Best VALUE in high speed internet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by motomark, Dec 30, 2010.

1. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

I only need high speed internet. Needs to be min 5MB down, closer to 10MB would be nice. Comcast is raping me to the tune of $59.95/month just for internet. I don't want to bundle anything else. I watch Netflix/Hulu Plus primarily. Anyone have good reports on say Clear or other options?

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Clear sucks. The response time is terrible and i loose connection all the time.

3. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

For just one year though and you don't need a phone line. Just sign up for one year and then cancel it at the end of 12 months. Find a new one cheaper afterwards.

ATT DSL Plan Details

Click to Chat With an Online Representative
    FastAccess® DSL Direct 6.0M
    $24.95
    Look at what you get:

* $24.95/mo. for a full 12 months with no term commitment. Save $23.00/mo. off the regular $47.95 price. That's a savings of $276.
    * Wi-Fi access for Internet on the go
    * AT&T Internet Security Suite - powered by McAfee® ($5/mo value)
    * HomeNetworking Plus available at no extra cost ($5/mo. value)*

With FastAccess® DSL Direct 6.0M, you can enjoy all the benefits of FastAccess® DSL without the need to get home phone service. With downstream speed up to 100x faster than dial-up, FastAccess® DSL Direct 6.0M goes head to head with cable and is a better value in the long run.

Best suited for: home networking, streaming video, online gaming, downloading movies, and sharing photos

Downstream Speed: Up to 6.0 Mbps
    Upstream Speed: Up to 512 Kbps
    IP Address: 1 Dynamic

Wi-Fi Access - all of our Internet plans include AT&T Wi-Fi Basic access so you can stay connected when away from home. Use your laptop to access the Internet at thousands of hotspots nationwide, including airports, coffee shops, restaurants, and bookstores. Visit www.attwifi.com for more info.

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

your neighbor's unsecured router

5. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

How'd I know you'd have the best answer of all? LOL! Tough to beat free...

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

I use the neighbors but comcast will cut you a deal when you tell them you are bailing.

7. i second Clear being awful. They claim speeds up to 6 mb/s but it never came close to that and I also lost signal all the time and its just about as expensive as the alternatives.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

What brian said. Call and threaten to cancel and they will give you whatever special they have.

9. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

That works with most ISPs I think. Just to hook you into keeping their service.
    Also, like everyone else said, stay AWAY from Clear. Bullshit advertising. Upcharging for shitty internet.
    BUT it's good for strictly mobile internet usage, without a real need to buffer say videos and such.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

If you peruse FatWallet.com you should be able to snag their 12-20mbps plan for something like $19.95 per month for 1 year. As much as I hate Comcast, Charter was worse. I went to U-Verse because Comcast wasnt in the area when I told Charter to go fly a kite.

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

WHat did you hate about charter? I have 20/10 internet for 59.

12. nygiant

nygiant Member

Uverse is frickin awesome. plus they gave me 300 bucks just to open an account.

13. Alex

I just found their overall service and customer support to be lack-luster. Didn't help their their TV programming was awful. I just dont find their service options comparable to U-Verse or Comcast. And wow, cannot believe I just gave Comcast a complement :|

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Which is why Charter is going bankrupt. :)

15. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SCH-I500 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I'm sure Comcast / xfinitywill make that acquistion.