RS4 or S6

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AutoxSTi, Nov 12, 2010.

1. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Well, been looking at a car for the wife (Supercharged S2K) and for me Porsche (911 Turbo AWD, older one of course). It was just up in the air at the moment. Just a weekend/date car for the both of us. But I don't want too many cars in the driveway like before(had 5 and HOA and neighbors hated me). So I was trying to keep the cars to a minimum of 3. So, been thinking of an RS4(07'-08') or S6(08'), just for the both of us. Kind of a happy medium and I'm such a compromiser. LOL! Probably just going to be stock.

Anyhow, anyone have any experience owning one of these? High maintenance, too many problems?

2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

high maintenance for both of the audi's...yes

awesome definitely!

3. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

My father has an '08 S4 and it's always in for service; it's at the dealership more than in his driveway. German cars are great cars, just costs a little more to keep on the road. I've had a couple M3's in the past and loved them. Once you sit in it (in any M), they just feel right, the way a driver's car should be.

4. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

5. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

What kind of maintenance would I be looking at? Anyone know what normally breaks on them? I'm sure a good tune would somewhat help.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

If you have spare money, buy out your HOA ;)

7. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Haven't gotten to that point yet....LOL!

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Not all German cars are high maintenance. My M3 has been a joy to own so far and the only issues I have had was the suspension bushings which is a wear item. Also had an alternator go out but still the car has been very stout.

Take care of it and it'll last. Neglect it and it'll hurt ya.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I know the water pumps on the RS4 are garbage and have been known to fail. Same thing with the coil packs. I love the way AUdis look and feel on the road but dont know if I could ever own another one. I had nothing but problems with my B6 A4. New transmission at 750 miles, coil packs, sunroof problems, etc etc....

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

just how many cars have you had in your lifetime?

11. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Probably over 9000.

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have owned a lot of cars:)

This Legacy is one of the longest cars I have kept around:)

13. 2thAche

2thAche Member

You should sit in them and decide about the size. If you're looking to fit 4 adults here and there, get the S6.

You need to factor in maintenance costs, you should talk with an Audi mechanic if you can and get a realistic idea, 'cause German cars are not really something you want to maintain yourself and the costs are high for parts and labor. You'll need to think about that and not just the monthly payment.

I'd look at a certified pre-owned 335i before the RS4. I loved the concept of the RS4 but it turned out to be heavy and not a great handler. Lots of potential in the 335i and it handles great and can only get better with mods.