Onkyo 608 versus Pioneer 1020/1120

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Thoughts? Looks like my amp from the early 80s is on the fritz and I would rather upgrade to something a bit more modern with multiple HDMI, etc :clap: I'll hang onto the Vector Research amp for the LPs :)

The Onkyo 608 is $389.00 on Amazon right now
    The Pioneer VSX-1020 is $399.99 on Newegg right now
    The Pioneer VSX-1120 is $505.00 on Amazon right now

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

To me, the Onkyo's are the like the Subarus of the stereo world. They have some intriguing features which help them stand out, but they don't necessarily look that great doing it. The Pioneer's on the other hand are like the Nissans of the stereo world, nice looks, but they don't do anything great...

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:(

my pioneer is a helluva lot better than my old Denon. And my buddy's Onkyo 607

4. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

I've been looking just waiting for my Onkyo 602 to die. I bought it for $200 as a refurb about 6 years ago and it has been extremely solid.

I like the HTC series since it has built in streaming audio without a PC. This one is on my short list.
    http://www.frys.com/product/6082388?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Onkyo seems to routinely have the best bang for the buck performance.

Check out AVSForum.com- good website with lots of knowledgeable people. Search model #s you think you are interested in on that site and you will quickly know shortcomings of specific models in a few minutes and whether that feature is a dealbreaker for you.

5. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Onkyo won't let you down. That's where I would spend my money.

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

7. Alex

Been reading AVSforum today about it, thanks. I'll check out that Emotiva as well.

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

The UMC-1 is a horrible receiver and has alot of issues dispite the numerous software updates. AVS members bash it all day long. All the bad press is removed from the Emotiva website forums so don't bother looking there. I love their amps and wanted the UMC-1 but decided to heed the warnings and move along.

AVS chater: clicky

The Harman Kardon AVR-3600 is what I settled on. Picked it up from the harmanaudio ebay store with a full warranty for under $500.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/affo...kardon-and-definitive-technology.html?start=2

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no shit? that sucks. I waited for a LONG time for the thing to be released, and it sucks they dropped the ball on it. their amps are awesome for the money

10. Alex

I hadn't considered ol H&K. Thanks for the link.

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've had the 607 for the better part of a year and no complaints. Although I don't have a ton to compare it to. I picked it just based on solid reviews everywhere.

12. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The 608 is better than the 707 or at least has more features.

I looked into the 1120/VSX-33 and was originally going to pick one of the two up until I stumbled across the Denon AVR-3311CI. It seems to have the most features with only a slight price hike from the VSX-33. I have owned high end Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer Elite in the past. I use to sell Onkyo, HK, and Denon. They are all good receivers and I dont think you can go wrong with any of the ones that have been listed. Honestly the only reason why I am not going back with Onkyo is because I just wanted a change. I have had Onkyo receivers for the past 15 years. Plus the fact that the Denon has built in HD radio:) After having it in my car, I think it is awesome:)

14. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Only thing I really like about the 707, is that is more useful if your using an external amp, and that the 707 will eq your sub. Other than that I agree :)

15. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I am siding w the Onkyo. The 707 is nice but without any future proof hdmi 1.4a. The downside to the 608, as far as I can tell, is the lower model 2eq version of their Audyssey system, 8ohms per channel and lack of pre-outs. All in all I don't think it can be beat for 389. The pioneer has an apprently worthless ethernet port, almost ziilcho x-over settings, year less warranty, and less power. The 1120 is a better comparison but over $100 more.

16. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Last 2 recievers I've had are Onkyo.... last one the floor model at Circuit City.... Not one problem with either.

17. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Had my Onkyo 875 for going on 2 years now and I've had no issues. Crystal clear sound and great support (my manual that shipped with the device was only in French).

18. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, I have changed my mind again as well. Now looking at either another Onkyo or a Yamaha:( Where is Dana when you need him?

19. Alex

Dunno, but Onkyo 608 is still on sale at amazon :) I've had to postpone the purchase, but I'll hopefully be back on it within a few months.

20. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

you see the marantz on sale at amazon too? 1000 receiver for 600

21. Alex

Which model? A couple of them were having small problems from what I remember reading on AVS.

22. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

HK definitely...I miss them making car audio amps over a decade ago. Quality all around.