Replacement carpet?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Fafnir, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Fafnir

Fafnir Member

Hey guys - does anyone happen to know a place where I can get some replacement interior carpet for a 2006 WRX TR? I had about a gallon of to-be-recycled oil spill in the rear passenger floor area this morning.

I've cleaned it up as best as I could, and I'll pull the interior apart tonight, but I wanted to see if anyone had any leads in case this ends up being a total loss.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You may be stuck purchasing a new carpet from the dealership. No companies make aftermarket carpet for these cars for some reason.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

my body style has available carpet. :p

4. Fafnir

Fafnir Member

That's what I was afraid of. I've been having a hard time finding anything online other than this: http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=8961. $339 isn't out of the realm of price I was expecting, though it is high.

I'm wondering if there's a big difference between "WRX" carpet and "Impreza" carpet as far as structure and shape goes, because this: http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=8960 is a little cheaper at $299.

A call to SOG is in my future either way, it seems.

Any insight?

5. Alex

You could try car-part.com. But I have no idea what kind of condition you'd find carpet in.

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

call Brandon at Allpro subaru I am fairly certain he has something used.

7. Fafnir

Fafnir Member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the info.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

sti blue is the same as GM blue (back when GM owned subaru), not that it helps. but if you are replacing a small area and want to buy it by the roll it is about half as much to get the GM color, IIRC

9. Alex

I didnt think Subaru sold the roll, only the complete and molded floor pan?

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, i know. just saying for small patches and repairs go with the GM rolls

11. Alex

Ah gotcha :)

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

i.e. Jamey wrapped the back deck in my old WRX to match the STi carpet with GM carpet. perfect match

13. Fafnir

Fafnir Member

For what it's worth, I got it all cleaned up. The bottom of the carpet is (luckily) heavily plasticized, so the oil didn't seep through to the bare metal and wiring.

I ended up renting a carpet cleaner from Home Depot for a couple of nights, removed the passenger seat, and went to task. Took about 6 hours (split between two nights), but the oil came up. Just about all of it (to the point where none of the carpet felt oily).

There was still a lingering smell, so I did some research and found out about "Zero Odor" odor remover. It's expensive (about $14 for a 16oz. bottle at Bed, Bath, & Beyond), but it totally worked. Completely got rid of the smell after a spraydown and dry.

All in all, I came out of it spending less than $60. Way better than buying new carpet.

14. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Awesome. Glad to hear it went well. And we all know the saying, YGWYPF.
    Who knows what would've happened if you bought cheap odor remover. Lol.

15. Alex

Coffee grounds or baking soda also work very well in absorbing orders. My carpet is heavily stained, I had it out of the car this past weekend and honestly considered taking it to a detail shop to let them deal with it. The Subaru carpet is such a piece of shit and is impossible to vacuum. Mine is in great shape for its age, but I spilled oil in the rear pass a couple years back...and it is still there! :p