Nissan Xterra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bug-Rex, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Does anyone here know anything about the Nissan Xterras? Specifically the second-generation supercharged model.

I am looking at picking one up and wanted to see if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They are decent but don't expect it to be fast with a supercharger on it. Also there are sometimes issues with the timing belt guides getting worn down to the metal on those motors from research.

I myself have been looking at them hard for the wife. We want something that sized with towing capabilities.

3. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

i would get an older toyota 4runner instead

4. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Much appreciated Cool!

I'm not expecting it to be fast. Just curious as to whether the supercharged version has any problems the NA version does not.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The NA would be much more reliable....the Nismo trucks around here were problematic.

6. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Anything particular you saw as a problem on the trucks? Anything I should specifically ask to check out?

Thanks for the help again too.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Same timing chain stuff. I said belt but meant chain. Dunno why Nissan used plastic guides that has a metal chain rubbing against it!

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Everyone else does the same thing. Nylon and mixed plastics work better than metal guides, are cheaper, lighter and less expensive not to mention last longer. AND they are quieter.

If people would CHANGE THEIR OIL properly they would not have issues, just like all of those 2000~2004 EZ30D's that have chain rattle on start up...CHANGE YOUR FUCKING OIL FUCKTARD.

That being said...

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

These trucks were all serviced at the correct intervals. The mechanic at the Nissan dealership told me and is a good friend. There is a TSB on them I believe. I think the newer models > 2007 iirc has revised guides that are made better.

10. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

What is a TSB? Something-Service-Bulletin?

I'll tell the Nissan tech that looks at the one I am interested in to look at the timing chain and related components.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

NTB07-042
    July 17, 2007

VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE
    FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA

APPLIED VEHICLEs:
    2004-2007 Maxima (A34)
    2004-2007 Quest (V42)
    2004-2006 Altima (L31) VQ35 engine ONLY
    2005-2007 Pathfinder (R51)
    2005-2007 Xterra (N50)
    2005-2007 Frontier (D40) VQ40 engine ONLY

Some talk of the issue.....
    http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/timing-chain-problem-15184/

13. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Thanks Cool!

If the one I will be looking at buzzes, hopefully the Eaton supercharger will drown in out...? :rofl:

Kidding.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL. It'll be very audible. More so than the supercharger!

15. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Thanks again for all the help. You guys seem to know just about everything about anything.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Called lots of research and reading ;)

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

The only thing I know is that I don't like driving them. They feel like they'll roll over even when cruising around a parking lot. :rofl:

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Mmm, Nissan.

My 2007 Versa required:
    New transmission at 56k miles.
    New engine at 59k miles.
    New steering rack at 61k miles.

Not to mention all the smaller stuff.

Never buying Nissan again.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Same experience as Moose here. New crank shaft sensor @ 40k. new radiator @ 60k
    timing chain @ 80.

My sisters 2005 altima/

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

i agree 100%

the one i drove, rode like shit. i would HIGHLY recommend a test drive before buying one.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well to add to what others said here. My parents have owned SEVERAL. I own one. 1989 Nissan truck.....421,000 original miles. Still running.
    2005 Nissan Frontier......no issues
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder 340,000 until timing belt snapped no issues up to then
    1999 Nissan Pathfinder 200,000 still running strong

They been very good in our family.

22. nygiant

nygiant Member

had a 2004 maxima...after my time with that car, i shall never buy a nissan again.
    at least once a week, the damn thing would not start in the morning to go to work. i had it towed about 4-5 times a month and befuddled every mechanic that looked at it.