New STi :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bixs, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself real quick and my new baby. first off, i'm an ex-DSM'r. i owned x2 1992 Plymouth Laser AWD turbo's. both decently modified. first one got totaled, so i proceeded to completely part out that one and rebuilt the engine/swapped it into the 2nd Laser. Wanted something reliable for college, so I bought an 02 S10 Xtreme (which is for sale *cough*).

i never let anyone work on my cars (any garage), friends have helped in the past but i normally was the one that helped others replace anything you can imagine.

i've had 2 friends with wrx's that i always thought were amazing cars (up in ohio tho). so i've been dreaming of STi's for a while, and it's finally my turn to feel the love. plan on making it out to some events this spring/summer :)

http://bixsti.com/sub1.jpg
    http://bixsti.com/sub2.jpg
    heres my old laser if anyone cares: http://www.youtube.com/bixin7

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. Nice car! Welcome to the community.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

hotness!! I was looking at that car just last week! Take care of it. ;)

and welcome to the community :wavey:

4. Protocol

Protocol Member

Parts... money, buy it now, money, upgrade, install -- Enjoy.

Welcome :wavey:

5. atlxkevinx

atlxkevinx Member

Nice car! Welcome! :)

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Welcome to our community :wavey:

7. Tray@Forged

Tray@Forged Member

Welcome to the site! Do you have any plans for her?

8. Welcome! Nice ride! The hubby used to have a 92 Laser RS. We sold/traded to undrgrndr15 on here. I think he's got some plans for it. :D

9. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

welcome...very nice ride!

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Nice car! Did they ever fix the issues with the '09 motors blowing up?

11. Protocol

Protocol Member

Yeah. The stock MY2010 runs a bit richer. '08 and 09' ringlands where being replaced like panties on prom night with stock tunes. Wish I could give you stock pre-failure AFR's, but I don't know them. I know it was stupidly lean. Of course if you had an '08 or '09 tuned, you were ok... LOL, go figure. Some of the pro tuners here know how bad it was, maybe they can chime in and let us all know.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  12. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

13. Protocol

Protocol Member

True, but the issue(s) mainly pertain to people running hard on the stock tune.

Get a Cobb AP or visit a tuner. Either will make a world of difference over the stock tune! Stage 1 even is like a totally different experience.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

welcome!

15. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

i take it decently easy with it at the moment, but it had a previous owner and 3090 miles before i picked it up. Should i assume damage has been done? and how badly does it void the warranty if it's tuned

16. Protocol

Protocol Member

Oh no... Not by any means. You'd definitely know it if any damage was done. You'd have to run it pretty hard also. You get a lot of nubs buying the car and tracking it the next weekend, or doing bolt-ons withn no EM or tuning what-so-ever which isn't such a great idea.

There are a lot more qualified people on these forums to answer this question versus me, but my stab at it would be that where the failure occurs is at higher temperatures, higher advanced timings that can occur from something as simple as a high-flow air filter.

You could do a compression leak down test to see, but really I would think you are fine. If oil consumption is in check, I wouldn't worry at all, and even I am a bit paranoid sometimes about random things. I'd suspect that if you had a problem, you'd see blue smoke at startup, have high(er) oil consumption rates and your IC would be slap full of oil. I'm talking where you can pour it out full, not the small amount that is natively going to get in there.

Talk to Doug or Cicio at TopSpeed. They'll get that stock tune fixed. As far as factory warranty with a protune... I'm pretty sure that's going to go bye-bye. A straight Cobb AP with any of the OTS maps can be entirely uninstalled with the flash counter checksum replaced back to factory flash count when visiting the stealership. That's what I do (did). Uninstall takes 5 minutes. Reinstall takes the same. Let the ECU go through re-learn for a few heat cycles after the de-flash/re-flash and you are back in business. I would highly recommend at least the AccessPort.

If anyone spots any information that is inaccurate or doesn't sound right, please post corrections!

P.S.: I saw this car at SoK when I went to buy a canister of touch-up paint a bit back! It was inside the showroom right?

17. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

it was sitting right out front outside of the showroom when i first went in.

curiosity getting the best of me, i spent a long time just wading through post after post on the issue, narrowing this one down to what seems to be an issue not related to it running lean.

theres literally over a hundred pages of posts on NASIOC forums with different information about the 07/08-08/08 built STi's and none of them mention the fuel as the issue. i see the posts about earlier wrx's with fuel issue but this one in particular seems to be related to a change in what material was used for bearings or something else in that area involving premature wearing down. so i'll just wait this one out.

as for the tuning...it's rough because i would love to go that route, but it's only got 3000miles on it, and the warranty is good for 100,000k on the powertrain. i'm not saying i won't swap some parts by 30k miles, but the stock form is pretty damn enjoyable if you just came from a 2002 s10 with 112k miles (even if it was a sport suspension).

18. Protocol

Protocol Member

Hmm, some of the "pro" guys should see this post soon and be able to shed some trustworthy information on the topic!

The AP can be entirely uninstalled though, and is undetectable by the stealership (when it is uninstalled). Extremely straight forward and entirely plug and play. If you like the car now, you'd love it even more at Cobb AP Stage 1. Safer than the stock tune for sure. Even if you don't want to get protuned (for very valid reasons... totally understandable), the Cobb AP is the way to go.

19. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Welcome to the site!

20. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

so a little more research, and i'm at the point where i believe no STi's had this engine problem..so hopefully a little premature worrying. trying to remember i'm new to the subaru line and i just have to take my time. love getting into the technical details of things.

by the way, thanks for all the welcomes, won't be able to make it out this tuesday although its the closest get together on the list to me. hope to be out in april though.

21. FACE

FACE Active Member

Welcome to the boards! Nice car choice!

22. steeleWRX

steeleWRX New Member

i like that color

23. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think he's been back since...

24. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

you scared him away :unamused:

25. STillGruven

STillGruven Member

Welcome - Nice car.

I added the Cobb AP to my 04. Big difference even at stage 1. I know the 04 is a different case than the later cars. Still the Cobb should be a safe and good upgrade for yours.