Google sued over Andriod's OS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a feeling it will be swept under the rug...in a manner of speaking

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

they will prob settle somewhere in there?

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Java, java, java!

5. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Just 1 of many things that indicate a not so bright future for Sun. I wondered how the purchase by Oracle was going to play out. I didn't have a good feeling about it to begin with and this just confirms my fears.

This smells like the making of a showdown like the SCO Linux beef.

6. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Google's owner is worth $38 billion.

:lockd:

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Google = bunch of thieves.

8. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

It's the same thing that happened when microsoft made their own incompatible version of java and got sued by Sun. It diluted the write once run anywhere moniker that was supposed to make java better than other languages. I don't fault them for taking issue with it but it does seem a bit late in the game to be picking faults.

9. 07Ltd#767

remember that next time you use them...for everything

oh i forgot, yahoo and msn have better search engines...

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

care to expand upon that, cupcake?

11. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

That's asking too much

12. 07Ltd#767

funny you people bitching about the internets...

until you want to use them...

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

heh, I lol'd

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Using pipelines laid down by other companies for free.

And you are starting to sound like brokenwrx by saying cupcake.....unless he stole that from you.

16. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

What pipelines are you referring to?

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

All the pipelines. Other telco companies pay out of their own pockets to lay down the fiber/copper/etc to provide service to all the homes.

Companies like MagicJack, Google, etc are all using these pipelines for free. I'm not saying that they should be paying out the butt but I do think there should be a 'service' fee that is paid for use of these lines. They are doing nothing but banking on free use.

There is a bill that is trying to be passed on something along these lines but I can't find it for the life of me as right now the name of the bill escapes me.

18. 07Ltd#767

oh you mean the pipelines we all pay our ISPs to use? How are you going to charge for a website that uses advertisements to make its revenue?

19. integroid

So I guess that means everyone on this board is banking from other peoples pipelines including yourself. Google themsleves, including all of us, pay a monthly fee to use this pipeline from the telco companies. You think they get free internet service to their data centers?

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm referring to VOIP type services and similar.

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

wat

are you complaining because a company that doesn't provide last mile service sends data that users requests over lines they didn't install (because they're not a telecom provider)

'sides, telcos are protected bigtime by the government. sounds like you're not in favor of net neutrality, and that telcos and last mile service providers should be able to dictate content because they installed a piece of copper from the street to my house

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes I am not in favor of net neutrality (thanks for that term). It's my JOB and we are losing TONS of money from companies like Vonage, MagicJack, Google, etc. And at least for my company we install ALL the copper for our entire county minus some of Myrtle Beach (but we did the majority of MB).

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the customer is PAYING you for data transfer. You have NO right to care what data it is.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

When customers are dropping landlines for other things....yes you do. Let your job go in jeopardy and see how you feel while the other companies sick on huge amounts of profit for nothing.

25. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

then your company should adapt and change its business model.

or, they could go the american way and sue/legislate

I see your argument is based on your personal feelings and emotions and not facts and what is good for the internet at large, so I'll just back quietly out of this thread

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I care more for my company, my job, and my family than I do for the internet at large.

27. 07Ltd#767

unfortunately, i, nor does most anybody here, don't

I'm not saying this because I dislike you or your family, but I use the internet to conduct nearly every facet of my business, so without it I would be unable to provide for myself and loved ones.

did you really think we as a rapidly advancing society were going to lean on telecoms for phone service, much as we ahve for the last hundred years? You have to use technology for your advantage and adapt to its path, which is generally laid out by what the people as a majority want. Look at ATT / Uverse...prime example

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Liar.....you know everyone hates me.

29. integroid

I dropped my landline for a cellphone. It has nothing to do with Magicjack, google voice, vonage, etc....I was sick of getting raped by my local telco for home phone that I never used. Well actually, it was comcast...but I guess you hate them too since they are stealing away customers from the company you work for?

30. J_P

Blame the greedy executives of corporate America. The broadband being provided by whatever local carrier by FCC regulation is the ends users to do with as they please (as long as they aren't re-selling it or doing anything illegal).

It was clear 2 decades ago that wireline's bread and butter dial tone was going to be pushed aside for wireless service. Broadband has saved many wireline companies. Don't like Vonage? Produce a better VOIP product.

I've worked for a telco for 10 years. Name has changed once after being bought out. Wireline companies have a unique advantage and opportunity since they already have infrastructure for the last mile. I don't feel sorry for GM either. They had the time and resources to build more competitive cars. In fact they had to make a decision NOT to progress.

Google... a very interesting subject.
    On one hand I absolutely love Google and on the other I am suspicious of them. First off they promote using Linux and open source software makes me want to dry hump the CEO's leg. Google does a lot to try and even the socioeconomic playing field when it comes to access to technology. Free wi-fi access in San Fran for example. You get a slower speed with ads for free or you can upgrade to Earthlink for full speed with no ads.

Why am I suspicious? Information is power right? Google as everybody should know has been developing their own OS. I assume this will be a version of Linux to deal a serious blow to windows in the residential and educational spaces. And it will give Google access to even more information. And they will get it legally by having you agree to the terms before using the software. You know the "terms and agreement" that nobody reads.

They have also been buying up dark fiber around the country for a few years now. Almost appears like they are building their own backbone.

Love them or hate them they are great for the industry. At least they are pro open source it would be a lot worse if they weren't.

I do feel sorry for those of us that are affected by the greedy executives making bad decisions for the future of the companies we work for in order to fill their pockets now.

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

You're getting the money YOU charged for the bandwidth. Remember that. They are paying you what YOU thought was fair.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

True but legally we can't change that yet. Nor will we....we are having to totally rehash our infrastructure. Our company started on the landline and thrived off it it for decades. Now we are more geared towards wireless and cable but would like to keep as much of the landline we can.

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

That too. 50 bucks for a phone line? No thanks.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

$50? Wow. We don't charge anywhere near that much.

35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The point is-- current trends are dictated BY people and what and how much they are willing to pay for something. If you cant change with society.. you will fail.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Eh we are still the LARGEST Coop Telecom in the country. We are doing fine but things could be better.

37. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure what Drew's reference to this board and advertisement revenue is about but...

I agree completely. What you've summarized is certainly a fundamental reality of basic marketing, and basic economics for that matter. I find it difficult to believe that anyone can deny the decline in landline usage/sales. Even colleges are beginning to remove them from their dorm rooms now.

@CoolRex A company will almost certainly fail if it chooses not to diversify its interests or business model in order to stay moderately risk-adverse to the change in the tastes and preferences of consumers. When it comes to technology, you're either on the bleeding edge or supporting the other side. If you're stuck in the middle, you'll be treading water till you drown. Here's a great example of this: I think you mentioned earlier (or in another thread regarding .net framework) that you program not only in Java and other more modern languages but also Cobol or Python.

38. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

who do you work for?

taggart transcontinental?

(pun for our more astute forum-goers)

39. J_P

The shrinking dial tone market is product of new technology. MOST landline companies have the infrastructure to provide data connections. That's where the business has moved. Dial tone was a HUGE cash cow for years. Welcome to the 21st century where a data connection is all that matters.

regulated data still costs a ton of money T1, T3, etc

unregulated xDSL is cheap and can make a landline company very profitable.

40. DaveH

DaveH Member

Let me just throw my 2c in: The move from landlines to wireless started to happen rapidly in Europe 15 years ago (earlier in Japan?). So, it's not like US landline owners didn't see this train coming. From a LONG way off.

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You work for google.....why don't you go google it and you can find out. I found it via google search in 2 seconds.

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I already knew. I was just setting myself up for the pun

43. Afande

Afande Member

Now that's humorous!

44. J_P

This is related to the net neutrality discussion earlier in the thread. Apparently Verizon and Google want to decide where net neutrality is applicable.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368255,00.asp

What a joke. They want to make wireless service exempt from net neutrality rules. DATA IS DATA! I don't care what the layer 1 transport is. Charge for throughput WTF?

45. Jake

Jake Active Member

i agree that phone lines ARE defunct and will eventually be gone completely like the VCR and LaserDisc. replaced by better, digital counterparts

and any company solely dealing in them will surely do the same