Forged 07 STI debate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lobelsteve, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Tuck and roll.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Lol when you are drenched in fuel tuck and rolling ain't gonna do jack.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

do the high pressure lines still run outside the car? I mean, I know they have to be in the cab for a little while, but if you could shield these I would think that would be the main thing. Having pressurized lines at 80psi tear in car would create a shower that's going to atomize a majority of the E85 in those lines, creating a mist that even static electricity would ignite. I think on the lower pressure side, even though I wouldn't want them unshielded in car, it's going to be a little harder to ignite...but I dunno...

Silly question, but would you guys at forge use this setup in your own car? I'm trying to stay neutral here, just worried about the customer in the unlikely event he has an accident, as he's already admitted he's a novice driver who's looking to do some HPDE events.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

^to add to this, the stock fuel lines run inside the car. BUT, they are very well shielded and hidden.

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Looks like a good setup for showing off at Nopi, but I wouldn't want the fuel system exposed in my trunk without a firewall.

Nice bottle of NOS! (in one of the pics that SS posted for showing what other monkeys are doing)

Some of those setups that SS posted look like a mobile drug lab.

Don't really see a legality with it if you are racing the car, as it isn't technically part of the passenger compartment, even though there isn't a firewall separating the trunk from the cabin.

I am sure you could also find some pro race cars doing something similar, but I would imagine that they would typically have a fire system too...

Also, what happens when one pump dies in the two pump setup? Does it just go lean and die, or is there some sort of failsafe?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

All the meth kits that anybody on this board have ever used have a PLASTIC tank and pump inside the trunk, and no firewalls... and half of them use PLASTIC line. AND methanol burns INVISIBLE.

Slowwrx, if I remember, back when your car ran, YOU had a meth tank and pump INSIDE your car! With no firewall! AND you tracked it! WOW!

But I understand, after years of me supporting everybody on here to the best of my ability, now we're the favorite target. It's cool. A little ridiculous to me to see things that NOBODY on here has EVER said was a bad idea (meth kit and pump in the trunk), are "stupid" when we do it...

Siegel

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That right there is a STUPID comment. If you think the methanol tank is CONSTANTLY under pressure.....you should consider renewing your engineering degree. Also the majority of meth tanks in the trunk are not on the back of the seat but rather tucked away in the side compartment towards the back of the trunk.

Oh and most of those pics you posted look like Drag car setups.

8. siegelracing

I think my engineering degree is secure... The surge tank isn't pressurized either. One of those three ports is a vent.

The Spec-C tank is certainly on the seat-backs, right about the same spot as ours...

Siegel

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Not to add fuel to the fire...lol I crack myself up.....but since you went to GT, you should know that methanol is nowhere near as flamible as gasoline.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/08-fire.pdf

Here is a something from the epa if you need a refresher course on Methanol.

10. integroid

Also, I dont think it is you that is the target.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Correct.

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Not to mention meth on a street car is illegal.

Not to mention that most everyone's car on here is illegal to drive.

Not to mention that phone calls to some people will put some people out of biz.

13. siegelracing

If it's not me that's the target, maybe "attackers" should consider who gets hit when they "fire"...

[​IMG]

14. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Well this thread was a good read I give it another few min or so before its locked sigh...

15. integroid

Come on Scott, let's keep this on track before they close yet another thread involving Forged.

16. WJM

WJM Banned

If you quit standing so close to the target you wont be hit by shrapnel.

17. 07Ltd#767

Did not know this...hrmm...

Another out of curiosity question which I'm not sure you'll be able to answer, but what's the approximate build cost of this car? By my estimates with the car (based on my own experiences), this car has to have topped the $75k mark. I'd like to see a journal dictating all of the upgrades this thing has seen. Along with the fuel system, have you upgraded the drivetrain and brakes? Steve, do you plan on putting a cage in this thing?

18. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Scott, You are not a target. I thought I made it very clear in my post that the setup looks very nice and that it is functional but you just like Shariff can't possibly think that its ok to run that inside the car.

If everyone else jumped off a bridge would you?

I did in fact run Meth inside my car and it was a really bad idea, so was running that car at that level without a rollcage, never should have done it. Shouldn't have driven without a Hans device either but I did. I didn't really think about the danger of running that setup when I did it, now I know better.

19. WJM

WJM Banned

Yup. Law books say so. Something about EPA and DOT rules and regs.

I know a few people with over $100k invested in go fast parts and labor and their cars are still slower and dont make as much power. So your guess is probably close.

20. I seriously doubt the car has seen 75k worth of mods. Don't get me wrong its a nice car, but without some high end suspension (which that I know of the car doesn't have YET), wheels and tires, really nice brakes, and areo its really hard to put 75k in a Subaru unless you got raped.

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Seriously though, what happens when one of the pumps fails in the dual pump setup? Is there some sort of fail safe?

Are the dual pumps required due to one pump not flowing well enough, or are they just redundant pumps?

Did I miss a discussion on this?

22. integroid

Fuel Pressure gauge and Wideband is your failsafe:)

23. integroid

How much was a GTR Tranny?

24. slowwrx

LOL, it blows up

25. WJM

WJM Banned

$15k i think.

26. 07Ltd#767

I meant including the car, not just in mods. I know in my build car + mods was over $50k, and this is far beyond what mine was.

27. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

business is tough sometimes. reputations are formed for a reason, and only the strong survive. good luck. :clap:

28. Ah yes, including the car I would say 60-70k is pretty much on target. (depending on when he bought the car I guess :) )

29. WJM

WJM Banned

Yes, we always include the car.

Those numbers not including the car would be retarded to spend unless you are going for some sort of stupidity record.

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

31. tolnep

tolnep Member

modding cars can get stupid expensive. i watched a very wealthy person spend around a 100k on very modded datsun 510 in the early 80s. thats 100k thirty years ago..

and for 70k you can purchase a new z06 corvette if you search hard and bargain hard.

i just saw a nice bank foreclosure home less than 10 years old with a two car garage sell for less than 90k in kennesaw to put things in a different perspective....

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yep it gets expensive. I bought my home which is brick with all hardwood floors and 3 acres of land for $67000.

33. WJM

WJM Banned

screw you asshole! :unamused:

At least mine is finally under contract...so I can like...not live with the in-laws soon.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

35. 07Ltd#767

must be nice living in the sticks :rofl:

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It most certainly is! Noone bothers anyone and you can do what the heck you want.

37. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

including your cousins and sisters

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  38. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

win.

39. WJM

WJM Banned

*bomb*

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

*Spits Pepsi on work laptop* :fawk: Which I have none :hsnono: (not that I would anyways....gross)

41. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

pepsi? gtfo.

42. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Some people aren't as cool as you with a job that allows alcoholic beverages.

43. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it's coke or nothing bro

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

True....but the vending machine was out.......whatever.

45. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

I guess the only way we can settle this is for me to get the car out on the track and roll it a few times to see if I blow up and burn to death. Awesome Youtube video that would make, eh?

It's my car, and it is how I wanted it. If I need to weld some 14G behind the back seats to make a firewall, that would cost $300 and take an hour.

I'll throw some coilovers on it in April or May. Maybe I need to defer to the Subaru gods here so I do not pick the wrong one. RCE T2 vs KW vs others?

I need it to ride comfy on the street and take on occasional track duties.

46. slowwrx

RCE T2s....Be blessed my son

47. integroid

Thanks for making me spit Diet Mtn Dew all over my beautiful 24" HP LCD Monitor

48. WJM

WJM Banned

Just roll with some Ohlins. Pricey but awesome under all conditions. I've driven on them for a super extended period of time (28hrs/~1600 miles) and I was really impressed. They rode BETTER than stock AND performed great on track and autox.

Otherwise, Megan street series.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

49. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Moton FTW! I put them on my last 3 cars, and am loving them.

Doesn't make sense to me to spend all of that money on a motor and put some cheap coilovers on it.

Had KW V3 shocks on my STi and wasn't a fan.

The dampening of the Moton shocks will make them comfortable on the street.

50. slowwrx

The Motons are great but the rebuild intervals seem to be kind of short, the valving on the RCEs is much better than the KWs and they are much cheaper than the Motons or JRZs. If you don't mind spending the money then I would get the JRZs Motons would be my second choice