Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Funny how all these phones suck out the box yet everyone says it's okay because the hackers and such will iron it out. However it's not the same thought flow as the iphone.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Umm...its the exact same as the iphone. I had to jailbrake my iphone to get it to do half of what it should/could do

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's what I'm saying. :eek: Everyone bashes it without even thinking of what it can/could do. Oh well it does what I need it to do however I do wish some of these better Andriods would come over to the AT&T market when my contract runs out.

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

My Inc is rock solid and does everything I need, without rooting (jailbreaking) it.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

That is my opinion as well. If you have to hack the phone to make it work properly, it is not as great as what people are making it sound.

The only thing Jailbreaking my iPhone would do is allow me to customize the Text Message Tone with my own personal rings, which when I jailbroke my first iPhone, didn't really work well. Aside from that, it would allow me to send and receive MMS, which was never supposed to be a feature of the iPhone 2G. All other abilities that come from jailbreaking are just access to Cydia for free apps.

Jailbreaking the iPhone is not necessary in any way. The capabilities that are unlocked are minimal, unless you are using the Original iPhone like me, which is now 3 years old.

New iPhones out of the box can do MMS, Video, etc..., so the only thing you are unlocking are the customizable message tones, and Cydia.

Then why did you Root it, and Overclock it?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

My Evo is rock solid and dont see the need for me to hack it or root it. Best phone I have used to date and I have used dozens of phones in the last year.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

lol wut?

8. Matt

Also, I don't think they suck out of the box. I think Android is a very progressive OS. :)

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL! Your WRX is nice and good out the box. Why did you mod it?

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sbsettings, lock screen notifications, free tethering

should I go on?

with android 2.2, you really don't need to root it. it doesn't gain you much. it "works properly" just fine right out of the box. it's just that android users are usually more savvy and like to play with their phones (anecdotal observations)

11. integroid

I have to agree 100%. The people I have at work that use iphones are usually not your tech savvy users.....same goes with the mac users. They are more worried about syle than function. Then again, I do see tech savvy iphone users jailbreak their phones right out of the box too.

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

They had to get the phone to the market and its exactly what they did. It was known early on that this piece of hardware would need (as I read it) android 2.2.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

:eek3:

It's not. Its' 100% VZW rom running android 2.1 perfectly IMO.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  15. Matt

as long as they're not jailbraking, right Brett?

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Just bought a samsung captivate!

17. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Any of the high end Driod phones have batteries that can last a full day/night of heavy usage without a recharge. One of the key reasons I like the Iphone is the battery life is off the charts with the 4.

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

Two options.....buy a bigger 3500 mAh battery (can't do that with an iPhone) that still fits in the Incredible 1750 mAh case or just adjust your screen timeout and brightness like I did. Mine lasts all day, no issues with the 1750 battery.

Battery: http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Battery-Incredible/dp/B003SNIRAG

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  19. integroid

My battery last all day long as long as I dont leave the wifi/4G/GPS on. I also keep a spare battery in my back pack just incase.

20. Matt

I've been using mine pretty heavily today...it's just now at 24% after pulling off the charger around 9:00am or so...haven't turned the wifi off all day either.

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

what phone do you have now Matt? My X should be here tomorrow...bye bye ATT. :)

22. Matt

still rocking the incredible....which I'll more than likely keep until LTE rolls out later this year.

23. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

have you rooted your incredible? I know your rooted your original droid..

24. Matt

I haven't yet....I was looking at the unrevoked rooting earlier. I have a brand new phone sitting next to me that I can root before I activate :rofl:

in fact, working on that meow. From what I understand, it takes all of 10 minutes and virtually nothing from me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  25. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

unrevoked rooting? haven't heard of that...guess it's time to do some googling.

so you now have 2 incredibles? or did you do a warranty claim like i did?

26. Matt

warranty claim.

27. Trey

Trey Active Member

What was the claim? My camera lens glass is loose from my kids dropping it all the time.

28. Matt

that's not a warranty claim, Trey....

the android mms program fails nearly every time I receive a picture message.

29. Matt

http://www.unrevoked.com

I've gotten the drivers to install, but nothing doing after that...this is frustrating to no end....and it's anything BUT painless...

:| :| :| :| :| :| :|

30. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I've been having problems receiving MMS messages. Usually takes 2-3 trys before I receive from some people, but others are fine.

I warranty claimed b/c my headphone jack would stop functioning if you bumped it. That phone also had GPS issues.

I rooted my new one OOTB and then used Titanium Backup to restore prior data. It was so nice.

31. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am still using an original iPhone 2G. I have Wifi and Bluetooth on all the time, and do not turn them off. My battery lasts a little over 24 hours.

I found that if I turn off Wifi or Bluetooth, for the next several days my battery will drain extremely quickly, like 4 hours, until I have cycled a couple times, then will go back to lasting a bit over 24 hours. Same thing when I turn BT or Wifi on. That is why I leave them both on all the time. After going through a couple of battery cycles, it seems to last just as long with them on as with them off.

Will be interesting to see how the iPhone 4 handles it when I get it.

32. techlord

techlord Active Member

Handle with care, don't forget your case!
    :rofl:

33. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

funny to root a palm you use the old nes "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"

34. Matt

turns out my computer was acting a fool...

brought it into work and it was rooted under 5 minutes using unrevoked.

awesome!

35. techlord

techlord Active Member

So I got my new Droid X today and this thing is BAD ASS!
    BUT my fucking head hurts...I have a lot to learn coming from a BB.

Oh, I can use my phone with NO signal bars!!!

36. Matt

:rofl:

do we need to have a sit down drinking Q&A?

37. techlord

techlord Active Member

yes yes we do!

38. techlord

techlord Active Member

well maybe I need to rethink this...Service at work is terrible. I could get att anywhere now I almost get it nowhere unless outside!
    what to do...

39. Matt

can you not use the phone at all? the thing about Verizon versus att is even though it's not showing signal, it's still gonna work. Unless you have a little x above the bars...then that's NO service.

40. Trey

Trey Active Member

If you are saying you can't get a signal inside the building, it technically could not be the phones fault.

Our building at work has steel rebar in the concrete and the windows are coated with a metallic tint. It's a faraday cage. No RF in or out so we have repeaters inside the building that extend the cell signal from an antenna on the roof throughout the building. Gotta pay big bucks to get it, or be a big customer. ;)

41. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

yep. signal here fluctuates constantly too when walking around the building.

so trey..when is my POS BB gonna get replaced with something android based? lol

42. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Is this a typo? It definitely could be the phone, especially if other phones from the same Carrier get signal in the same location.

43. Trey

Trey Active Member

No it's not a typo, did you read the rest of my post? Me thinks you didn't get what I was saying.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  44. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I read your post, and that could definitely be true. Based on what Techlord provided, it is too early to rule out the phone though.

45. techlord

techlord Active Member

Yes no service, well very spotty in 2 of the main buildings I frequent..all verizon users have problems in these buildings. ATT gets it all over even under ground BUT the "heed" has repeaters or whatever they are inside lockheed for their corporate BB users. So really not a fair comparison.

I like this phone so much I will probably just deal with it...no signal at my desk but I am never there.

46. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I get shitty signal inside my building at UPS... All those mainframes, PC's etc.. really reek havik. IDK though, guys with AT&T get more than me... So that kinda shakes my theory about interferance.

47. Matt

there's still interference due to different frequencies and wave lengths. at&t and verizon are different frequencies.

48. techlord

techlord Active Member

So I setup my mindspring email and I can receive but not reply or send any for that matter.
    Any ideas? I am thinking the auto setup got the outgoing server wrong but havn't checked as I have to charge her up...wore her out like a smokin' HOT cheap slut!

49. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

mindspring email?

really?

50. integroid

WOW, talk about a blast from the past.

GO through manual setup and correct the outgoing mail server address.