sort of life to it (restaurants and whatnot).

I'd love to go back at some point soon...Key West isn't all that bad. There's some nice, secluded parts, and then there's Duval Street.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Reason we don't want to be at Key West is there are some people we don't want to run into there. We will visit but not stay there ;)

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hahaha that was a big part of why we don't want to 'stay' there.

6. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

7. [​IMG]

This book was written by my step-uncle...might have some good info on some happening places other than Key West. He an my step-aunt live on Islamorada.

8. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Just got back from a friends wedding in Islamorada. Also stayed on Hawks Kay Resort on Duck Key. I like the keys, but temper your expectations a little. Want to swim, dive, drink, eat..you should have a nice time. Looking for long walks on sandy beaches? Not gonna happen. The keys have almost no beach front that is publicly accessible anymore...sad...

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

wow. way to be intolerant and a homophobe. you might catch the gay if you go to key west!

that being said, key west is a cool place to hang out. they have some great food, diving, etc but if your book handed down by zombie jesus is enough to scare you away from the gays, feel free not to go there. they won't miss you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

I went for a fraternity trip a ways back, we stayed in key largo as it was cheap and had a few restaurants, then did all our activities in islamorada and key west. Key west was a lot of fun and the beaches were great.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I resent that and really dude you are cool but that is uncalled for. My beliefs are my beliefs so respect that please. I'm not a homophobe per say as I have a couple of friends who are gay. But they know not to act that way around me if they expect me to socialize. Their choice is their choice.....nothing I can do about that. But if I can avoid seeing certain things, I'll do it.

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah wife and I realized that the more we researched. We may just end up staying in Pigeon Forge since there are several things we want to do up there too.

13. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

My wife and I just vacationed through the Keys this past summer.

Honestly, it's pretty nice, but it wasn't the "highlight" of our vacation. We enjoyed Sanibel Island the best (on the gulf coust).

The best thing about Key West was catching a catamaran boat ride out to the Dry Tortugas. That place was beyond belief. PM me if you want more info as it sounds like you've changed your mind about vacation spots.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

We spent our honeymoon on Sanibel and we fell in love with it. Want to go back but I personally want to wait a few more years so that it isn't something 'familiar'. I'm the type that likes to go to new places everytime I vacation and not do the same ol same ol.

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Bahamas.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Would LOVE that but budget is a little tight ;)

I've got repairs to do on the house and planning for a baby in 2010 ;)

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Congrats on the baby! GET A NANNY ASAP. Saved my brothers life.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hahaha no baby yet ;) "Planning" on it.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

At least trying is fun ;)

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Indeed....:rofl:

21. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

I've got keys in my pocket.

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yes, I have.

23. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Way to represent and spread the loving words of Jesus.

I am sure that that is exactly what he would do. :cool:

It sounds like you have cut and pasted aspects of Christianity to fit your wants/needs. Way to go :clap:

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I'm sure Jesus would walk right up in there and spread the loving Word to whomever will listen and not avoid it ;)

But I've been trying my best to live a better life.....I fail many times but I guess that's what makes me human. :wiggle:

25. Weapon

Just like your sig.

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup ;)

It's not hurting anyone though ;) Does anyone that hasn't been in that deleted thread know what it is? Nope....therefore not hurting anyone. Those that read that thread have already made up their minds what to believe and the sig isn't gonna make anyone change their mind.

It's there for the funnay as I find it hilarious. But really if I was requested to remove it I gladly would....but hasn't happened yet.

27. slowdriver

slowdriver Banned

The sig is awesome. I need to capture it.

28. Weapon

Its ok. I understand youre a bandwagon fanboy. Cant wait to see the next band ;)

Anyway..Back on topic. The Bahamas are nice as are The Keys. Why not do a cruise or a resort style package deal.

29. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i second the Dry Tortugas. i was there a few years back for photo shoot. it was like nothing you'll ever see anywhere else. it's a fort in the middle of the ocean AND it's a bird sanctuary. very surreal. it's also the best place to go fishing in the keys. i can get the name of one of the best fishing captains money can buy if you're interested. he's been a captain since he was like 15 or some shit. he and his dad-in-law have a fishing talkshow on a radio station down there.

i hear the drive though to whole keys section of islands is the best way to see them. say at a different b&b each night on a different island.

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Those are options too.

Bandwagon fanboy :rofl: Not jumping on any bandwagon buddy ;) Shoot Epic has virtually no bandwagon support compared to SS and Topspeed. They are local which is 90% why I went that route.

31. Weapon

Who is Epic? I thought you were 100% self built :keke:

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I am 100% self built ;)

Epic does my tuning on the car. www.epicmotorsports.net

Robbie Latta, Steve, and Jason are good people. They are only 1.25 hrs from me vs your local tuners being 6-6.5 hrs.

33. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member