Topspeed - as always SUPERB service

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Cool_____, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well Doug worked his magic on the car. At first we had phantom knock but it was just the crap TurboXS knock light freaking out and I never recalibrated it when I disconnected the battery before coming to Atlanta.

Kudos to Topspeed. Doug knows what he is doing and is just flat out awesome. I was amazed at how quick the tune went once we got the idle tables ironed out. I took the car for a drive and my hands are pure shaking from the adrenaline. Doug said on the street this feels faster than a 600 hp car. It spools like crazy.

Now think about this. It's a STOCK 2.5L with CP forged pistons. Stock rods, stock crank. I have NO AVCS. I have 2.0L heads with stock WRX valvetrain and Sti cams. Very simple and low key build. Very impressive for that setup ;) I'm happy and I just think I may be done with the car ;) We'll see.

Anyways the numbers are:
    Meth --478 hp and 435 tq
    Q16 -- 527 hp and 480 tq

[​IMG]

Can you believe I'm getting 32 mpg on extended interstate cruise? That's crazy when you have that much power on tap.

So all of this said, Doug was 100% honest to me and listened to what I had to say. Never hesitated to answer questions. Doug spec'd out this motor....I got ALL my measurements from him. Cicio entertained me and he also has a wealth of info and knows his stuff. Adam (is that right? ) the mechanic was cool as can be and was happy to lend a tool or two for minute while we got the car prepped. And the other guy that straps the cars down, sorry I didn't catch your name, was funny and is learning a lot from the crew.

Topspeed's customer service is LEAGUES above what it has ever been. Cicio and Doug are doing a superb job with that. Cars are rolling in and out of the shop fast....that's the way it needs to be. Tunes are insane....Over 2500 hp worth of cars tuned last week.....AMAZING.

All that being said TOPSPEED.....making POWER, not EXCUSES. They don't just talk the talk....they walk the walk and PROVE it.

In about a month or sooner if I can get in touch with the owners, I'll be at the drag strip. 10's or bust.

Even the retarded monkeys fear it.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

That would be a retarded monkey:) TopSpeed FTW!

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah. I can't believe I got 32 mpg on the way home after I stopped romping on the gas (hey I wasn't gonna waste that Q16!) and filled with 93.

4. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Come on good weather... get that thing to the track.. but I think your going to need some drag radials now :)

5. integroid

Smoking the tires in 3rd gear if just crazy:)

6. Doug@DBW Motorsports

No that stock 5spd still holding is just CRAZY!!

7. integroid

I drive like an old man right now until that 6 speed goes in. See you in a few Doug:)

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Like I told ya....I've got a set of Hoosiers on some 16" tires ;) How you think I managed to break the rear diff on the last drag trip just before Christmas :eek:hnoes: :dirty: I've got 1 more stock R160 so as long as I can get just one good pass in I'm good. I dunno how I'm breaking the diffs and Kokopelli is surviving.....must be how I launch. Breel was laughing like a giddy kid when I did the mini launch on my first 'test' run on the race gas.

Yup....yesterday took a friend for a ride on the meth map. Launched in 1st from a rolling start.....spin, shift, spin, shift, spin spin spin traction, shift! And that was on brand new RE01R's!

Definately!

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Thats awesome... you may actually be surprised the larger turbo takes out alot of the shock because it doesn't come on as violent.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I did notice that yesterday and I'm gonna have to relearn my technique some. But when it comes on, it GOES and never falls off!

11. It was good to meet you man! Thanks for the props!

How does the car feel on pump+meth vs Q?

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well of course Q is very noticeably faster but the pump + meth is still freaking STUPID. The tq is much more progressive on the pump + meth which I assume is due to the timing diff in the two tunes. Make sense and is optimal on a daily tune.

The pump + meth tune is nothing to sneeze at though and has already put a 5.0 mustang that sounded NASTY in it's place on the way home when they got beside me and revved.

Q is just flat out wicked and gives me one heck of an adrenaline rush.

13. sweet man! Glad to hear it.

P.S. I got to the bottom of those lies about the 3000, made me feel better :D

14. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Do you have legal approval to use the Evil Monkey as a logo?

15. Are you talking to Coolrex or us? Because thats not our logo. I will let CoolRex tell you the story. The only part of that sticker that came from TopSpeed was the word TopSpeed :)

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

He quoted CoolRex...he's talking to him.

17. Ok :) Legalities don't really apply when an individual uses two stickers together, thats why I was asking.

Thanks tho

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Nothing illegal. Two separate stickers used. Move on.

But here's the story. We all know the story of the "Retarded Monkey". Well I've been wanting to go wingless for a long time. One of the local Columbia, SC guys told me he had an Aspen White trunk with the wing removed and the holes plugged with white stickers, that I can have if I get it out of his way. I jumped on it as my biggest issue was getting my trunk fixed and having nothing to daily drive on. So this gave me a spare trunk ;) Ironically as fate would have it the Evil Monkey sticker was already on there.

I laughed so hard that I kept it on there. Also as fate would have it the monkey was pointing in the right direction and I couldn't resist....therefore the Topspeed logo was added.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  19. integroid

That isnt even the correct picture of the evil monkey so I am sure it is alright. The one from the family guy is in a suit with a tie.

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

He only had a suit on that one time he found out his wife was cheating on him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Guys what does this have to do with a Topspeed review?

22. integroid

Not a damn thing:)

Just wanted to add in that I just left TopSpeed and Doug finished up my idle and launch control. I am a little scared to try and launch the car with the 5-speed:) Always great to see those guys!

23. WJM

WJM Banned

420 started it!

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup and he's a moderator. :unamused:

25. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Awwww, I'm sorry. Did I disrupt your chance to post whore?

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Nope. Post whore? Please.

Here's post whoring.....

[post whore mode]
    Topspeed FTW. Woot!

Wait a mod disrupted the thread topic! You suck....do a better job you newb!
    [/post whore mode]

27. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

TopSpeed FTW! W00T!

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

nothing. it made your boring thread interesting. we already saw your dyno chart in a different thread.

29. WJM

WJM Banned

^u are t3h awes0m2.

30. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Let it go and get back on topic :)

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You got me confused with Integroid ;) I was there on Saturday.

32. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

and your 5 speed will still explode

33. jeb

jeb Member

Most likely second gear, ^Drew^ was riding with me when I was rolling to a stoplight shifting down into second and mine went out. My cars making somewhere around 325ish

34. 07Ltd#767

at the crank :keke:

but in all seriousness, these things die at stock power...adding more is just asking for it. Check with Doug and Cicio, they can hook you up with the required drivetrain to handle whatever power your goals are

35. b reel

b reel Active Member

Of course if you know how to shift helps, as with the right choice of clutch and pressure plate.

36. WJM

WJM Banned

WHAT. 5MT's dont break from power!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats *UN* possible!!!!!!!!

37. b reel

b reel Active Member

your right Will, they scatter

38. WJM

WJM Banned

into 11ty billion peaces....eeerrr, pieces. :rofl:

39. 07Ltd#767

to his credit, i was in the car...he did nothing wrong, rev matched and dropped it into second. This just goes to show how shitty the transmissions are...

40. b reel

b reel Active Member

I didn't say "Jeb" doesn't know how to drive, just that I question the choices made with clutch and pressure plate options. Just because someone puts a catback and a CAI on their car doesn't mean they need a 6-puck carbon-ceramic twin disc clutch and a heavy duty pressure plate.

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yet my 5 speed lasted 96,000 miles at 350 hp and almost 500 drag passes on it.

42. integroid

and my 5 speed has lasted for 3 years now from anywhere between 350whp to 580 whp.

43. integroid

Yeah, that must have been me if you are talking about a White Legacy Wagon. Either way, both cars made great numbers thanks to Doug working his magic on tuning.

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

BTW how much bigger is that 6262 compared to my 35R with .63 hotside? Isn't your turbo sorta like a 37R if you had to use the GT series naming convention with much better spool properties due to billet wheels?

45. Doug@DBW Motorsports

iirc the 6262 is around a 75lb/min turbo and the 35r is 65lb/min

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ah so a good bit bigger. Thanks.

47. integroid

Yup, it spools like a 35R but puts out the power of a 37R. I have seen some folks even compare it to a 4088 but I dont know if I would go that far.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just got off the phone with the owner of the dragstrip......drag strip is open Saturday and I can get in 2 hours before the crowd ;) :devil:

49. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Awesome... Make us PROUD!!!!

50. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Makes power like a T3 37R, The T4 37R will out power it all day long