hypothetically speaking...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by milkmn42, Aug 9, 2010.

1. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

hypothetically speaking if i were to spend 1700 on a clutch from a well known shop off mcfarland and hwy 9 and they told me to go with a spec clutch because they know these guys personally if i ever had any problems with it. and then hypothetically the clutch went out after 4 months because it was faulty and clutch said they'd replace it upon inspection to make sure this stg 2 clutch wasnt abused by the stg 2 wrx it was in. But hypothetically speaking doesnt want to pay for the installation to put it back in and neither does this shop.

Hypothetically has anyone been through this? any suggestions or thoughts?

thanks,

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would never put in another SPEC Clutch in any of my cars....and the owner of SPEC was my roommate in college.

With that said, the warranty only covers the parts...not the labor. Either take out the clutch yourself or find someone else to take it out for you. It would be the same anywhere you went.

3. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

awesome...thanks.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

You can't really blame a shop for a part that the manufacturer says is faulty. And you definitely can't blame them for not wanting to do the labor for free. You should be contacting the manufacturer for them to pay the labor...

5. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

oh im not upset with the shop, its just that i was gonna go with a different clutch and this one was recommended by the shop. they said if i ever had any problems with the clutch that they know these guys personally and could get things done easily. but now they apologize and say that spec clutches have gone down the drain and they dont know whats wrong. It just sucks when you put faith in companies while forking out alot of money to have no real guarantees...or no one to really stand by their products. the shop told me to go with a act clutch and just sell the replacement if they send one. thats another 1100 in faith....

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Spec...never again

7. integroid

I have used ACT clutches for the past 18 years. Never had a problem with the dozen or so I have used. Makes me wonder why I even tried the SPEC clutches the 2-3 times that i did.

8. milkmn42

milkmn42 New Member

well maybe i just got a faulty one, but it sucks once you get burned once to put another one in. Im going into the army in Oct and i dont want to think whoevers driving my car while im overseas would have the 2nd clutch go out in 4 months for another $700 to install. Thanks for all the insight though..

9. I'm sure everyone on here hypothetically knows who you are talking about, so I have no problem with you naming names.

I am really sorry for the really crappy circumstance concerning your clutch. I honestly gave you the deepest labor discount I could justify. I do not feel its our responsibility to eat all of the labor to re-install the clutch since we didn't make the product. However I did recommend it which is why I offered a labor discount.

If you feel that we are not giving what we should then please call or come talk to me about it, and I will make it right in the best way we possibly can.

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

Get an ACT clutch and call it a day. ;)

11. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

To offer some other alternatives...

I'm running a custom Southbend (full face feramic/kevlar- drives nearly stock because it's full face but still rated to 500+ WTQ)- their reputation is pretty much golden in the VW/Audi community from whence I came and I stuck with them.

I've also read lots of good stuff about bullyclutch- they have a very interesting throwout bearing design in their stage 3 and above clutches.

All that being said, ACT has a bajillion customers and the vast majority are extremely pleased. In the case of the ACT, following the herd is probably a pretty sound decision.

Never had a Spec but their reputation precedes them in the online forums.

12. like what was said earlier... shouldn't the manufacturer be responsible for labor costs? thats how its worked for me in the past. Also I have an ACT stage 1 in my car I bought and installed from batlground for around 1000. Haven't had any problems with it in 30,000 miles. maybe something to check out

13. integroid

If you read the warranty it says they are 9only responsible for the parts and not any labor or costs of your car being down.