MTB for Daughter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BKiller, Feb 6, 2010.

1. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So my 11 year old Daughter really wants a mountain bike now. I have agreed to split the cost with her so she is looking to spend about $400-500 total.
    I definitely want to go 26" but I am a little torn on whether to get her a girls bike like the Trek Skye or something a smaller men's bike like a GF Tarpon or Cannondale F8 or Trek 3700 or 3900.
    Any advice on bikes for girls that they can grow into a little bit? Men's vs. Womens bikes?

She won't be doing hardcore off-road but we will be doing some basic trail riding.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

edit just read.

GL with the find!

3. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Small and medium Giant XC hard-tails are pretty women friendly.

4. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

The Skye is a good bike and I'd go that route. She'll like the shorter frame, narrow bars, and girl's seat. I'd look at the Skye S because it has trigger shifting. The Skye has that shitty gripshift stuff and I've found girls struggle with them. They're $450, which is still in your range... There's no reason at all to get a men's bike. They started making the WSD stuff for a reason. And until we know what's going to happen with Crack-N-fail (cannondale) now that Huffy owns them I'd stay away.

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So we went to the trek dealer yesterday and she rode a 13" Skye and a 13" 3500. She liked the 3500 more than the Skye?? They had a Skye SL but she thought it was too girlie looking!!
    My daughter isn't a tomboy so I was shocked by that statement. hmmm..
    Maybe I will take her up to Performance and let her check out the women's GT line?

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Maybe? Tell her she can have a can of spray paint and go to town?

7. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

If she has an opinion about what she wants... 1) that's rare because most girls don't want a bike... and 2) get whatever she likes even if it's the best bike for her. 3500 isn't the best fit for her, but if she likes it she likes it.:dunno

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So how much markup is in the average new bike? Would it be totally inappropriate to try to haggle on the price?

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Treks are price-fixed. Advertised prices on Trek's website are probably 30% over cost. Some shops will sell them at MSRP, which is probably 25% over. My shop sells at advertised under 1K, and MSPR over 1K. This time of year (SLOW season) you can ask for MSRP and get it on all bikes. ;)

Frankly, I don't give a shit about bike sales because that's not my department, but I could get you the best deal ever on a Trek/GF right now. Our shop needs cash-flow and I could talk the owner into anything. I'm off Holcomb Bridge near 400.

10. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

What shop do you work at?

11. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

the one with the sign off that road near the place...

12. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

So its Cycleworks then. Only local shop I know of that carries Trek.

The people there were kind of snobbish though fyi. You weren't there that day though... I hope.

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

They are complete snobs:) Especially the homo that drives the blue forester:) JK!

Go to CW, mmtasty can hook you up on a Trek/GF. If you want a Giant, Specialized, Raleigh, let me know and I can get you a good deal through Roswell Bikes.

14. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

you're probably talking about the tall fat redheaded guy. He is a total asshole... if you had any work done there you would also notice he nickle and dimes customers to death. I can't stand him. His parents are super rich so he doesn't really understand that $100 for a tune-up on a bike is a joke.

15. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I'll be there tomorrow to pick up either a 3500 or 3700 depending on what she chooses.

Brandon

16. I wondered if that was yours. When I went in there a couple of years ago shopping for my Trek everyone was really nice. Especially since they knew we weren't purchasing from there (used AmEx points to get it for free) just trying it out.

BKiller - I have a 3700 and It's worked well for me. I don't do any hardcore stuff, just some dirt roads and greenways. It's an easy bike to ride but my first ride out on it I wrecked big time and it took the beating. I think its a good middle of the road bike. Not too difficult to ride and not a piece of crap. :)

17. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Well, we picked up a 3500 for my daughter. Thanks for the help and the deal. I'm glad we got her the 16" instead of the 13".
    Now if it will warm up so we can go riding together!