Obamas take another vacation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Weapon, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Nice to know the good ole president is taking another vacation this summer. How much vacation time has this joker taken since last February? 85 days? 90? Oh well. Guess by him being on vacation limits the damage he can do :wiggle:

P.S.
    Hey Scott! :wavey:

2. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I could have sworn we did this for the last president too.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/2506288,CST-NWS-obama18.article

Bush still has the record. I know this stat is from last month but even if Obama took every day off since then he would trail Bush by 30 days.

I seriously doubt that either one of the presidents really ever gets a day off so the stats are meaningless.

It sure would be nice if we could get all politicians to take a permenant vacation.

4. Weapon

i guess what bothers me is the difference in vacations. Bush would go work on a ranch for his vacations while the Obamas spend lavishly staying at five star hotels with trips to Maine, New York, Hawaii and Spain.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Remember weapon, its HIS money. doenst matter what he does with it.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

With a travel budget of only $100,000 a year, you'd think he'd have run out of funds by now. I guess he's dipping into his own 'salary' or something?

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I can have some serious fun with that much of a travel budget.

8. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Remember, BOTH of these presidents (and most if not all former presidents) have PLENTY of their own money before they even get into office. Even our first president was a wealthy land owning business man - he had the largest whiskey distillery in America at the time.

BTW, how much do you think it cost Bush to purchase that ranch of his. Last I read it was something like 1000+ acres, regardless, it is a large piece of property. You could buy a lot of lavish hotel stays for the cost of a ranch.

And remember it is free country, last I checked, who cares what he does with his money? I don't see you complaining about all the congressmen spending money on their boyfriends/pages/mistresses. Hey at least Obama is going with his family, not some tramp.

All this whining about Obama sounds a lot like the whiny-ass liberals I had to deal with in college. Only now its coming from conservatives. Looks like we just traded whiny left-wingers for whiny right-wingers.

9. Weapon

something tells me that we are footing the bill on some of his ventures

10. Weapon

plus i just dont like him and like bitching about it. :D

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.

Knoller, who has covered every president since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records on presidential travel, counts the following among President Obama’s "vacations" in 2009:

* A four-day holiday weekend in Chicago in February where the president played some basketball and treated First Lady Michelle Obama to a Valentine’s Day dinner date.
    * An eight-day stay with his family at a rented house on Martha’s Vineyard in August.
    * A trip out west to the U.S. states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona that combined both business and pleasure. The president held town hall meetings on health care during the trip. And he went fly fishing and took trips to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon with his wife and two daughters.
    * An 11-day stay in Hawaii where the president and his family celebrated Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Some of the president’s recent predecessors, however, have spent more days — either entirely or partially — away from the White House "on vacation" during their first year in office.

President Reagan, in 1981, spent all or part of 42 days away from the White House "on vacation" at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif, according to Knoller. President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, also spent three or four days around New Year’s Day each year in Palm Springs, Calif., at the home of philanthropist Walter Annenberg. (In 1993 the late Mr. Annenberg founded the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, which is FactCheck.org’s parent organization.)

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation’s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them — all or part of 69 days — came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller.

Bush’s father, President George H.W. Bush, spent less time "on vacation" during his first year than his son, but spent more days than President Obama. According to travel records provided to FactCheck.org by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the former president took six trips — spanning all or part of 40 days — to the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1989. The archivist at Bush’s presidential library told us she didn’t have a list of all vacations but did have the Kennebunkport visits.

But at least two recent presidents — by Knoller’s count — took less "vacation" time during their first year than President Obama — Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

According to Knoller, Carter spent just 19 days "on vacation" in 1977. Most of that time, Knoller says, the former president spent at his home in Plains, Ga. President Clinton took all or part of 174 days of vacation during his eight years as president — most of that "vacation" time was during the summer, according to Knoller. But Knoller says Clinton only took 21 "vacation" days during his first year.

It’s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips — all or part of 27 days — to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn’t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents’ "vacation" time. But for the sake of comparison, President George W. Bush, made more trips to that country residence than Obama. According to Knoller, Bush made 25 trips — a total of 78 days — to Camp David in 2001.

But no matter how much time a president actually spends away from the official residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Knoller says that the commander in chief is never really off the clock. "I have long held the view that a US president is never really on vacation," Knoller told FactCheck.org in an e-mail. "The job - and its awesome powers and responsibilities - is his wherever he is and whatever he’s doing."

Hi Kris!:wavey:

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Quoted for the truth. Except whereas most liberals back up their arguments with statistics and reason, conservatives back theirs up with emotion and religion.

Figured you might like this:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. Weapon

:keke:

15. BelvnAWD

I know, its easier to be ignorant than right..:rofl:
    Dusty working tomorrow?

16. jeb

jeb Member

Lawl at these topics on this forum, we're in god damn GA. What do you think the general opinion is going to be? Obama is a liberal activist Islam worshiper right?

17. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

plus doesn't he make like 600-700k a year as well?

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

uh, no. $400k annual salary. it was raised in 2001

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

the big issue with the president travelling/vacationing isnt how much he spends to do it. the big issue is how much has to be spent to take everyone who has to go with him, with him. the president doesnt have to pay to use AF1 for his own vacations, not to mention the SS agents, assistants, etc. that all travel on the govt's dime...

-brett

20. BelvnAWD

So you'd rather have a stressed, overworked, fatigued president making national security decisions? The president works EVERY SINGLE DAY of his term. Try to imagine that for a minute, no days off for four years. I think the bigger issue however is the fact that so many people complain about this president as if he is doing something new or different than his predecessors, when clearly, based on facts, he is not.

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

The last vacation was just the wife and kids. The mrs was very wealthy before she even met Barack. Most of that money is spent out of her own pocket. Plus, you guys have to realize, not only does he get a $400,000 salary each year, but think of all the 'free' (read taxpayer paid) stuff he doesn't have to pay for. Private chefs, food in the white house (most of it), gas, vehicles, etc. So most of that $400k goes straight in his pocket

22. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

This whole conversation is just ignorant.

Does anyone here really think that he does this for 400k or that he is paying for anything while on vacation.

I mean really.

23. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

That actually sounded more harsh than I intended....

24. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Presidents typically don't get to spend their own salaries while in office.