My chain of Subies may be broken...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluelinescooby, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Sooooo, I may be picking up a new (to me) car this weekend. After 10 years and five Subarus, I'll hopefully be getting a very early (build date 01/90) MkII MR2. I'd been looking for a while for a cheap little MkI MR2 for a project car, but this is a deal I couldn't turn down. Only issues are that there's a big empty space in the middle where an engine should be, and the interior will need a little attention, but that's why it's a project dammit.

If everything pans out I'll throw up some pics. I'm also open to suggestions if anyone has a line on a motor that I can stuff into that empty space, the bigger the better. :D

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sweet, Matt will be jealous! :D

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I always liked the 2nd generation MR2s.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

3SGTE swap!

5. Bingo! Although I'm actually leaning more towards a 1MZFE or 2GRFE at the moment. :)

6. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Can't you fit an LS1 in there :p

7. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

SW20 FTW!!!! Always wanted one but I kept hearing people wiping out with the rear end coming out...:(

8. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

It can be twitchy , but they are awesome cars. Somewhere on here is a thread from when my Dad was selling his. I still wish I could have bought it from him...

9. Yeah, something about how toe changes as the rear suspension compresses. It was supposedly fixed with a redesign in '93. Should be fun, but I'll have to get an engine in it before I start sorting out the suspension.

10. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

A 3SGTE swap into a Mk1 is doable and doesn't change much in the way of suspension balance. Easy big power to be had...

11. Well I've been wanting a MkI but the smoking deal that I got was on a MkII. Bought it today, getting it dropped off at the house tomorrow. Preliminary pic:

[​IMG]

To clarify, the trunk isn't misaligned, it's just not shut all the way in the photo. The paint looks good (respray, I'm sure), and there's not any rust that I could find. It was an eviction from a storage unit I think, and it seems like it's in pretty decent condition, unless I'm just completely missing something...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes the rear end is VERY twitchy. I recently used to drag race one for a local shop. VERY hard to keep that rear end straight in that car....esp with 830 hp in it.

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I think any car at that weight with 830hp would be hard to keep straight.

14. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Yeah. That's a lot of power for something so small and light weight.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup....the very first time I launched I thought I was gonna die when the car lurched sideways. And the feel behind BIG wrinkle wall tires is just un-nerving.