Clutch reccommendations for my build

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by b reel, May 13, 2010.

1. b reel

b reel Active Member

So this morning I'm looking at the gaping hole where my motor use to be and see some metal shavings in the bell housing. Was hoping that my throw-out bearing had given up the ghost and after pulling my pressure plate and clutch off the flywheel, that wasn't the case. Seems that my pilot bearing committed suicide to the point that the ball bearings had embedded themselves into the clutch material and mauled three very distinct grooves into my pressure plate. All this and never had any slipping just a lot of noise, parked it when the noise went away which was the plan regardless.

Now with a 2.5ish hybrid, a 5-spd dog box behind it and looking at maybe 5whp, what clutch and pressure plate would you guys go with? Don't waste your time with typing twin disc as that's out of the question.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

ACT heavy duty street maybe? I am not sure how it would hold up at the strip with your dog box though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would get teh ACT Extreme duty PP and full face disk if they make the extreme PP for your build. That is what I have in my car and it is wonderful!

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

Started digging around after I posted, looking at going with South Bend. I've had good experience with them before. Just looking to see what other people are using

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I am/was running a southbend clutch on my car.

Its an 8 puck feramic clutch and drives so much nicer than a 6 puck. Never really got to beat on it at the strip though and it looks like I never will.

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you had me at gaping hole, cupcake

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's not pretty being that both inner CV boots had just recently shit all over the engine bay.

Mike, the clutch disc was a South Bend, didn't realize they had that many options

nicad, WTF?

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

got excited, then lost interest

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Good opportunity to foam it up and clean it out :)

10. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

hahaha thread saved

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

A thorough cleaning is in store followed by some detail work. We'll see what Ghost may suggest this weekend.

12. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

:rofl: epic

13. Trey

Trey Active Member

I had the ACT SB4-HDSS - Heavy Duty with Street Disc. It worked perfect with the OEM turbo and bolt-ons, 35% pedal increase.

No need for anything else IMO, makes the pedal too stiff for a DD.

14. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

Ill make you an awesome deal on an extra twin disk I've got

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

sure throw it there, how much?