Odyssey Problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by midnight_rider, Jan 26, 2010.

1. 97 Honda Odyssey. Ive been having a problem with an odyssey that my shop bought to fix and flip. The owner sold the vehicle because the engine had low compression and didnt want to pay to fix it. Sooo we replaced the engine. Its a 4 cylinder JDM engine. It did not have a CKP sensor so we swaped over the crank pulley, oil pump and pickup, and the front cover in order to use it. Put everything back together and it will not start. It turns over and runs for half a second and shuts off. it had good fuel pressure, spark, the timing has been checked 3 times, and its perfect as well as compression. It sets a CKP code. I checked the wiring between the sensor and the computer and everything is fine. I replaced the sensor but the problem is still present. It has a TDC sensor in the distributor but the distributor has been replaced and no change. I then thought it might be bad gas. I drained the tank and put 93 in it. We got it to start once and it ran perfectly. We shut it off and went to start it again and it had the same problem. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

fuel pump?

3. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I thought you were talking about one of these when I first read your post..
    [​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

would the ECU for said JDM motor be different?

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Sounds like a huge mess.

Fix the stock engine and put it back to stock.

6. Old motor is prob crushed in a junkyard somewhere...wish my boss had waited to sell it to the scrap guy.I don't think it is the fuel pump because we get good pressure as soon as the key is on. I don't know if the ECU would make a difference as the only difference that I know of between the engines was the absence of the CKP which we changed over the necessary parts. We have also changed the TDC/CMP located in the distributor but to no avail. What I don't understand is how it could run perfectly as soon as the gas was changed and then once it was shut off it wouldn't start again. My boss found an ECU for it so we'll see it that changes anything.

7. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

when you drained the "bad" gas you depressurized the system. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

8. well we just changed over the computer and it made no difference. We then changed the positions of the plugs on the distributor and it cranked and ran but only on 3 cylinders. Im assuming that either the crank or the cam in the JDM is different than that of a USDM motor. The JDM is stamped F22. Im not sure what the USDM was but research led me to believe it is a F22B6. Anyone know anything about these engines?

9. Ok,the 'new' motor did not have a ckp sensor.When you swapped the stuff over did you swap over something for it to read?How long did it run perfectly? I just reread your post.did you check for codes after it ran ok?Did you swap distributors with your old motor??

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

Not sure the difference but I had an f22b1 and f22b2 in previous Hondas of mine. If you don't have all of the sensors from the new motor properly working (I.e. Hooked up to a correct ecu w/ correct wiring harness), then I assure you it won't run right. You can't just slap a full long block from a completely different car into one with different wiring, not hook up everything and expect it to run. Any time I've read anything on jdm Honda (and anything for that matter) swaps the ful wiring harness and ecu or an aftermarket standalone (aem, Crome, etc) were needed. Period

11. EmminoDaGreaT

EmminoDaGreaT New Member

This motor had two sensors on the crank, and it should have a balance shaft belt/ wheel that it uses to trigger the sensor, did you also swap it?

12. EmminoDaGreaT

EmminoDaGreaT New Member

1. its not the ecu
    2. you could have used the jdm dizzy and rewired the sensors at the crank into it
    3. make sure you used your old crank sprocket as well as balance shaft sprocket.

13. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Thats a mad tyte JDM dizzy.

14. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

This....You have to make sure the balance shaft sprocket is from the original USDM engine. I guess since you scrapped the old motor, you can't compare the 2 sprockets. The USDM sprocket should have some indention's or dimples on the back side for the CKP to read.

15. We swapped over the pulleys so the CKP does in fact have something to read

16. SYKOTEK7

SYKOTEK7 New Member

Have you checked the main relay and if you need a motor to look at i have siting on my drive way.

17. Trey

Trey Active Member

This should help. You have a USDM OBD2a ECU (96-98) right?

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm

This thread has people saying the trick above works: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1029958

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  18. Trey

Trey Active Member

The engines are the same.