Gaming: Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I know some of yous guys bought it. My copy arrived just as I was leaving to go out of town for the holiday weekend. :|

But, since I pre-ordered on Amazon, I received an AMG SLS stealth mode car.

Anyone else get it?

Yes, it's not as realistic as other driving simulation games, but at this point, it's a 'staple' to me.

2. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Same boat... picked up the "collector's edition" at Fry's just before we bugged out for the holidays with the inlaws. Can't wait to get on it tomorrow and see what it's about. I guess the CE version comes with a "voucher" for 4 or 5 more cars, whatever a "voucher" is. I was joking with Alex via text at a GT5 GTG. :D

3. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I picked it up on Wednesday and have only played it a couple hours since. So far, it's not bad although I'm a bit disappointed that you can only drive the Top Gear track in the Special Events section.

Overall, it's not bad.

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Got it. I like it, but I hate that I can't use my 600hp sti for much, too many regulations for every race.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

My brother just went and bought a PS3 just to get GT5 and COD Black OPS.

The new COD is pretty awesome and GT5 seems pretty good but we have only played it for about 30 minutes.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

The Top Gear track actually gets unlocked to the Practice Sessions once you get through completing at least the 'intermediate' difficulty events for the track under the Special Events. Not exactly sure, because I sat there and did all three and when I went back to the main menu it said it was unlocked.

8. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I love the game so far. The only thing I don't like is how you can't put wheels on standard vehicles....

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I also picked it up over the weekend..I am enjoying it so far..

One thing I dont like is that there are no Brake upgrades!

anyone try the online racing yet?

10. crazyazn

Yes! I agree with this too, I was really hoping it would be like gt4 and you can essentially put any wheel on any car. I got even more bummed when I found out I couldn't put ce28n's on my sti in the game either :(

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I'm enjoying it as well. I really like the karting.

I haven't even started in A-Spec yet. Still working on licenses and Specials.

12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

was doing some research over the weekend. Apparently some of the licenses you can't get without the wheel. :|

13. pEd

Wouldn't doubt it at all. I was able to get silver and golds for licenses until I got to the dirt/rally licenses - those are all bronze :( . I can't imagine trying those with a controller.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

in earlier GT games I had an easier time using the controller for rally races. couldn't cut the wheel fast enough with the force feedback to be any good at the rally. but then again earlier GT games, the rally portion sucked a big D

15. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

bump, how's everyone enjoying it? I've heard bad things and good things. Either way my copy is coming via postal service as a bday present in a week.

Also, I was thinking of hinting to a steering wheel/chair for christmas. any recommendations?

from logitech g27 is like $300, and the driving force gt is only $150. worth it?

16. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

17. pEd

Frys has/had the driving force wheel for $100. I'd check there first.

I'm glad as hell I picked up a wheel. I think the game would be much less enjoyable without the wheel.

**edit** looks like they bumped the price up to $130.

18. crazyazn

I have the old driving force gt (the one that came out with gt4). I've used a g25 quite a lot and like the fact that the steering wheel is closer to full size. However, there's been some complaints of the g series not having full support on gt5, and with a big rumor that thrustmaster has a wheel coming out that will sport a gt5 logo, it seems like logitech may have lost their big/deal with polyphony. So it may be worthwhile to wait out a bit, either for the new wheel or what i would presume a price drop on the g27.

As to the game, its fun at times, but I find the arbitrary chassis wear and the repair cost for it a bit off mark, and I was also hoping for more of an improvement in driving physics from gt4 but it seems like more of a tweak to me.

19. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I've played about 8 or 9 hours so far and the Engine and Chasis wear fix is just cosmetic and worthless. I would rather have the ability to put any wheels on any cars.

Load times could have been better.