Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Never played around with editing videos and adding music soundtracks, but we just got back from Breck and I have over 20gigs of movies I'd like to cut down into a 10-15 minute segment showing various clips.

So, what's the best / easiest to use? I'm not looking for James Cameron style stuff, but something that is very user friendly and does a quality job.

2. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Hate to say it, but iMovie's pretty easy. Should definitely be able to handle a job like that. Maybe since Nicad hates his Mac so much you can borrow it.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Adobe Premiere is awesome but its expensive and requires 64bit OS now -- at least thats if you want to use CS5.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have tried and liked Sony Vegas Home Movie Studio.

The consumer versions are fairly inexpensive($50-$120) and I found them to be easy to figure out.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare

For me to recommend a Sony product is a big deal, as I normally avoid Sony at all costs.

iMovie is great but it can be limiting.

Premiere is still the gold standard but the "Elements" version is very limited and hard to figure out without a guide and the Pro version is very expensive and very hard to figure out without a guide.

5. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Premiere, but it's not the easiest to just start video editing with.
    Take note: Stay far away from any shitty program such as WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER, or SONY VEGAS.
    They will make you want to kill somebody. Sony Vegas is better than WMM though.
    It won't crash when it wants to.

The only thing with Premiere is that it wasn't meant for video editing as in taking content from something like a movie and then cutting it up and putting it back together.
    You'll most likely have to convert the videos because Premiere doesn't like opening up certain codecs.

6. 07Ltd#767

good point, they're all mpeg4 files (GoPro HD), and I'm running Windows 7 64 on my desktop

Price point doesn't matter, like I'd pay for any computer software...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  7. 07Ltd#767

and premiere sounds like it's worth trying out...plus, I need the rest of the Adobe software anyway...

Just got Adobe Creative Suites 5, Master Collection containing:
    * Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended
    * Adobe Illustrator CS5
    * Adobe InDesign CS5
    * Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro**
    * Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5
    * Adobe Flash Professional CS5
    * Adobe Flash Builder 4
    * Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
    * Adobe Fireworks CS5
    * Adobe Contribute CS5
    * Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
    * Adobe After Effects CS5
    * Adobe Soundbooth CS5
    * Adobe OnLocation CS5
    * Adobe Encore CS5**
    * Adobe Bridge CS5
    * Adobe Device Central CS5
    * Adobe Dynamic Link

8. Alex

Nice. I re-upped my web dev CS5 and have really be loving the changes made in the latest edition of Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, etc. I only mentioned the 64bit because starting with CS5 they've dumped Premier for 32bit. If you use photoshop, they expanded the scratch disc size from 2GB to 4GB which has been a huge help for me lately. I used Premier a good bit in school and at one point was quite handy with it. It's definitely not the creme de la creme, but its awesome considering it isnt $25,000 worth of software.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  9. blaster

If you're not concerned about price, might as well get Final Cut Studio.

10. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Yeah that software is awesome last checked a few years ago. But it was for Mac back then...wait...is this a.k.a. Final Cut Pro?

11. blaster

Yep. It's sold as a suite of programs now with LiveType and Motion among other things.

12. Alex

Final Cut is fun but in the time it takes you to learn how to save your file you'd be done in anything else :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.