Subaru has some work to do (2012 Focus ST)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Sep 29, 2010.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

While we don't know pricing yet, the interior on this car (aside from the particular color) seems miles above Subaru's current offerings. In fact, even my 09 Speed 3 interior leaves the Subaru wanting. I know that interior comfort is often minimized on car forums, but other manufacturers are starting to "get it"...why not Subaru?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-ford-focus-st-2/#3406641

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I like everything except the front bumper. It looks like a catfish (very "sucky").

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Not a huge fan of the car itself but the interior is very nice....

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It's one of those things that European Ford is bringing to the table. Even the bottom of the barrel Puegot or Polo over there has an interior that would leave the average American car in the dust. All we seem to care about in the states is the number of cup holders.

5. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I only count two, and my WRX has 4.
    4>2
    AMERICA!(?)

Seriously, though, kill the orange and gimme that interior.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Should be called the Focus UT with that freaking orange

7. Alex

:rofl:

8. BelvnAWD

I had the chance to go to a car show in France a few years ago and Alex is absolutely correct. It was even more disappointing getting into an STi over there during the car show when the $14,000 Pugeot had a noticeably nicer interior and build quality...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  9. techlord

techlord Active Member

that interior is sweeet!

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Anymore specs on the car? Is it essentially a Mazda3?

11. BelvnAWD

Ford delivers on promise to introduce a global performance version of the new
    Focus: next-generation 250 PS Focus ST (roughly 247 HP and 266 tq) previewed at the Paris Motor Show

• Ford's first global high-performance model, scheduled for 2012 launch and
    developed by Ford's global Performance Vehicles team

• Exciting new model will be true to Ford's ST heritage, with exhilarating
    performance and handling, an addictive sound and muscular sports design

• Pure performance delivered by unique 250 PS version of new 2.0-litre Ford
    EcoBoost four-cylinder petrol engine

• Over 10 percent more power and torque than the current European Focus ST,
    but fuel consumption and CO2 emissions cut by more than 20 percent

• Lowered chassis and unique suspension tuning to deliver acclaimed ST handling
    agility and poise

• 5-door ST show car for Paris features dramatic 'Tangerine Scream' body colour,
    reflecting new ST's exciting and energetic character

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

I hate to say it but I have to at this point.

No flappy paddles, no care.

I need a car without a clutch pedal after the STI.

13. Alex

^^ Don't listen to this guy. Save the manuals!

14. BelvnAWD

You won't find a car in the less than 30k price range with "real" flappy paddles anytime soon. Those transmissions are too expensive still. You could most likely get this and a mazda2 or ford new fiesta for the price of an STI...

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I love my flappy paddles :wiggle:

That interior is sweet......the color could change but isn't all that bad IMO.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

wow. my next car may just end up being a ford.

18. Figment

Figment Member

Meh.. I'd hump it in the face.

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

You can have manuals. Just give me a dual clutch flappy paddle option.

My ideal would be a Fiesta/Focus, Mazda 2/3, etc for a daily driver and '11 Mustang GT, My STI, 370Z, etc as a weekend car. I just have to see how things are when the time comes.

The VW DSG or a traditional automatic(torque converter) that didn't take "forever" to respond to commands would be acceptable to me.

20. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Isn't it the other way? Or am I just not remembering things correctly.
    Oh wait. Nevermind. Yeah. The current Focus was built around the frame/chassis of the MZ3.

The interior looks great. The outside is meh. The wheels are even worse.
    Someone on the Mazda forums I go to wanted to switch out his stock wheels with those. Lol.
    He was trolled like no other.

21. DaveH

DaveH Member

I'm with longfury on this.

I've driven the VW Golf GTI with flappy paddles. The clutch pedal is now dead to me.

As for Subie interiors - specifically dashboards, it ought to not be a newsflash to anyone: they suck.

However - is that important? I'd rather have a heavily rear-biased AWD system with good power and awesome handling than the latest Ford voice-activated Personal Daily Info byte. Ugh.

22. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Why not have both? I think that is the key in the longterm.

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

It was the GTI that changed my mind about them as well. It is amazing how good the GTI is and how much fun it is even with just 200hp.

24. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I hate to say it, but that is kinda how I feel. My 03 WRX's interior is gorgeous compared to my old Integra. It is spartan, but I kinda love that. Seats are comfy, things come apart and go back together. I just wish it had a sunroof and MORE CUP HOLDERS.

My scooby only has 2: the tiny one by the e-brake and the satellite cup holder that suspends liquids over my nav system. :|
    So Subaru finally started to put more in then?

25. nygiant

nygiant Member

???
    my wrx has 8

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  26. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Yep, two in the center console, and two that fold out from the back of the center console for the backseats. I'm just happy there isn't one that puts anything in it right in front of the radio controls like in my old Integra. Whoever designed that piece of crap should be hit in the head with someone smarter than themselves.

27. nygiant

nygiant Member

rally armor ur flaps, tune, downpipe, drop it an inch....yes, yes...that would be a mighty fine car. the first ford i'd ever consider owning

28. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

LMK when you get that Audi TT:)

I do love how the DSG on the VAG cars drive. I also love the interior of those cars. This will probably be my last Subaru until they do some drastic changes to their lineup.

29. Trey

Trey Active Member

IMO, the American version of that Focus ST will not look anywhere near as nice as the one on page 1. Keep dreaming!

30. Alex

I'd be shocked if the inside of the US bound car even remotely resembled that media PR one in the OP. Here's my prediction:

- They'll drop those Recaros in favor of something already in the Focus line
    - All leather pieces will be moved to Vinyl except for the piece directly beneath your rear end and directly behind your head
    - That fancy looking nav is going bye-bye
    - Rubber foot pedals
    - Stitched dash? Haha. Try a single piece of vacuum formed plastic with padded rubber shell.

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If they don't ditch it, you will be charged accordingly for it :eek:hnoes:

32. BelvnAWD

Actually, the 2004+ SVT Focus had Recaro seats that were pretty nice and it didn't jack the price up. The rest of the interior on those cars was actually very nice as well. I agree that we probably won't see all the bells and whistles, but predict that the interior will look darn close to this.

33. Trey

Trey Active Member

Since Ford has had very nice Focus cars in Europe for years and their American counterparts were very watered down versions, I highly doubt that the US bound ST will have anything cool about it. Just another crappy econo-box with some cool stickers, like the SVT. lol

34. BelvnAWD

The SVT was hardly "just some stickers." Although Ford was caught with its pants down when the SRT4 was introduced, the SVT was widely regarded as a great little pocket rocket by the media at the time, and was several thousand dollars less than a WRX or RSX-S. Of course, its being built on a platform plagued with reliability issues and QC problems didn't help its shelf life....

35. Trey

Trey Active Member

That was my point. ;)

36. Alex

The SRT4 isnt exactly a quality automobile like Ford will be trying to push above. The SRT was a piece of junk, with an engine and a cardboard interior. Not a great comparison.

However, going to title of the OP -- I have found that Subaru has really come around and done some homework for the inside of their cars. Its incredible what 4 years for the STI has yielded...on the inside. It makes you wonder if they're trying to follow the same path BMW did with their E30 to E36 M3 or Audi with the S4. In the end, at least Subaru is trying to step up the game. Ultimately they're a young company to the US and still control only a tiny portion of the market that's out there. As their market begins to widen, so will the tastes and preferences that they're fielding from the customer base. I would expect to see several changes in their lineup in the next ten years in an effort to not only better understand and match the expectations of their current customer base, but also expand it into markets that currently hold their competition/substitutes.

Additionally, when you consider the Impreza WRX's & STI's competition and the price range. There really wasn't much out there other than the Evolution, completely different market segment in my mind, and used Euro maintenance heavy vehicles. We're just now starting to see manufacturers (a) bring platforms over from Europe (b) introduce mid-level models that are designed to be competitive in the $30-40,000 psuedo sports car price range.

Finally, the other valid point: The majority of people posting in this thread are not new Subaru. I find it rational that they're present compelling arguments to leave the brand and try something different.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  37. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

I've owned an EVO and an STi and Subaru did a lot better job on making the STi look like a $30K+ car on the inside. Also, THANK GOD they've kept it stick. I stopped looking at the EVO when the only stick option is on the lower version GSR and not the MR.

Also, my friend sent me a link to the Focus ST asking if it was STi competition. I have to admit that the ST interior is extremely sexy, but it's FWD!!!! Seriously Ford, didn't you learn from Dodge's SRT-4 FWD mistake?

38. longfury

longfury Active Member

I always thought the better idea would have been to offer the MR with a traditional 6 speed and the DCT. Mitsubishi didn't think so obviously.

39. BelvnAWD

I wasn't saying the SRT4 was a great car or had a great interior, but it did have amazing HP and TQ for its price range. The whole point of my post was to say that a balance needs to be struck. Subaru doesn't seem interested in that balance or is incapable of doing it in a cost effective way. As Ford seems to be getting its act together, VW continues to improve its products due to a strong financial profile and companies like Toyota and even Hyundai look to move into the entry to mid level sports car market, deciding to neglect the NVH issues and interior quality of their products will hurt Subaru. The initial Focus SVT was actually a nice car, mine had 0 problems outside of a prematurely rusting gas cap, which was replaced under warranty. Its main problem at the time was the SRT4. Ford brought a knife to a gunfight in terms of performance. These days, the vehicles in the WRX price range are much closer performance wise, so it will be things like interior quality, gas mileage and dependability which drive the market.

40. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

This. As far as I am concerned Subaru hasn't really made a car I would buy since 2007. They have started looking too much like a Toyota for my taste. I understand that manufacturers have to gain market share, but I just don't like the direction Subaru has gone. Not to mention the pricing is starting to get ridiculous... Call me old school, but If I am dropping $40-50k it is going to be something from Deutschland.

41. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

42. BelvnAWD

So are you saying you wouldn't appreciate a nicer interior? I think that's the false choice here. Manufacturers have shown they can do both performance and style while still providing a reasonably priced car. The idea that it has to be one or the other seems outdated to me...

43. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

looks like they just took the "I" off the "STI" and slapped "ST" with same font, color, and design. Interior is hot.

44. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

It wasn't bad enough that I didn't want to buy one. To answer the question the way that you ask it though....Yes I think it should be better.