French Onion Soup SHOWDOWN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Mar 10, 2010.

?

What's the "real" cheese to top off your soup with?

1. Gruyere

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Swiss

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Parmesan (wth is wrong with you?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's french onion soup?

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

So..

What's the cheese of choice? (See Poll).

2. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Provolone.

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Provolone +1

4. Decker@Forged

Decker@Forged Member

+1

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought it was suppose to be provolone

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

American!

7. Alex

Prov is good, but doesnt do enough for me.

It is a good melting cheese though :)

8. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

For a little while I had an idea to open a restaurant just so I could put a provolone grilled cheese on the kid's menu. I always imagined they'd go apeshit because it's so stretchy.

9. Alex

Yeah, I'm making it tonight...and damn does it smell so great in the kitchen :)

It's a conspiracy that the oven proof broiling bowls are so expensive :rofl:

10. trouble06

trouble06 Member

Good job on the gruyere poll result!!!

11. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Prior to adding the onions I flash saute them in a camenerie until just a hint of Caramelization. When the soup is done I top it off with a mild emmentaler with shredded smoked gouda or a Berliner KUHKÄSE with caraway seeds that compliments the body of the French onion soup uniquely and superbly!

12. Alex

Now Gouda is an interesting idea. I can see its smokeyness working well with the soup. I made this batch in a white wine and sherry reduction. I'll probably do red next as I can drink more of the leftover wine. Not a white fan :(

13. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Try the Camenerie it will compliment the natural sweetness of the onion perfectly just don't over cook it. The smoked gouda is phenomenal but it needs a neutral base cheese also to balance it since the French onion can be a little salty already. If you want to try something different and can't find the German cheese I mentioned, sauté a tablespoon, or to preference, of caraway seeds with the onions and Camanerie and then add them to the broth, it will simply blow you away.

Of course a modestly toasted French Baguette, no rye or whole wheat, something to neutrally absorb not compete with the heartiness of this great rustic soup.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  14. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I always throw in chunks of braised short ribs so there's a nice meaty souprise at the bottom =P

15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Thats because you know whats up my friend

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Although braised (beef) short ribs may contribute to a good stock for this soup and a great follow up main course, it would most certainly and absolutely ruin the focus of the French Onion soup and it's main ingredient which is Onions.

Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs with Gorgonzola Polenta & Three-Herb Gremolata.This can be a beautiful secondo after the soup.

Dumping short ribs into a beautiful rustic French Onion Soup is like putting crap ass drop in pistons into a machined short block. You simultaneously ruin the soup and the ribs. Your only big surprise in a restaurant would be people asking for their money back. Don't you work in the restaurant industry.....yikes!

17. slowwrx

Opinions are like assholes, while you may not want any shortribs in the bottom of your soup, Ill certainly take them in mine, now it may not be french soup but it is tasty.

Oh and not only does Wes work in the food industry but he is also one of the most knowledgeable "foodies" that I know.

Chances are if Wes says its good then it is. People who think that classic dishes can't be improved upon remind me of the French, who still think that every other wine in the world is junk.

18. calmnothing

I just like meat in everything....bacon kool-aid anyone?

19. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

You eat enough "fine dinning" to know that if someone served you a gorgeous bowl of French onion soup at fine dining prices and you went to eat it and there was boiled GREY pieces of rib meat floating around, I mean c'mon , boiled rib tips you wouldn't you say WTF.

Maybe just stick to fast food you will save a bunch of money!

20. calmnothing

21. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

If opinions are like ass holes then there are plenty off assholes floating around.......Aren't there......?

22. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Chill.

23. calmnothing

So are you guys using white, yellow, red, vidalia, maui, green? What kind of onions? Or a mix? Any shallots?

24. Alex

But the French invented cooking! :clap:

25. Alex

I like a mix of yellow, red and shallots personally.

26. slowwrx

You have got to be kidding me...boiled short ribs, what if they were fucking braised Wagyu beef short ribs. Do you truly fucking think that French onion soup is so great that it can't be improved upon.

It amazes me how fucking closed minded some people are when it comes to food. Keep eating the same boring crap you always eat its not going to hurt my feelings. People like you are the same people who sing the praises of quick spooling stock turbos.

27. slowwrx

Yeah and they are still using the same boring recipes, while I may still want to go to France to see the sites and eat, as far as food goes they are pretty far down the list.

28. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I am not knocking it. If I want to eat Beef braised soup with Onions I would certainly consider it, accept the: "More than Gourmet" 800-860-9389 soup base mixed in it". There is a possibility that a low to middle end restaurant would use mass produced stock bases to create their dishes, I can guarantee any Chef with self respect would never utilize such a thing. Stock is sacred and maybe I should not be on this site to argue this, but YOU out of all people, working in food service should know that "stock" is the heart beat and the pulse of any kitchen. If your establishment can't make their own stock than
    there is always: WaffleHouse (Misspelling appropriate). Hell just getyoselfsomegrits&flapjacks&callitanight" unless there is an "ice" raid then make sure you show yo ID!

29. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Hay buddy certain shoulder cuts, short ribs, many Beef sources without cartilage can make an excellent stock for French Onion soup doesn't mean you throw the whole cow in the soup. You want Wagyu Beef short ribs go to a fucking Korean barbecue. It's not a matter of fusion or traditional French recipes it's a matter of giving a recipe the right amount of respect for the main ingredient and accentuating it, without blowing the whole theme, get it!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  30. Alex

Everyone else copied France's innovation though ;)

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Its like the iphone... Apple is using the same stale OS.. while android/WP7S/WebOs are leaping ahead but they all copied the original iphone idea.

32. Alex

I cheated with my stock tonight, but frankly, I do not find myself with the time to reduce and create stocks from the few hours I have every week to create super awesome beef dishes that are bone in :)

Here's the import message here: The influence is not exactly irrelevant; however, good cooking and good food comes from within with the motivation that you and your friends will sit down at a table together and enjoy the experience. Period.

33. Alex

Don't sue me for my use of the French onion process please!

34. slowwrx

Yeah ok enjoy your soup

35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I hold the patent on "Rendering a liquid with meat flavors by simmering said meat in liquid."

36. Alex

Well, we're not talking Pho here :)

The most basic notion of soups/stews is that they are flexible. You're boiling down shitty cuts of meat and cheap herbs and veggies from your garden so you have something that's worth a shit to eat.

37. Alex

And you did this before the stovetop was created of course.

38. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

What a cop-out

39. slowwrx

Yeah I know thats my point

40. Alex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_onion_soup

I bet a friend that French onion soup wasnt actually from France :eek: Doh.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  41. calmnothing

I always cheat and use stocks/broths out of a can because it really is too time consuming. That and my apartment would always smell like beef/chicken or whatever.

42. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Actually shitty cuts of meat (non cartilage) are the best for stock and herb and veggies from your garden are phenomenal. So shitty cuts of meat and free veggies form your garden with give you something incredibly worth eating.

In addition you won't need to add, hydrogenated fats, or monosaccharides include glucose (dextrose), fructose (levulose), galactose, xylose and ribose. Which most food companies will mass produce and sell to you and your children causing ADD childhood obesity and childhood diabetes.

I was a Chef and an instructor at a culinary school. I would be happy to contribute recipe's especially if they are nutritious oriented.

43. calmnothing

It's just soup

[​IMG]
    Deconstructed

44. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

The smell of good beef or chicken broth is phenomenal. You are obviously not a food oriented person. If the smell of these foods bothers you, working at a restaurant must be a huge obstacle.

45. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

That ain't soup

46. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Thank You for confirming your knowledge of foods is like Toyota's knowledge of responsibility...................

47. calmnothing

The smell of broth throughout my tiny apartment all day would bother the crap out of me. It's not like going up to the pot and wafting it, it's like straight up beef broth in my house. Tried it and hated it.

48. calmnothing

Besides if it were all about the stock, then why don't you grow your own onions? Raise your own beef? I'm sure the salt you use wasn't made by your hands.

Restaurants rely on other people all the time to make certain products because they can't make the product just as good or it would just plain cost too much. Would you criticize someone for using holeman and finch bread? Are the restaurants crappy because EVERY restaurant in atlanta gets their oysters from Inland seafood?

I can't make a turbo so I buy one from Forced Performance or Blouch. Doesn't mean the part is of less quality or what it is going in is less quality because I didn't make it.

49. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

It depends on the restaurant. You can buy mass produced onions, beef, or salt, or you can buy organically, or locally produced onions, http://www.n-georgia.com/farmers_markets.htm! You can buy Beef raised in Georgia http://www.whiteoakpastures.com/ and Japanese Sea salt; the best. Combine these products and market them effectively and you can have a excellent menu. You can also market these products as far as your ingredients and promote local Georgia commerce and the finest raw materials possible. You can also do it at an affordable menu price!

Buddy, every restaurant does not get their Oysters from inland seafood, if you require restaurant owners for proof. I can supply them!

Of course you can also hit El Polio Loco at 2a.m. after a good amount of alcohol and whatever you eat will all taste good! Which sounds like where you're at. If that's where you're at with foods, hay I respect that, no problemo amigo, but it ain't quality ingredients! In fact if you know anything about food sales you know the restaurants who buy discount cuts of Chicken or Beef are getting a great deal per lb. because they are buying animals that are deceased due to disease or old age. If you fry the fuck out of the meat or grill the fuck out of it, know one will ever know, especially if you throw a little sauce on there.

I don't know how these would equate to turbo's, maybe E-bay turbo's from China "hay they do what they supposed to do" compared to Blousch or FP..............................

50. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Last but not least, please let me know what restaurant you work at, so I never eat there! At least I will be assured of one restaurant where I know I will never get ripped off at.