Turbo upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by gfred024, Dec 11, 2010.

1. gfred024

gfred024 Member

I have a 2006 STI. Ive been stg.2 for two years now and Im ready for more power. Engine Mods: K&n drop in, cobb apv1 (topspeed SS protuned stg2 map 301hp 345tq), Prodrive EBCS, 3inch Catless TBE & Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Im looking for high 300's. Not sure if I need internals or not. Can I just get a 20g, injectors, bigger TMIC or FMIC and tune? How much should I be looking to spend? Am I gonna need anything else?

Thanks

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Id say get ready to spend several thousand. You may be able to get into the upper 300s on a E85 tune, but that depends on the availability of the fuel in your area. Also, you may want to look at the newer line of turbos that have replaced the original idea of the 20G as far as efficiency and performance go. Alternatively, you could purchase the rotated setup here and call it a day! http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29455

3. gfred024

gfred024 Member

So you saying my upper 300's goal is gonna be costly? I just want some more power, but I dont wanna lose reliability and I cant afford to do internals just yet

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

High 300's is going to be rotated territory. You can get there using some other methods but the easiest and most reliable imho is going rotated. The turbo will not have to work as hard to make the power. Amonsta's rotated kit that we made for him made a VERY easy 390 at around 20-21 psi and very low timing on pump gas. He had injectors, rotated kit, Walbro and SSAC front mount. Last I heard he was at 191,000 miles on the engine with the LAST 25,000 of those miles at 390 awhp. His turbo was a Borg Warner rotated S256, the smallest of the ones we have worked with. It is in theory capable of 500 max. My guess is when we build his block and turn it up, it should get most of the way there.

There are also the newest line of Borg Warner turbos that just hit the market. Integrated BOV and very nicely designed internal wastegate that would easily hit your goal and when you decide to build the motor it would be ready for much more. They are being release this month and next month (this month on the single scroll, next on the twinscroll).

We also have a $3800 S362 Borg Warner rotated kit for sale right now with 750 or so miles on it for $2500.

Or get the kit Alex linked above. It really is a good price.

5. Alex

2011 will be the year of the rotated! :)

6. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

That kit is a steal...I might have to pick that up if no one does by the end of the month(big bonus and christmas money).

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

It damn well better be on my part, can't afford anymore yard art at this time.

8. Alex

I thought you were saving up to buy out your HOA?

9. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

you're looking at a couple thousand dollars for rotated. If you buy this motor and this turbo, you can safely put down 4-450whp, depending on starting mods. Add a front mount and a tune, you could make this happen reliably for less than $5k.

To put that in perspective, I spent three times that much on my stuff...

10. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I got rid of two of my cars. Got one more to sell after I rebuild it and I'll only have two cars...for now at least. 993 FTW!!!!

11. CoquiSubi

CoquiSubi Member

N/m gonna stay stock location.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

20g (used around $600)
    meth kit(Around 300)
    FMIC (good quality around 500 used)
    Pro Tune(400)

=$1,800.00 400hp.

Now the upkeep might cost more.

13. Alex

I guess this assumes he's going to install all the parts himself? If he's going to get the 20G why not go ahead and get the new 20GXT instead? Might as well purchase the better of the two off the bat for stock location. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-engine-drivetrain-performance/193473-blouch-20gxt-turbo-nib.html This one just sold for $1300 shipped NIB.

14. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Not necessarily what I would think of as a reliable set up either. Relying on meth and lots of timing to get to 400 is not what I would personally qualify as reliable.

15. amonsta

amonsta Member

^^^ Ditto!! Wanna talk reliable?? Try a 190k on a stock motor sti with a killshot rotated kit and tunning by Mike Sargent......... almost 40k on the turbo kit and counting. Save yourself time and money and go rotated the first time out.

16. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Not a reliable setup. Ask every Subaru guy who works at a shop on here if they would run Meth on their personal car.

17. I completely agree!!

18. HP and cheap DO NOT agree with each other, this is something you are going to have to realize.;)

19. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Someone is selling an awesome rotated kit for $1500

20. b reel

b reel Active Member

unless it's a small block cheby

21. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Someone please don't buy it, cause I want it or else my wife will end up spending it on clothes...LOL!