Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

BlackBerry? Easy to use?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Actually, all of my users prefer the BB's over all the phones on the market for work purposes. They just work and are reliable. I personally dont like them but many users that are not very tech savy love them.

3. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Blackberry is slowing going the way of Motorola and Nokia....more and more marginalized. Apple, in just a year or two, went from zero to 28% marketshare in the enterprise space that is dominated by Crackberry.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

:eek: The side click wheel was the best. They should have never removed it!

The end all be all is that BlackBerry's don't break, have had push email for years, etc. They may not be trendy-schmendy like your iPhone; however, the BB is ruthlessly efficient at what it does.

5. tolnep

tolnep Member

android is approaching parity with iphone. adroid is open. runs on more than one network (ATT sucks, verizon has better coverage and adroid runs on other networks too). before iphone4 came out many rated HTC incredible having parity with iphone3. droid X coming out soon has gotten good reviews. then you have the EVO etc.

iphone, you cant replace the battery.

crakberry rules the enterprise. and will unless and until ms comes out with a strong smartphone OS. and even then it will take time.

my prediction is android will become the windows of smartphones. iphone will become the imac of smartphones.

and perhaps eventually all the enterprise folks will carry windows 4 or 5 smartphones which will run corporate websites, databases, visio, outlook, exchange servers and your car....

6. integroid

I would love to see this....the enterprise frowns on Iphones.

Now a tuner is trying to give us advice on smartphones? That would like a snowboarding used car salesman giving a tuner advice on how to tune.

7. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had to be a network geek or industry guru to give an OPINION on a smartphone. :cool:

IT managers have already warmed up to the iPhone on their network. Kinda helps when many senior execs are demanding that their iphones be used with their corp network. Hence the reason the iphone went from zero to nearly 1/3 of the corporate IT market.

Blackberry is scared to death of iPhone.

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I didnt mean it in a -- mean -- way at all :)
    My bad :)

9. Alex

Unfortunately because a CEO demands something "IT related" does not mean it is a good choice...at all. I have not read any recent case studies on RIM or Apple but I find it hard believe that RIM is scared of them. They may view Apple's iPhone as a complementary product (e.g. corporate user carries BB for work and iPhone for other), but as a substitute? I am not so sure. Here's how I view the Rim/Apple debate: The market share RIM controls is not for the people who use apps that sound like light sabers or show you where your friends are. Their industry is the one that disallows camera phones, shitty ringtones of your dog barking to jingle bells and OSs that are fragile.

10. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Apple has been working really hard to make the iPhone more suitable for corporate networks. Over the years, they added MS Exchange server support, and better security features. They are taking enterprise share from Blackberry, so they must be doing something right. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, but my feeling is that unless Blackberry reinvents itself for the future, it's on a slow downhill path....think Nextel phones and push to talk.

11. integroid

Wirelessly posted

Sorry man, I have to disagree. Apple has always said their phones were not meant for the enterprise. RIM will not go away anytime soon. There are to many higher UPS that are too stubborn to change. Plus they have a cult following like Apple. I mean the 4g iPhone was already behind when released but still had massive lines on day of release.

12. integroid

Wirelessly posted

Double post

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  13. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

This weekend's Wall Street Journal had an interesting article on RIMM. I would have linked you instead of copy/paste but you need a subscription to view it.

"I'M WORRIED ABOUT Research in Motion.

Almost since the day Apple (ticker: AAPL) launched the first iPhone, skeptics on Research In Motion (RIMM) asserted it was doomed—that the better user experience offered by Apple eventually would take a toll on demand for RIMM's BlackBerry phones. The Crackberry crowd generally shot back that RIMM has a huge asset that Apple lacks—a close and longstanding relationship with corporate information-technology departments. That's true to this day. Here at Dow Jones, for instance, the official phone remains the BlackBerry, which is why I keep toting a Bold. RIMM supporters also note that a big group of e-mail-centric users—and I count myself among them—like having a physical keyboard and aren't especially comfortable with typing on glass.

But there are signs of change in the air, and most aren't so good for RIMM. Last week, it disclosed results for its fiscal first quarter, ended May 29, and the report was decidedly mixed. On the one hand, earnings per share beat the Street consensus as gross margins exceeded expectations, thanks to lower-than-expected costs. But revenue was a shade below the low end of the company's guidance. Unit shipments were at the very low end of the company's previous forecast—and so were subscriber additions.

And the outlook for the fiscal second quarter shows the same pattern: The profit outlook beat Wall Street expectations, but the revenue forecast was only in line, although earnings are expected to get a boost from margins above Street forecasts. Trying to generate some enthusiasm, RIMM noted on a post-earnings conference call that it expects to ship two significant new phones this quarter, and also promised that BlackBerry 6, the new version of its operating-system software, will be shipping by the end of September.

False Prophet: Strong software profits blessed Oracle. Still, the Nasdaq finished the week at 2,223, off 3.7%. Some investors even seemed to be worried about Apple.
    But on the very day last week when RIMM issued the earnings report, people were lining up by the hundreds at Apple stores around the country to pick up the new iPhone 4. In some places people waited in line for hours, when they could easily have ordered the phone online. A day earlier, by the way, Verizon Wireless unveiled the new Motorola (MOT) Droid X, a nifty smartphone based on Google's (GOOG) Android OS that comes with a huge 4.3-inch screen and an impressive eight-megapixel camera.

Both the iPhone 4 and the Droid X make my trusty Bold look pitiful in comparison. And therein lie deep risks for RIMM. Citigroup analyst Jim Suva warned in a research note last week that "the clock is ticking" on RIMM's stranglehold on business users. An increasing number of companies are adopting a BYOD—bring your own device—strategy, combined with "sandboxing," allowing users to run secure corporate software on privately owned phones. That transfers the buying decision from your IT manager right over to you.

The company is suffering from the transformation of the mobile-phone business into a far more competitive market, where consumer branding means more than a cozy relationship with IT managers. As I detailed in my column last week, Nokia (NOK) seems completely befuddled about how to deal with this brave new world, and it turns out RIMM faces many of the same problems. To hold its own against Android and Apple phones, RIMM must find a way to generate its own legion of fans in the consumer market, among buyers who are more focused on apps and the Web than on e-mail. Co-CEO Jim Balsillie told investors on the company's post-earnings conference call last week that the company has some pretty exciting stuff in the works, but he didn't provide a lot of details. RIMM bulls better hope so, or the slide that last week drove RIMM down to a new 52-week low will inevitably continue."

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

All of our Executives have iPhones yet they are not approved devices for the 40,000+ associates at my company. RIM is our corporate standard because it is more secure per our IT security team. The Director of IT security also has an iPhone and Macbook. He doesn't want the iPhone in the hands of the average users. Go figure. ;)

15. integroid

Same here with what Trey said. All of our execs have their personally Iphones as well but will not approve them for business use. Our security group just approved Android 2.1 on Friday so I am sure we will get a few phones dropped in the toilet this week. I am still pretty positive that 90% of our current BB users would stay with BB because they are old school and dont want to change.

16. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Trey...get on this. My bb is a POS...

17. integroid

This is a funny story from over the weekend I had with a friend that is a die hard BB user. He was txt'ing me wanting updates on the world cup game. My auto spell sent him a few garbage words that didnt make sense. He said if I would of had a BB that I wouldnt have these spelling issues. My reply was if he would of had an Android phone he wouldnt have to txt me to get updates and could watch it live on his phone:)

18. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

I just picked up a Back Flip and while it may not be the hottest Android phone on the market its pretty freaking cool..

19. Trey

Trey Active Member

I already have a VZW Incredible Droid with 2.1. I bug our "cell guy" everyday to get it to sync with Exchange as he is the one who gave it to me. They can already do it in Brookfield since they have the server needed to allow Windows and Android devices to connect with Exchange, Norcross doesn't have one....yet.

20. Trey

Trey Active Member

WIN! lol!!

21. integroid

I thought it was built in pretty much all supported versions of Exchange? Does your company not operate in one big domain?

22. Alex

Interesting article Sharif, I'll have to check it out over on WSJ. Thanks :)

23. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

nope...

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

WSJ might seem like a credible source, but to me, they are spewing shit out of their proverbial mouths like it's nothing...Every time I hear/read something about the iphone coming to Verizon NEXT month, or by the end of the year, it's started by them....I really don't foresee Apple breaking their contract with at&t just yet. If anything, I'm willing to bet they will wait until 2012 when it expires and either renew exclusivity, or go with a standard other GSM network such as t-mobile.

25. integroid

I also read a report comparing the fight on cell phones (Apple vs. Android) like back when Apple and MS were trying to corner the home computer market. It was saying how Apple lost that battle then and they are about to lose the battle on the Cell Phone market too. You can't really believe on everything you read. They are all looking into a crystal ball and I just take it as good reading.

26. Trey

Trey Active Member

Android and iPhone have Exchange built in but to get access to our exchange server, behind the firewall, requires a dedicated server to authenticate the user devices.

Nope, we used to before our aquisition. Welcome to the federated business model FTMFL!!! :argue:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  27. Trey

Trey Active Member

The iPhone will come to an LTE Verizon network. No reason to waste the time for a CDMA only radio. Also, that front facing camera on the 4G iPhone will operate on the LTE network, not just WiFI like it does today with sucky AT&T.

28. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

This is an interesting debate. We are predominantly BB users at work, but we are increasingly using web based applications in our work that just aren't friendly to use on a blackberry. Browsing on the BB is painful, the web interface is archaic and trying to manage an event from the field using a BB just isn't practical right now. The Storm was a halfhearted attempt at best. I still think RIM could produce a touch screen based device which would be comparable to an android/apple device, but if they continue to believe that their enterprise email support will hold people to them for the long term, then RIM will go the way of the Dodo sooner rather than later.

29. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the iphone 3g faked hardware encryption ( told exchange that it would do the previous but it really couldnt) that was the real issue. How could IT admins trust a company that deliberately made its phones LIE? The 3gs/4 support hardware encryption.

BB started out as a work only tool.. It was cool so IT admins took them home and promoted them-- they were soon adopted as a home use device.

Apple is 'winning' the battle the other way around.. Its cool for home and it has JUST enough to make it business compliant. They wont loose.

30. Trey

Trey Active Member

BlackBerry's OS 6 uses a new web interface from a company RIM aquired so it could compete. It should be out soon.

Check it out: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/04/20/blackberry-os-6-0-screenshots-details/

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

32. Matt

but will they lose?

answer: yes!

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

as much as i HATE apple.( and yes, i do hate them).. You cant deny they sell products well. Steve's turds would sell for 600 a pounds.

34. integroid

I still think Android will take over the cell phone market and most of Apple's share. I mean the 4G Iphone specs are already behind and we know how often they release new phones. There is a new bigger and better android phone released every other week it seems. Like I have always said, I am just looking into a crystal ball but I dont think Apple can keep up just like back in the 80's when Apple lost to MS.

35. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Android is just an OS, iPhone is a device. You can't compare the two. Yes, Android will eventually take over market share, but only because they are saturating the market. The iPhone is still the most popular device on the market, and will continue to be for a long time.

36. integroid

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

While there are phones better and stronger then the iphone fact is fact. The iPhone 4g has already sold nearly 2 million units in a matter of days.

No android device has sold like this new iPhone has.

38. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

which iphone again? 4? or 4g?

also, look into their radio problems. the phones are broken.

39. Matt

[​IMG]

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

As i said they could just sell the SHELL of the phone and it would still sell. People know about the problems and STILL bought 1.7 MILLION in 3 days.

41. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

because people are FUCKING MORONS.

42. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

43. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Still Apple has made a TON of money. That in my book is NOT MORONIC. It's good business because they are making money. I don't agree with many things on it but as a business person if something works and is making you boatloads of money then why not do it?

In my honest opinion you guys are the MORONIC idiots that are complaining about it. If you don't like it don't buy it. It's really that simple.

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And before Shiring chimes in that I'm an iPhone user........I'm using iPhone because the Droid or any of the other good phones are not offered on AT&T. Verizon services in this area SUCKS and is spotty as crap.

Plus my employer is AT&T distrubutor which = CHEAP phone service for me and the wife. Both of our unlimited plans are cheaper than what you guys pay for a standard plan bc of employee discounts ;)

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

missed the point by a mile

making money is not moronic. buying products that are known to be broken just so you can fit in with a crowd IS. why spend more money for a known inferior product just for conspicious consumption

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the group think involved with the rampant consumerism - it's disgusting to me.

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree nicad. Which is why I didn't upgrade my iPhone.

47. integroid

That is funny...it is the exact opposite for me. My wife gets 20% off Sprint service and have never had good luck with ATT with personal and business use so that is why I went with an Android phone.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Different company ;) My phone bill total is $45. The rest is paid by my company.

49. integroid

They could put out a brick and call it an iphone and they would still sell 2 million of them. I hear Walgreens is selling them now too. Can I have the one with the bigger gb's?

50. integroid

What? I was just commenting that I am in the exact opposite situation as you. If my bill for my wife and I were only $45 a month, I would be sporting an iphone too. I hear it has wifis.