FINALLY: the slowpoke bill to stop slow left lane drivers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mattprzy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

2. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Amen!

3. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

I think it's a nice though, but I don't think anything will actually change. It seems like drivers in the States see getting passed as a personal attack or challenge. It's so different from driving in Germany and Europe, where if someone is coming up behind you, and is obviously going faster, you just get over and let them go. Same thing when it comes to merging. Some people would rather speed up and ride someone's ass to not let traffic in, rather than change lanes and keep traffic moving.

4. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Haha... at least that's a step in the right direction.

The problem is someone going 65 in a 65 zone in the left lane when the traffic flow is 80. Until the speed limit is where average people actually drive this law is a waste of time. I can't actually recall anyone doing only "50 mph in a 65 mph stretch of Interstate."

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I think it's stupid, feel good revenue generating legislation and that lawmakers should be spending their time on things that actually fucking matter.

6. Its a good concept but its not going to do any good. Especially on 400 where everyone goes upward of 75-80mph. Yeah, I'd love to see some of these douchebags that go under 65 get pulled over for causing traffic jams, especially the freaking school buses going 40mph, but I think its going to be a tough one to pin down on a driver.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

they won't enforce it. period

8. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

As previously mentioned, most of Europe already has laws similar to this proposed one. Common sense and common courtesy also demand you get the F out of the way when traveling in the left lane in Europe if someone is approaching from behind. It DOES cut down on accidents because you don't have douche bags trying to weave through traffic. Nicad what, if any, traffic associated legislation do you support?

9. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

In Colorado you can be ticketed for holding up traffic in the left lane even if you are doing the speed limit....That I support

10. DaveH

DaveH Member

And that's what this bill would attempt to enforce.

I like it.

About time lazy left lane lingerers were ticketed.

I foresee lots of ladder trucks pulled over....

Oh - I do agree that during peak times, going with the traffic flow, that this would be pointless. But that's not what the intent of the bill is. It's to penalize idiots that do not adhere to 'keep right, except to pass'. At peak traffic, you are not compelled to yield, as you are not the one holding up vehicles behind you.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

You dont drive in north ga enough on 400 then... haha. That happens all the time.

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I dont support hidden taxation in the guise of public safety. Does that answer your question?

laws cannot change public stupidity and our pathetic motor vehicle licensing standards dont help.

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I agree, just like the super speeder law. If they really wanted to protect the public from speeders, they could start by not dropping the points as soon as you walk into a court room. They only want your money and they will drop the speed everytime as long as you are willing to pay the original fine.

If they actually gave you the points then I wouldn't have a license.

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Same here...

15. DaveH

DaveH Member

I can tell you the super-speeder law has made a difference to driving habits on my commute. I travel against traffic from downtown to Kennesaw every morning. It is VERY rare that you see cars exceeding 80 now.

16. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^you should come up 400-way....doesn't seem to have slowed many people down around here.

17. ThatScottGuy

ThatScottGuy Member

That is what I came here to say. They made a lot of noise about this a few years back and nothing changed then, no reason to believe it now.

18. Slow Hatch

Slow Hatch Member

I am all for it. I CANNOT stand people cruising in the left lane(usually on their cell phone going the speed limit or below. When there is a flow of traffic doing 10mph faster coming up on them and no one preventing them from being in the right lane.

19. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I'm tired of all the douche bags that break check me in the left lane.

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Have to disagree here... I've noticed a huge slowdown on 400, myself included. I used to average 80, and have slowed to 73-75. I've noticed that people seem afraid of driving in the fast lane at all. Instead they terrorize the remaining lanes, wanting to speed... tailing everyone, except they don't want to be in front of the pack. This would be a good thing if those people actually used the fast lane for what its made for (passing), but this isn't the case. I can't confirm this, but I've read that cops are now targeting super speeders almost exclusively... looking for 80+, so I figure I'm safe going 75.. good for me.

21. Shewb

Shewb Member

I think some people are missing the point. They will never ticket someone for traveling in the left lane if they are obeying the speed limit. And I, personally, have never seen anyone in the left lane traveling slower than the speed limit.

I totally agree with Nicad on this one.....hidden taxation!

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have to agree with Ped. I have seen little to no difference on 400. I have slowed down, but others have not. I used to do 80 on 400 all the time, now I limit myself to 70-ish.

23. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Agreed... Driving the speed limit in that lane would be suicide.. I can't imagine someone doing 50...

24. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

This bill is full of hypocrisy. As Shewb mentioned, people will not be ticketed for obeying the speed-limit, regardless of lane position or traffic flow. I doubt this bill, if passed, found stand up to legal appeals.

But people going under the legal speed limit, in the left lane, should be ticketed. Of course, how often does that happen?

25. Shewb

Shewb Member

Unless they're going to use this as reasoning to ticket people passing on the right? Not sure of how the law would be worded.

26. DaveH

DaveH Member

Dammit, I just wish something effective could be done to enforce lane etiquette. These idiots need to be GONE from the left lane.

Meantime, it's costing me an absolute fortune to keep this fed with 20mm rounds:

[​IMG]

27. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

You guys give waaaaay to much credit to the capability of your elected officials to implement nefarious laws. Myopic and short sighted, yes, conspiracy, no.