Leh Keen to drive TopSpeed's GT2 in OneLap of America

Discussion in 'Vendor Chat' started by Cicio@TopSpeed, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

2. First 9 Cars on the wet skid

These are in entry number order, not place

#1 GTR .962
    #2 ZR1 .788
    #3 US .853
    #4 GTR .911
    #5 ZO6 .811
    #6 STI .775
    #7 F430 .769
    #8 GT3 .845
    #9 997 .856

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is that on par to what you guys thought or lower than hoped?

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The skid pad events are throw away events, they mean almost nothing. Points wise they count but eight doesn't put them that far down. Leh has got a good shoot at first tomorrow at RA. He is familar with the track and the porsche should be quick there. If memory serves me correctly thats where Ron Adee has hit close to 200mph in the past

5. Here is the update from Leh...

Off to a medium start.. We finished 8th in the skid pad today… top 10 is good.. esp for a car with a setup like ours… the 2 HOTROD Vettes with Onelap veterans in them finished 15th and 29th…. the only prob is the 2 GTRs finished 1 and 2…. Damn those GTRs.. they have no weakness…

I forgot how tough this event is.. we drove from Southbend straight into rush hour traffic in Chicago.. and then into a Tornado Warning storm right above… So the first day has already been semi eventfull….

Tom it really starts with Road America.. we all are interested to see what everyone has.. There is 5 strong cars.. 2 vettes. 2 GTRs and us…..

I will update after the event today.

-Leh

Here are a few pictures he sent me at 2am :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. I am so excited and so nervous about Road America....Starts in 30min

7. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

When did Motor Trend become a "sponsor"? I thought this was a C&D event?

8. GT-R owned bitches!!!!!

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Details!

10. Here are the results of the first session at Road America. Punked the GT-R by almost 3 seconds :D

[​IMG]

11. slowwrx

The Top 5 has some good drivers in it, looks like they were 5 seconds in front of the Forged GTR

12. That we were! Second session is going on now! I will update as soon as I have official results.

Off the record...we might have just DOMINATED the second session too ;)

13. slowwrx

Off the record yeah I think thats the case

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

*Chants* Kill kill kill kill kill kill */chant*

Making power, NOT excuses. Or should I say Making Results, NOT excuses.

15. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

16. Thanks BrianGT

Yes we did...Go Faster baby!! :)

Well after today we are very excited. After a few small changes to the car Leh says its feeling very good. We still have a few things to sort out to make her really fast, but she seems to be doing pretty well aside from that. I am sure Leh and Doug will have updates when they hit the hotel tonight, but for now here are the final results for the day.
    Tune in tomorrow as we try to take the lead from the GT-Rs!

Road America Session#1 Results

Sat May 01 15:33:54 2010

Road America #1 - Time Trial - Results sorted by position Page 1
    Pos Car # Vehicle Class Time Points

1 3 Porsche GT2 SSGT1 BB 7:49.824 340
    Douglas Wilks, Leh Keen
    2 1 Nissan GT-R SSGT1 BB 7:52.457 335
    William Taylor, Steven Rankins, Jon Krolewicz
    3 25 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette SSGT1 BB 7:55.226 330
    Dan Corcoran, Kyle Corcoran
    4 4 Nissan GT-R SSGT1 BB 7:55.987 325
    Catesby Jones, Jose Collado
    5 5 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT1 BB 7:58.602 320
    Jeremy Herzberg, Danny Popp, Todd Rumpke
    6 2 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT1 BB 8:02.443 315
    Ronald Adee, Patrick Adee
    7 39 BMW 325is SSGT2 SB 8:15.133 310
    Anthony Magagnoli, Kevin Kreisa
    8 9 Porsche 997 Turbo SSGT1 BB 8:16.969 305
    Rene von Richthofen, Hugh D. Bate
    9 6 Subaru WRX STI MidPri Sed 8:18.388 300
    Michael Lattos, Erik Van Cleef
    10 21 BMW E90 M3 Luxury Sed 8:33.060 295
    Dan Schaut, Ben Schaut, Nicholas Schaut

Road America Session#2 Results

Sat May 01 15:33:54 2010

Road America #2 - Time Trial - Results sorted by position Page 1
    Pos Car # Vehicle Class Time Points

1 3 Porsche GT2 SSGT1 BB 4:56.563 340
    Douglas Wilks, Leh Keen
    2 4 Nissan GT-R SSGT1 BB 4:59.720 335
    Catesby Jones, Jose Collado
    3 5 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT1 BB 5:00.032 330
    Jeremy Herzberg, Danny Popp, Todd Rumpke
    4 25 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette SSGT1 BB 5:04.618 325
    Dan Corcoran, Kyle Corcoran
    5 1 Nissan GT-R SSGT1 BB 5:05.702 320
    William Taylor, Steven Rankins, Jon Krolewicz
    6 2 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT1 BB 5:06.675 315
    Ronald Adee, Patrick Adee
    7 39 BMW 325is SSGT2 SB 5:16.681 310
    Anthony Magagnoli, Kevin Kreisa
    8 9 Porsche 997 Turbo SSGT1 BB 5:24.060 305
    Rene von Richthofen, Hugh D. Bate
    9 8 Porsche 911 GT3 RS SSGT1 BB 5:24.664 300
    Geoffrey Bond,
    10 15 Mitsubishi Evolution X MidPri Sed 5:28.305 295
    Chris Wirth, Sean Caron

17. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

VERY impressive guys!! Best of luck and looking foward to the next event

18. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I am uploading some video's now. They should be live tonight on our Topspeedsales youtube page. However I would wait till the morning as it always takes them a bit longer to convert to the HD quality.

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

lol @ 1.24 - he's so fast the cupholder comes flying out

great job guys, keep it up

20. b reel

b reel Active Member

I just hope the tires last

21. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

then hahahah @ 5.00, woops, that's out?

22. slowwrx

LOL, in 2007 he drove the GSC Supra in the last 3 events on corded tires

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

I hope Doug left a little wiggle room in the tune and setup, if Leh is pulling those lap time differences now, I hope the competition can't pull something out of their ass in playing the game of catch up.

24. slowwrx

LOL he put 3 seconds on them at Road America....which I think Leh has never been to. They don't have anything they could pull out to cover that gap...

Oh Rankins in the OLOA GTR is out, the forged car is still in but they are getting worked by Leh so they probably don't have a chance.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

But you know as well as I the two theories of racing in stages like this, one is to gain such a large margin on the front half and then cruise to a nice finish, and second is to cruise the first half and let attrition take out competitors then have a crushing run on the last couple of legs. Kind of like watching Lance cruise the peleton then crush his competition in the time trials and climbs. Either way this should be an eventful OLOA, I'm just curious if those GTR transmissions are going to be able to take the abuse.

26. slowwrx

Judging by the video they posted Leh isn't in Kill mode yet, I'm sure he has some more time he can pull out of the car. Plus I think he has been to every track on the list except the drag strip and maybe NJMP.

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

So Steven is out of the run already?

28. slowwrx

Yeah they killed a motor....

29. slowwrx

They just won both events at Mid America

Awesome track, I have lots of bad memories from there. if we had finished where we should have there in 2007 we would have finished 5th over all cost us 180 points.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  30. b reel

b reel Active Member

So let the head shaving begin!

31. Hey guys, yeah we are very very happy with how today went as well. We finished first both sessions by 5 seconds the first race and 4 the second. There are several tracks that Leh has never been to on this event, and Road America is one of them. Yesterday was his first time running that track. :)

Just think what he could have done if he would have gone and run the tracks before the race like the competition did :)

Between setup, tune, and driver we are feeling very good. breel is right its certainly not over tell the lady sings. We have a drag race coming up that we may lose some points on. The ZR1 and Z06 are going to be very fast as well as the GTR. The GTR will most likely dominate the bracket racing I would imagine.

Lets also not forget that even though we are winning we just now edged the Forged built GTR out on the points since they did so well on the wet skid.

Its still an exciting event....i'm on the edge of my seat for sure.

32. slowwrx

Summary: Even though they are barely winning they are still kicking everyones ass

33. Yes...yes we are :)

Leh is doing a great job, and according to him the car is FAST. For street tires its simply amazing what our team has done with the setup on that car in such short time. One of the owners of Autometrics was with us at Roebling and said "wow..thats probably the fastest street tire car I have ever seen here.....Doug, can you tune our cup cars :) "

I have to say I am so proud to be working with Doug and Adam. They have a caliber of craftsmanship and innovation that I have never seen before. I know most of you don't know my history, but I have been around the block a time or two when it comes to cars, and I have to say these guys are just plain amazing at what they do!

Go Team TopSpeed

34. Thanks Ken, that means alot.

35. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

LOL, you call those Michelin Rain Tires Street Tires? :)

36. slowwrx

They are on real street tires for this event. Michelin Pilots IIRC. You have to buy them from Tire Rack and they are stamped so there is no cheating.

37. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Ahhh...I thought those were the Michelin Rain Tires they had in the shop:)

38. slowwrx

The ones sitting in the corner are Michelin Rains these are different tires

39. just wanted to correct myself. just got word from Leh that he actually has a total of three laps previous experience on Road America in the 08 OLA.

My bad.

40. oh and Eddie, if we ran those rains they would be toast the second event. not so great for longevity :)

41. KINGLEH

KINGLEH Member

And we prob would have won the wet skid!!!!!

42. slowwrx

You just suck at driving in circles...its cool

43. ha! Very true about the wet skid. that's funny I didn't even think about that.

44. b reel

b reel Active Member

Lets hope we don't hear Leh Keen and Hendrick in the same sentence anytime soon.

45. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Lets see... just got to the hotel so I will try and answer some questions.

1. Tires are looking great... while Leh has been known for doing crazy burnouts and drifting around during onelap that isn't happening now since we actually have a chance at winning.

2. Setup has come a long way since our one test day. We have the back end of the car now working flawlessly putting power down early... the front end still needs some work which would should have in check by the end of onelap... making us yet even faster.

As for the tune... I actually have it turned way way down right now. Just like I did with all the time attack stuff... why turn it up unless you need it. In onelap a win is a win and it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile.. (lol) If by the last couple days somehow the other cars get faster we will be able to match their speed and them some.

3. Matt your right.. we are not running ten tenths... why do so when your next faster competitor is 2 seconds a lap slower.

In the end, its always the unknown that bites someone in the butt during onelap. Things you would never expect... and honestly its way way too early in the week for anything to be set in stone.

Take care guys... I am going to get some new video uploaded.

46. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Forgot to add... right now we are first in class and first overall since tied overall points go to class points for tie breakers.... so TS FTMFW..