Alex's 2004.5 STi! -- 12/15: S204 Performance Damper Ordered! :p

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted

Mounted the tweeters today. I was unable to angel them towards the top center of the cabin. They're facing each other which provides an interesting off-axis listening enviornment. Music sounds great in this locatio, especially high toms like used on Chili pepper's blood sex sugar magic cd. Pass door card continues to rattle and may require additional trimming if the speaker is indeed contacting the card.

2. MattBallRules

MattBallRules Member

nice write up, looks good.

3. Alex

[​IMG]

:eek:hnoes:

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who did your timing belt?

5. Alex

I actually havent had the work done yet. I just got off the phone with Mr. Pool over at Six Star. I would love to take the time to do all of this myself but I just don't see it happen. Surprise, but I am trying to be reasonable about one DIY thing for a change. I guess 1 in 100,000 miles isn't half bad :rofl:

Also wanted to mention that the car has been tuned for 80,000 or so of these miles (IIRC). I'll have to double check my journal to confirm this, but that sounds accurate. I would say this is ex excellent example of the reliability of a solid Siegel tune. Thanks Scott! :clap:

Below is the list of what I plan on replacing. This is in addition to plugs and the standard fluid flush.

13028 AA240 Timing Belt 1.0
    13073 AA230 Timing Belt Idler 1.0
    13085 AA080 Timing Belt Double Idl 1.0
    21111 AA240 Water Pump 1.0
    21114 AA051 Water Pump Gasket 2.0
    13073 AA142 Timing Belt Idler 3.0
    21200 AA072 Thermostat 1.0
    SOA345001 Coolant Conditioner 1.0
    SOA868V9210 Subaru Coolant 2.0

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  6. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Looks like a pretty decent list.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The subaru coolant conditioner was for the older composite head gaskets and not really needed with mls head gaskets.

I would also recommend the crucial racing thermostat that fails open instead of closed.

What about the tensioner?

8. Alex

Good ideas and I think I left that off my list by accident.

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

welcome to the club.

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I find it ironic that your picture has the T missing from TRIP...

11. Alex

Got some updates planned for this weekend, as well (hopefully) some randomness for sale from my garage.

Stay tuned! :D

12. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Can't wait. Lol

13. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

You have my attn....

14. Alex

Working on one currently...This is really only the exciting one. Installed KB rear endlinks last weekend; there is a surprising difference with a larger bar. I would definitely recommend them! Still need to change oil, tranny and diff fluid as well as swap new plugs.

15. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Subscribed to the random for sale stuff in Alex's garage..

16. Alex

I'll let the small cat out of its even smaller bag--S2000 Retrofit! Caesar @ LightWerkz did a phenomenal job with version 2 of my headlights. This time around we installed a set of S2000 projectors and E46-R shrouds. Unbelievably, I have had these projectors since 2008...I think. I had originally planned to upgrade from the TSX to the S2000s ~6 months after I installed the TSXs waay back when.

Unfortunately, the rain destroyed any chance of taking night photos :( I do have some snaps that my Caesar sent over after they completed the work and I'll upload those tomorrow morning. Let's hope tomorrow, despite its 21F low, will be a good day for photos.

FWIW, I am done with anything and everything that has to do with headlights. I'm over the dust covering my garage and my house stinking like cherries! Headlight mods have been fun, and I'd be happy to help anyone with their projects. I've completed my last one for Mike @ Kill Shot and it's a great one to end it on.

More to come tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
  17. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Dang, S2K's projectors are better than 4 of my FX35 ones....:(

18. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

About time. Congrats

19. Alex

Matt @ The Retrofit Source sells a great lens upgrade for the FX35, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...d=134&osCsid=4bfa7a13c16d6b4a8df69fb14235d038

And our Matt needs a set of these for his TL-S, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...d=136&osCsid=4bfa7a13c16d6b4a8df69fb14235d038

I am working on having Matt (TRFS) and Caesar (LightWerkz) offer discounts on their parts and services for our community.

20. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

yeah, I need to get on that...not looking forward to dismantling the front end of the car though. :|

21. Alex

That's what some primo beer and brisket is for! :wiggle:

22. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I've seen that site a while back. May get me a few once I have time.

23. Alex

Or just let me know what you want and Ill take care of it. Perhaps we should put together a small order for either vendor. I am sure they'd appreciate the extra cash flow during this month.

LightWerkz S2000 Retrofit Installed! Here are the photos that Caesar sent me last week when they completed my conversion! :) I opted to add some color to version 2 of my lamps. Previously (search the journal) I had an all blacked out look with amber blinker bulbs and no parking lights. However, this time around Caesar chose this great metallic flake anthracite for me. Great choice! Caesar and his crew had this great idea recently on mounting the E46 shrouds. They've started trimming out the center somewhat so that the shrouds mount even deeper than before. This not only substantially improves coverage of the projector body, but also allows the nice stainless lens holder of most projectors to accent the entire conversion.

Also, I found a handful of random bulbs in the basement yesterday while rummaging around for some tools. In the box were the chrome covered blinker bulbs and a few of those 100% failure rate LED parking lights. I went with the chrome blinkers and the LEDs. I know that the LEDs will fail, and I will put a proper bulb in their place when they do. I give them till February...if that. Clean! :wiggle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been so long since Ive given my journal a proper update. Here's a basic recap (without photos atm) of whats happened lately...

• 100,000 mile service performed Juston @ Six Star Service in Decatur
    • Upgraded to Gates accessory belts
    • NGK 1-Step colders installed
    • ZeroSports aluminum splitter installed
    • Beatrush aluminum undertray installed
    • Kartboy rear droplinks installed
    • LightWerkz S2000 retrofit installed
    • JPM Coachworks alcantara/leather steering wheel installed
    • JPM Coachworks alcantara center stack in deep blue
    • JDM fogs pseudo installed and then removed; pending sale.
    • RAAMAT'd the front door inners, key areas of the floor and various noise makers in the trunk
    • Ensolite'd the front door inners, key areas of the floor and various noise makers in the trunk (basically any area I had installed RAAMAT
    • Built a new amp rack/mount that fits into the spare tire well for my new amp
    • Installed/tweaked my new DLS RA30 amp; simply sounds amazing paired with my DLS fronts
    • Techflex'd all major audio wiring that runs from front bulkhead to trunk and vice versa
    • Genuine V-Limited lip installed; now removed for "winter"
    • Decided against installing my 24mm Whiteline fsb; opted to keep my 27-29mm adjustable
    • Picked up a wingless, primer black Impreza trunk deck (thanks Joey!)

Here's whats on the shortlist of what's next:
    • OEM JDM front bumper beam
    • New tires...Blizzaks? :rofl:
    • New wheels...
    • Whispbar roof rack
    • Drill/tap OEM roof molding brackets to support the roof rack and provide a clean, factory-eqsue install
    • STI side skirts
    • RallyArmour UR mud flaps
    • STI trunk deck lid
    • Limited deck spoiler or perhaps something a little different -- modelista or something clean perhaps?
    • TIC clunk killer

And finally here's what I found in my garage while cleaning up last weekend that I've apparently forgotten to install:
    • GFB short shifter
    • TIC shift linkage bushings
    • Kartboy front and rear stay bushings
    • OEM transmission support
    • TIC transmission cross-member bushings

I know I'm missing something...and it'll come to me after I click "Submit Reply" :wiggle:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  24. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

That looks hawt! I'll probably just order the lens. I like to do most of the work myself though. We'll see.

25. Alex

I don't blame ya there. 30 or so retrofits later and Im happy to barter out the work ;)

Quick snaps of the ARC pulley cover (finally had the hardware made to install it) and the lights installed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Those lights look Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

27. Alex

Thanks! :)

28. superdoughboy4

Yeah. Wow. Can't wait to see them on Tuesday.

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Everything Alex puts on his car is nice. Looking good there!

30. Alex

[​IMG]

Found one of these on IWSTI last night! I've always been curious to just see one of these in person. Now I'll get to hold one and even install it :) This is the S204 front damper developed by STI in collaboration with Yamaha. This part debuted on the S204 and is "supposed" to work wonders with the Impreza chassis. This piece is installed beneath the engine bay. And yes, I realize it resembles an oversized hot pink hood damper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worse case is that I snagged it at a reasonable price and will be able to re-sell it at what I purchase it for provided it is does nothing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Interesting. Don't they make one similar for the rear too?

32. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

So the presence of this product verfiy's there is chassis flex prevalent in corners?

33. Alex

I would imagine so. I'm just curious and thought this was a good opportunity to actually see what's up with the part.

34. Alex

Yep...

[​IMG]

I'd really love to snag a S203/4 wing -- too bad they just dont exist for sale. Closest I could come would be the replica :(

[​IMG]

Also been thinking about moving away from the Swift Spec-Rs that I have installed currently to a set of genuine STi pinks. I feel they may be a better match for my spec-c ra struts.

35. Alex

S204 damper is here :D

36. superdoughboy4

Sweet! Picssss.

37. Jake

Jake Active Member

looks like a baseball bat

38. Banana

Banana Member

Any news on the aforementioned discount? About to make a purchase from TRFS in the next week or so.

P.S. your headlights are awesomeness.

39. Alex

Should have that finalized by tomorrow :)

40. Alex

Use coupon code "WRXATL" ;)

41. Alex

42. fourdegrees

fourdegrees Member

Did the damper work, or was it never installed?