Camp Site Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MeFryRice, Oct 20, 2010.

1. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

The gf and I would like to go camping soon before the weather starts to really drop but I haven't been since I moved here from Utah. This being a Subaru forum, I assume most people on here are outdoors type. We live down here in Peachtree City and expect to have to drive to the N. GA mountains for anything good.

Where have you been and what do you recommend? We'll be using our tents opposed to renting a cabin.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Lake burton. Wildcat camping sites. Its where we go 2-3 times year. Really great place.

3. three forks right outside of Clayton is a beautiful place. Its a hell of a hike in and out not to long but pretty strenuous but definitely worth it. Ive camped on Trey Mountain for years. Its right outside of Helen and there are drive up spots and a really nice spot with about a mile hike. Heres a picture of three forks
    [​IMG]

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

How far are you willing to drive?

5. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

Car camping or do you have the gear to do more?

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Stonewall Falls off old 441 south of Clayton, MTB trail with one nice climb to top with overview of apple orchard and great sunset. Camp down by the fall right off fire service road.

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Ravens Falls Creek is a National Park and very pretty, some of the campsites are very accessible, other require a hike. Not to far, maybe two hours from Peachtree City, and the roads getting up there are akin to a mini Tail of the Dragon...

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

We are tent camping on the beach Halloween weekend but that's a good drive for ya :wiggle:

9. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. Jake

Jake Active Member

sarah's creek near rabun's bald just outside of clayton. all the guys in my family go there annually for a camping trip. NO FACILITIES, seldom if any ranger traffic. might see 4-5 other campers/hunters driving down the roads in 4 days. definitely a great place.

11. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

we obviously have different ideas of camping...i would die there. I do good to stumble back to my tent at the end of the night

12. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Cant go wrong with Amicola Falls. Its the start of the Appalachian trail.

If you have gear to hike in some then you may want to look at where the AT crosses the roads and then hike in to one of the back country sites. If you are wanting to hike in some let me know. I have done the AT from GA => NC

A few other places:
    Hiawassee River area
    Unicoi State park
    Tallulah Gorge SP

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

most of those are regulated/pay sites. sorry, but i already paid for my campsite with my tax dollars.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that's actually the first thing I thought of when he suggested tenting 10' from a 150' drop.

no thanks!

15. Alex

It all depends if you want facilities or not. National Forests are the best if you want isolation, but sucks if you aren't willing to dig the "hole" :) FWIW, winter camping destroys summer camping. You'll want to check into the area to see if you need any burn permits for camp fires, etc.

16. lostinthewoods

My preference is back country places with no facilities. I typically do back country camping / backpacking etc... Guess it depends what Steve is looking for :wiggle:

17. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

I drink when camping, too. But not enough to be stumbling drunk. GEEZ.

Nothing like waking up rolling over and having that view from the overlook.

Anywhere in Brevard NC is pretty spectacular. Lots of free camping. Fish Hatchery area is usually great partying. Head up FS right by the Fish Hatchery and there are many, many great unofficial campsites.

Awesome hiking and MTB'ing in Pisgah NF.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah. its not camping with any sort of facilities IMHO. you're supposed to come home smelly and not quite sober yet. otherwise, you might as well just be at a house with no electricity and no ceiling. and camping in the summer, BLOWS. hot, uncomfortable, too many other 'non-campers' camping, and just plain un-fun.

19. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Obviously you've never met drew...

20. 07Ltd#767

haha, it's not drinking unless you're drunk, and I never said i drink that much when camping...

Any of the national reserves up in N. GA are fun...free, out of the way and I've never seen annoying kids or campers out there. It's usually college to 30 somethings up there just looking to get into no cell phone coverage and have a good time.

lol, and while that morning rollover view sounds awesome, it can't be better than wrxn8tor and jeb deciding they want to wake up at 730 and be everybody's personal alarm clock...

21. wrxin8or

hey now...that was just jeb. I was sleeping until I heard "SHHAAAAADDDOOOWWWWWWW" for the thousandth time, then finally figured I might as well wake up. I wasn't the one making all the noise...

22. 07Ltd#767

oh yeah, blame me...let me take a picture of your shin and post it up and we'll see who takes the cake for not being able to walk straight

23. wrxin8or

yeah cause its my fault someone left a stump at shin high when I was near blackout stumbling from campsite to campsite at 2am

24. 07Ltd#767

/threadjack - you lose, sir

25. Alex

Helen is nice, lots of great trails as well. Doesn't hurt that Octoberfest is going on right now either.

26. Alex

Agreed, I just got back from my vacation and we car-camped most of the way in National Forests with the exception of Yellowstone where we used a campsite. Of course, you have to enjoy the cold weather -- it was low 20s in Yellowstone, low 30s in Oregon and Idaho.

27. wrxin8or

where did I say I'm not ever stumbling drunk while camping?

you lose, maam

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

kind of like waking everyone up at the lake house at 7am?

29. 07Ltd#767

at least i woke everybody up with breakfast and it was to go wakeboarding

edit - and at least you got to sleep in, i was forced to wake up at 5am

30. lostinthewoods

Yellowstone / Tetons etc are all beautiful. Thats probably one of the best trips I have taken was to wind river range. Breath taking views and lots of snow even in June :eek:hnoes:

Nothing like 7 days in the back country on new trails that are covered with snow. Needless to say route finding was a pain.

few pics /threadjack :keke:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. wrxin8or

forced to wake up, huh?