Cheap Coilovers?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by feebnap, Nov 12, 2010.

1. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I'm looking to get my fiance some coilovers for his wrx for Christmas. We've talked to several people about their opinions... some say "you get what you pay for" while others say that they've paid for pricier coilovers, hated them, went out and bought some cheap ones and they were perfect.

I don't have all that much money to go all out on this because I'm trying to get a couple of other parts too. Was going to get Megans that seem to be decent enough, but Godspeed on eBay supposedly have the same specs.

If you have either, let me know what you think please!

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

BC Racing. those are the best 'cheap' coilovers out there.

3. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

I prefer the term "inexspensive". But Yeah bc

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

4. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I'm seeing them going for a thousand dollars or more for a new set. I don't think there's anyway I could afford them in that amount of time, even if I didn't get him the other parts. Do you know of anyone selling a used set?

5. Matt

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Bc +1000000

8. Mindspin311

Mindspin311 Member

Racecomp! Quality ftw!

9. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

Those are what I plan on going with; Tarmac 2's.

Correct me if I'm wrong and maybe it's different for the Subaru's but for my previous two cars, Evo and S2K, the BC's were always considered "cheap crap" unless you only planned on hardparking?!

10. Matt

that would be Tein. They are worthless piles of shit.

11. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The BC's are the best of the $1000 dollar coilovers, that doesn't mean they are good it just means they are better than the other garbage thats out there.

The Tarmac 2's are awesome mid-line coilovers, its a good track\street coilover. I have them on my car and I really like them but Ill be switching to JRZs shortly.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I hate to say it but you get what you pay for. And for anyone riding the BC/Megan/K Sport/Random eBay Taiwanese Brand train, they know its true.

What specifically is your budget? For under $1000 you could buy your man a nice set of Koni or Tokico adjustables and springs or sways :)

13. feebnap

feebnap New Member

Oh, okay! He has an '02.

I guess I kind of suck for addressing something as "cheap", sorry to all. As much as I'd like to get him a better set, I cannot afford them before Christmas. If anyone knows of dealerships hiring, let me know so I can take on a third job to get him some BC's. Thanks to all though!

14. feebnap

feebnap New Member

We have a friend who had a pair of coilovers that were about $3k and he hated them, bought some $500 ones and loved them.

It is really low, I'm talking $600. He really wants coilovers though. I refuse to get him springs because I already have an image of him cutting them.

15. Alex

Out of curiosity, why did you friend dislike his...KW3s, ZZYXs, Bilsteins, etc.?

Here's a link to NASIOCs classifieds, there may be some used sets of coilovers floating around: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150. Otherwise you could contact Cicio @ TopSpeed or Decker @ Forged Performance. Either vendor should be able to set you up with a brand in your price range! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
  16. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i dont like the term cheap, financially challenged coilovers are what i like to call them =P
    i have helix's on my wrx and they do the job fine

17. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I honestly have no idea as to why he didn't like them, I'll ask.

I'll try Cicio or All Pro Subaru. Thanks!

18. feebnap

feebnap New Member

Post recession coilovers!

19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

freedom coilovers!

20. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

21. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

shipping is an option you know.

22. superdoughboy4

It would be disgustingly expensive. But maybe not up to 1000$ expensive, from 750.

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

Hey duh boy nice try but 05 and later STI won't work on an 02 bugeye. You'd know that if you had a Subaru I guess...

24. superdoughboy4

Yeah. I didn't know. Assumed that they'd be at least able to fit seeing as how so many parts between each generation are interchangeable.

25. feebnap

feebnap New Member

Man, I really wish I could make those work. My price range is still much, much lower than that. Thanks though!

26. Alex

Maybe you should just get him a gift card at one of the vendors, TopSpeed, KillShot or Forged, in $X amount?

27. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

^^ That's not a bad idea and that will allow your husband to order whatever he likes instead of you having to guess. :)

28. superdoughboy4

Lol. Gift cards are a gift that never fails.

29. feebnap

feebnap New Member

As good of an idea as that is, on Christmas morning, he'll go under the tree and either see four boxes or just an envelope. I see the envelope as a major disappointment for him.
    The plus side of getting the less costly springs is an HKS BOV he wants and something else, which I can't remember the initials of, that help increase air flow to the motor.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

Does he venture on this site? If not post up pics of the car inside and out and we can make suggestions as to what he may like or need. There are quite a few things I would spend the money on before coil-overs the first being a short throw shifter, good set of rotors and brake pads, or sway bars and end-links.

31. Alex

Why not give him 4 boxes and in each place a gift certificate for $200.00?

32. I have the tokico d-specs with prodrive springs on my 02 and they are awesome. They can be adjusted for daily driving or "spirited" driving in the mountains by just a couple turns of a hex key. I think the d-specs were around 500 and the springs around 250 but you could easily find good used springs for cheaper.

33. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

This ^

I have Konis on my Legacy GT and will probably get Tokicos for my bugeye.

I will probably get lambasted for this, but I am a jerk (so let er' rip)... coilovers are dumb for the street. Buy some good shocks i.e Konis/Tokicos/Bilstein with a quality progressive rate spring. The spring/strut combo will ride better than any comparably priced coilover and the strut will not need to rebuilt near as often as the coilover.

Well set up Koni's/Tokico's could probably stomp a mudhole in any sub $1500 coilover.

Here's another suggestion nobody made...I'll tell you to buy a better tire first if you really want bang for the buck in the handling dept (Plus 0 in something sticky) and possibly a swaybar setup that moves you from understeer to neutral (crap! strike the swaybar idea- that would mean I agree with B.Reel)....

34. b reel

b reel Active Member

Damn all the sudden grief I'm getting makes me want to go buy a M3 and break a world record

35. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You are going to get a better value with a simple set of Konis or Bilstens. As suggested above a set of nice sway bars or summer tires will also would be a great present. The new Hankook RS3s are a great tire and fairly cheap...

36. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I'd post a picture, but I'm at work and there are blocks on image hosting websites. I told the man I'm getting him coilovers and well, I simply have to get him coilovers. He's trying to become flush. Any other suspension parts or tires won't be helping him at the moment.

I found out that I'll be starting a new job sometime next week, so I can afford to get him a better set.

37. Matt

flush...

:|

38. Trey

Trey Active Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  39. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Jesus you pep remind me of my parents on Xmas. I say I want an rc car, they say you need work cloths.

All the dood is looking for is a slammed car and car that rides a tic better then shitty. Regardless of what you have decided is best for him wrxatlanta, that's not what he wants haha.

On topic, bc racing coilovers. Cheap, effective, and as good as it gonna get for china stuff. / thread(or the konis and gc, but those are only for car owners with knowledge and what and need a better suspension then normal stuff).

40. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

then i hope he also has low offset wheels, camber bolts, and a fender roller

41. Alex

:rofl: You got me! Except by work clothes you mean I'm trying to buy you a nice dress shirt when what you asked for was an Ed Hardy wife-beater :)

Now that the truth is out there, the BCs are a great choice for your man. He'll definitely be pleased with them. The plus side is he'll gain a better understanding of what he may or may not want in the future, suspension wise.

42. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I got him wheels back in August and he rolled the fenders a little bit when they went on. He just needs spacers for a bit more poke and his beloved coilovers.

43. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

remember any spacers longer than 10mm will need longer studs

44. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SCH-I500 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Good point!

45. Meredith

Meredith Banned

IMHO I would not run spacers on my DD wheels or wheels that I'm not frequently checking the torque on.

Flush /= good handling suspension

46. feebnap

feebnap New Member

He's aware, thanks. If bad suspension was a major concern, he wouldn't have cut his springs to begin with. The coilovers were just to help him have a little bit better suspension.

In other news . . . he totaled his car today. So no more coilovers, until he gets his next roo. Off topic, but if anyone has an 04-05 WRX for sale under $10k, PM me.